Sign in to follow this  
w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

A look at the times when we liked George W. Bush

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

"No matter what you think of Bush's policies," said a friend of mine at lunch the other day, "you have to admit that he's a decent man. I mean, that's just obvious: He's a good man. Why can't people see that?"

Well, some can, some can't. Our 43d president provokes very strong emotions, to say the least. Many people flat-out hate him (and aren't shy about saying so). Some of us - fewer of us - love him. Probably very few people are lukewarm about him.

He has been anathematized to an extraordinary degree. "It's a wonder he can get out of bed in the morning," said Norman Podhoretz, the famed writer. But he does. And he tells people around him, "Don't worry about the popularity of the moment. We can leave judgments to posterity."

For now, President Bush seems virtually friendless. Many on the left regard him as a rank right-winger: against government in the domestic realm, and for war and mayhem in the foreign. Many on the right regard him as a hopeless moderate or "squish": for big spending, amnesty, and bailouts; unwilling to confront Iran, North Korea, and other menaces (no matter what he's done in Iraq and Afghanistan).

Seldom have perceptions of a public figure varied so wildly.

Looking back on the Bush years, I think of instances that bring out the character and (to me) likability of the man. I will share a few of those here.

At the beginning of his first term, he agonized over an extremely difficult issue: fetal stem-cell research. And he agonized over it in a thoughtful way. He faced up to the issue manfully.

And he has been manful in facing wounded soldiers, or the families of the dead (almost always away from the camera's eye). He has been forthright in accepting the consequences of his decisions. He is not a shifter of blame.

A bit of humor? At a big Washington dinner in 2002, Ozzy Osbourne, the wacky rocker, pointed to his extravagant locks and said, "Mr. President, you ought to wear your hair like mine!" The president responded, "Second term, Ozzy, second term."

At the White House, Bush was host to his Yale classmates for a reunion. One man showed up . . . as a woman. She said, "You might remember me as Peter when we left Yale." He said, "And now you've come back as yourself."

That's the reaction of a Neanderthal Texas Bible-thumper?

In New Orleans, Bush was talking to a man who had fled to Utah during Hurricane Katrina. The president said to him, "Were you the only black man in Salt Lake City?"

There is a president who is "comfortable in his own skin," as they say. And he has the gift of being able to talk to virtually anybody.

Another story: Bush is riding along in his limo one day, waving at people. One of these people flips him off. The president turns to the guy sitting next to him and says, "Not a fan."

And how has he handled the current transition period? About life after Jan. 20, he has said, "One thing I don't want to do is stay on the stage. The spotlight needs to shift to President-elect Obama . . . because he's the president. Therefore, I won't try to get it shifted to me. And I'll be very respectful of him during his presidency."

That is in marked contrast, I might say, to two of his own predecessors, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.

Truth is, some of us Bush supporters wish he had been more robust in his own defense. The Bush PR effort, to the extent there has been one, has been woeful. But some people admire the president's relative restraint. He has been pounded and pounded, and almost never has lashed back.

You know the expression "He's the bride at every wedding, and the corpse at every funeral"? That does not apply to George Bush. He has his share of braggadocio (which drives his detractors nuts); but there is also genuine humility.

On the subject of religion, he has been notably discreet. Clinton, during the impeachment drama, would show up at the Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington, waving a big Bible at the cameras. If Bush did something similar, cries of "Theocracy!" would be loud.

He once said of his vice president, "Cheney is not a hugger. But he loves deeply." Bush loves deeply, too - and is definitely a hugger. Indeed, he can be downright touchy-feely (another thing that bothers many conservatives).

Not that he's all sweetness and light - far from it. Anybody who has been around him for long knows he can be a real sumbitch. In a memoir, former speechwriter David Frum put it this way: In a White House of "sweet," the president himself was "tart."

And his stubbornness is famous, or infamous: This can be a boon in a leader; it can also be an impediment. To many, it seemed that he (and we) were going nowhere in Iraq. But he made the adjustments necessary to succeed, and has left the new president with a valuable gift: an upper hand.

One person who knows the extreme reactions George W. Bush provokes is the man himself. In his 2004 convention speech, he heavily hinted at this, saying, for example, "Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas is called 'walking.' " For many people - millions - President Bush is simply fingernails on a chalkboard, someone who can do nothing right.

You can't please everyone. But he has pleased some of us. I will miss his decency and directness and honesty. I will miss his fundamental goodness. And I daresay this would be the case if I were in his Democratic opposition.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/currents/37400824.html

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ha, I am a friend of those who have no friends. Well, maybe with the exception of GWB, why to the newspapers report he already broke over 650 laws of our US Constitution? When he took a oath to defend it?

I feel such allegations should not go unnoticed. But the general thought is to move ahead so the next president can even break more laws.

Filed: Timeline
"No matter what you think of Bush's policies," said a friend of mine at lunch the other day, "you have to admit that he's a decent man. I mean, that's just obvious: He's a good man. Why can't people see that?"

Even before he was President, he was an intellectually incurious alcoholic cocaine addict frat-boy who mismanaged the baseball team his daddy bought him. And that's after he went AWOL from the silver-spoon National Guard unit his daddy bought him into so he could avoid serving in Vietnam.

I'm sure he was a cute baby.

Edited by mox

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
But the general thought is to move ahead so the next president can even break more laws.

now that's just crazy talk! :jest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey,

When you daddy is the head of the CIA/Vice President, you have unlimited power or Uncle Sam can disappear you ;) moreover, you can even trick people into believing that you are actually smart because you daddy is smart.

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Of course he's a "decent man".. torture is a decent thing after all, murder is decent, theft is decent, lying is decent.. there's a long list I'm sure... all this from a so called christian? The man should be tried for war crimes in my opinion and locked up for life along with most of the so called cabinet of thieves and murders. These people have raped the country, sold it's soul and committed criminal acts in it's name and people have the nerve to call them "decent"? The guys that founded this country all of them must be spinning in their graves.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16