Clarity

Preparing to File K1 Visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey VJers'

We are new to the site as members but have been reading so much till we've turned cross-eyed (lol). My boyfriend is a US citizen and I am a Canadian citizen. We have our wedding tentatively set for June 5, 2010 and wanted to know when is the best time to start the petition paperwork? He Hasn't proposed as yet but will be in the next few months. Any advise?

Much appreciated.

POWER HOUSE COUPLE

July 6/09 - I-129F form sent to USCIS

July 13/09 - NOA 1 received

October 8/09 - NOA 2 received yeaaaaaa!

October 14/09 - NVC received package

October 20/09 - Package sent to Montreal from NVC

October 22/09 - Package received at Montreal

October 29/09 - Packet mailed out from Montreal

November 6/09 - Packet 3 received, yeeeeaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

November 12/09 - Packet 3 sent

November 16/09 - Packet 3 received at consulate

December 2/09 - Medical appt with Panel Physicians. All went well. Little bruising from getting blood taken but everything went well.

January 25/10 - Confirmed with the Department of State interview date is March 8/10

February 2/10 - Appointment Letter received

March 8/10 - Interview Date; Status = APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Move Date - April 3, 2010, 16 hour drive but thankfully we made it.

Wedding - 06/06/10

Hey VJers'

We are new to the site as members but have been reading so much till we've turned cross-eyed (lol). My boyfriend is a US citizen and I am a Canadian citizen. We have our wedding tentatively set for June 5, 2010 and wanted to know when is the best time to start the petition paperwork? He Hasn't proposed as yet but will be in the next few months. Any advise?

Much appreciated.

Well - welcome to the board!

Best bet is to look at the FAQ's and Guides to get an idea of what you want to do.

You can't do the K-1 if you get married, you would need to do the K-3 to start with. (if you plan on that wedding date).

So you would have to wait till your married before you begin that paperwork!

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

K-3 or a CR-1 you're already married, yep.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Timeline

Also if you are planing on going with a K-1, marriage in june is HIGHLY "best case scenario". We sent in the paperwork on april 5th, got NO RFEs, and just got an interview today. Don't book caterers quite yet ;p

°»UnstrungLeSin«°

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hey VJers'

Much appreciated.

K1 requires the marriage take place in the US after the visa is issued but within 90 days of US entry. You will not have the visa in time for a June 10 wedding, meaning you'll either need to change the date or considerably or wait until after the marriage to file for a spouse visa. See the "Guides".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

hmmm they're not married.

Having a tenative wedding date is ok but I wouldnt put any money down just yet. The K-1 process can take 6-12 months (+/-) depending on many circumstances. But the process and timelines change all the time.

The initial petition stage can take up to about 6 months to approve and then the petition is sent to one of the two Embassies in Canada where you will wait to be interviewed. Have a look at the Embassy info/Review link above to find out wait times for that Embassy. I think it's a couple months.

Once you have the K-1 visa in hand you will then have 6 months in which to use it to enter the U.S. and then 90 days in which to marry. So, plan your filing and interview for the visa accordingly.

Welcome to VJ. :)

Hey VJers'

Much appreciated.

K1 requires the marriage take place in the US after the visa is issued but within 90 days of US entry. You will not have the visa in time for a June 10 wedding, meaning you'll either need to change the date or considerably or wait until after the marriage to file for a spouse visa. See the "Guides".

June 5, 2010 I hope it doesn't start taking that long! ;)

timeline.jpg

Timeline

Thank you for the responses. Our wedding will be taking place in the US around the time stated, well at least we hope. Now I live in Toronto. Will I really have to drive 5 hours to Montreal for the interview? Does anyone know if the consulate in downtown Toronto does the visa interviews????

POWER HOUSE COUPLE

December 2/09 - Medical appt with Panel Physicians. All went well. Little bruising from getting blood taken but everything went well.

January 25/10 - Confirmed with the Department of State interview date is March 8/10

March 8/10 - Interview Date; Status = APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding - 06/06/10

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Thank you for the responses. Our wedding will be taking place in the US around the time stated, well at least we hope. Now I live in Toronto. Will I really have to drive 5 hours to Montreal for the interview? Does anyone know if the consulate in downtown Toronto does the visa interviews????

Sorry for misunderstanding you tentative date. I was thinking 2009, not 2010. Toronto doesn't do fiance(e) or spouse interviews.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thank you all for the info. We will keep you posted on our journey. Looks like we will be starting by mid February.

POWER HOUSE COUPLE

Wedding - 06/06/10

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thank you all for the info. We will keep you posted on our journey. Looks like we will be starting by mid February.

Sounds like you will be starting your journey around the same time as we are! (my guy is coming up around the 12th and is bringing the ring with him) WOOHOO! We're hoping to have our reception/ceremony type thing in 2010 as well, but going to do the civil ceremony to fulfill the requirements for the AoS. Our processing center is in Montreal, but theres some doctors in TO I believe so at least we are luck there (I'm from Kingston). I suggest popping to the regional board too, the Canadian people are very helpful with pretty much any question u might have, and they have like little groups of filers so that ppl who end up getting interviews at the same time in Montreal can meet up and say hi :D Welcome to the journey with us!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.