angelRN

MILITARY concerns

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
my fiancee is a us marines...

we wer jst thinking...

what if he gets deployed when the k1 visa is approve (or when i get there)...

any advice... thank you

oh well he is a reserve... not active...

My fiance is also a US Army, he is deployed in Iraq for 2 years,but on March he will be in US for 2 weeks for our wedding day.

So I am hoping for my Visa approvalsoon, so that I will be in US on March

we wer jst thinking...

any advice... thank you

The K-1 is valid for six months before travel. Once you get there, you will need to get married in the first 90 days.

Since he is military, he can probably get some sort of extension. Have the petitioner contact USCIS to see what you can do.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Not sure how the US military does it, but i recall the UK military have what is called a families officer who deals with matters pertaining to family issues - it may be worth contacting his CO who could probably point him in the direction of someone who is aware of how to deal with such situations.

Good Luck

USCIS tends to work with service members doing visa petitions and being deployed.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

They'll arrange something, the issue just has to be brought to the chain of command.

05AUG08 - Prepared I-129F at attorney's office

07AUG08 - Case received at VSC

13AUG08 - NOA1

18AUG08 - Touched

10DEC08 - NOA2

19DEC08 - Confirmed package left NVC, en route to Bogota

02JAN09 - Confirmed package received at Bogota

05JAN09 - Sent Package 3 by fax, waiting for some type of confirmation

09JAN09 - Called DOS, received appointment date of 09FEB2009, 0700

05FEB09 - Completed lab and medical

09FEB09 - Embassy appointment, visa approved

16MAR09 - Atlanta POE

26MAR09 - Requested SSN

25APR09 - Wedding date set

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
They'll arrange something, the issue just has to be brought to the chain of command.

i really don't think the chain of command gets involved much other than writing a memorandum.

for the op of the thread:

a brief search on the word "deploy" in this forum generates quite a few threads concerning this topic

link

pdf info link

another info link, not pdf

also for the op, keep this in mind:

For the benefit of others, I should probably also add that the expedite needs to be requested through the USCIS ...and then again at each stage of the process thereafter. It will not just happen because they have a deployment letter on file with your petition.
Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi, my fiance asked his commanding officer for a vacation, and he is given a 1 month leave, but it change to 2 weeks.Then after 2 weeks he need to return back to Iraq.

Your fiance need to talk to his commanding officer

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

i really don't think the chain of command gets involved much other than writing a memorandum.

The CoC has full authority to modify a persons deployment status.

05AUG08 - Prepared I-129F at attorney's office

07AUG08 - Case received at VSC

13AUG08 - NOA1

18AUG08 - Touched

10DEC08 - NOA2

19DEC08 - Confirmed package left NVC, en route to Bogota

02JAN09 - Confirmed package received at Bogota

05JAN09 - Sent Package 3 by fax, waiting for some type of confirmation

09JAN09 - Called DOS, received appointment date of 09FEB2009, 0700

05FEB09 - Completed lab and medical

09FEB09 - Embassy appointment, visa approved

16MAR09 - Atlanta POE

26MAR09 - Requested SSN

25APR09 - Wedding date set

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

ah that's what you were talking about - i took it to mean them getting involved in the expedite process.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think you should have any problems because he's not active. We were wondering the same thing, although we decided to just get married and then file for CR-1 because although the wait is longer, it's a better visa in the end. Good luck!

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Depends on the fowardly deployed gaining commander. Make sure he contacts his CoC in his deployed location. One CO stateside can tell you one thing, and the deployed CO could be directing you to another. When it comes to deployments, it best to get that stuff done prior to him leaving, or better when he gets back.

we wer jst thinking...

any advice... thank you

my Fiance is in US Army, maybe he will be deployed while my K1 Is still on process..he will ask for expedite if he can,.

so that we can marry first and spend time together before he leaves for his deployment,.just be positive and pray..

everything will be alright..we will be with our sweetheart soon:)

post your timeline if you can.

Filed: Timeline

we wer jst thinking...

any advice... thank you

My husband is deployed too. We actually wanted to get my visa a couple of months before he got deployed so we had time to get married, send AOS papers and do everything for me to settle in. I've lived alone before too so it adjusting wasn't a big problem.

If your fiance is getting deployed then you can put in a request for military expedite for your K1. If he gets deployed after you come here. He will still know about the deployment a few months in advance. That will give you both time to prepare for it. The most important thing before he goes is - get married, get SSN, get Military dependants ID for you and add you on all his papers, send AOS package. The rest, his friends and family can help you with.

If you need any help, just send me a message, I can help you with what to do, been there, done that. All the best!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

my fiance in the US air force. adjustments will be made if necessary. no need to worry.

THE JOURNEY

03-31-08 - FILED for K1

04-16-08 - NOA1

06-11-08 - RFE on uscis website

08-12-08 - fiance started calling uscis every week cos he never got the RFE in the mail, requested for a new one

08-13-08 - touched

09-19-08 - touched

09-24-08 - touched

10-15-08 - new RFE finally in the mail (after hundreds of calls to uscis)

10-28-08 - fiance sent back RFE documents

10-31-08 - touched

11-04-08 - RFE reply recieved

11-05-08 - touched

11-10-08 - APPROVED (on uscis website)

11-11-08 - touched

11-13-08 - touched

11-17-08 - NOA2

11-24-08 - consulate received

12-15-08 - day 1 medical exam at SLEC

12-16-08 - day 2 medical exam results released

01-07-09 - INTERVIEW APPROVED

01-16-09 - visa received

02-12-09 - CFO

03-15-09 - FLIGHT

06-11-09 - wedding

07-10-09 - AOS

08-21-09 - biometrics

09-23-09 - repeat biometrics (argh!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.