trailmix

Who do you bank with in the U.S.?

31 posts in this topic

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Navy Federal... I love this bank.. (other than I don't have a branch in my own town), but they seem genuinely helpful and gave me my first credit card with a limit of 1000$ with no questions asked (or security)..

Only draw back is you have to "know someone".. it's all secret military like :)

Agreed...love Navy Fed.

There are restrictions on membership though. Thank goodness hubby had to join Navy Fed when he was in the Navy to deposit his cheques!

Been good to both of us. 2 CCs each and a $20,000 car loan.

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

I went with Chase because they offer Continental Airline miles on their debit card and credit card (The Chase Freedom credit card). So far I've earned enough for 2 free trips to Canada. I never bothered getting their actual Chase/Continental Mastercard as it's $85/year, whereas the Freedom card is free and offers cash back as well as airline miles.

I like ING for the high interest rate on savings accounts. They do offer a checking. But I just use them for savings.

Edited by Texanadian

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, I looked at ING. I like that they actually HAVE an interest rate (our current account pays 0.05 % - however when reading about it online I found that when you initially open the account they hold your funds for 10 days.

Now, we will still have a day to day account at another bank - so that isn't a huge issue - I am just hoping to get away from banks that do weird things like that.

For fun and giggles I will post the email I sent to RBC the other day, and their oh-so-not-helpful response:

My Email:

Hello,

Since I opened my accounts with RBC Canada and U.S., I have had nothing but trouble. Whether it is something simple like changing my address - and they put part of the city name on the address line - or ordering cheques, which they charged me for that I should not have been charged for - it is never simple to deal with your bank.

Yesterday I spoke with 4 different people to solve 1 issue.

I wanted to enroll in the rewards plan online (second attempt). I could not as it kept rejecting the information. After going in circles between the rewards program call center and the regular call center, I finally explained to the last person I spoke to, what the problem was (I had learned that the rewards program switched to a new program back in October and as some data was not successfully transferred, they would have to manually type in my WHOLE address to have it update in the rewards program database).

Now I ask you, why do I know this and an RBC customer service representative does not?

While on the phone with them I said, although I have a joint account with my Husband, I know you store our address separately for each of us. Can you please retype his address too so that when I go to link the accounts for rewards I won't have the same problem?

No - can't do it, the other account holder has to call.

So my next question to you is - why do you have 2 address areas for joint account holders? Common sense would dictate that you would hold the info in 1 with an option for clients to have an alternate address for the joint account holder.

Oh and how do I know about the separate data storage for the address - well of course I had to learn this when we moved.

RBC does not pay me to do their work and frankly I don't want the job.

I am shopping for a higher interest account for my money. Yesterday I questioned the representative about the 2.25% account you have advertised on your website.

I was told that account is for 'new money' - however she could put in a request to see if they might let me have this account??

I have no idea how you keep any clients. The only reason I opened an RBC account was so that you could look up my perfect Canadian credit rating when we go to buy a house this year - however that now pales to insignificance with the run around your bank gives me any time we try to do anything.

Response:

My name is Heather, and I've received your message in regards to the number of phone calls that you had to go through in order to access the Reward Program login page.

I appreciate that you took the time to share with us your concern in this matter. Please be assured that your concern has been escalated to our Customer Care Department for their review and consideration. Although it's not possible for this team to respond to all feedback, your input is very important to us as we continuously strive to meet your needs and improve our service.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns. You may contact us via email or by phone at 1-800-236-8872. Representatives are available from 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM (ET) Monday - Friday and 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM (ET) Saturday and Sunday.

Thank you again for contacting RBC Bank.

:lol:

Timeline

We also have an ING account that we use for savings!! It has been great!! And for once my laziness paid off,lol Awhile back I was suppose to transfer $$$$ from the ING account into one of our "investments" Needless to say that "investment" has gone downhill,lol So for once my laziness saved us big $$$$,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
We also have an ING account that we use for savings!! It has been great!! And for once my laziness paid off,lol Awhile back I was suppose to transfer $$$$ from the ING account into one of our "investments" Needless to say that "investment" has gone downhill,lol So for once my laziness saved us big $$$$,lol

:lol:

I still use RBC Centura and Royal Bank in Canada. I agree I have had many issues with the Royal in Canada and have pulled my morgage, line of credit and RRSP from them when they P'd me off last time. I still use it for my paycheck deposit and then transfer it to RBC Centura and general banking but refuse to give them a cent of interest. I'm just a little to lazy to change over to another Canadian bank that has a US division and get everything changed over and set up as I have direct deposit of my paycheck and all my Canadian bills set up with them.

We also use a local community bank in the US for our joint everyday banking.

Timeline
I still use RBC Centura and Royal Bank in Canada. I agree I have had many issues with the Royal in Canada and have pulled my morgage, line of credit and RRSP from them when they P'd me off last time. I still use it for my paycheck deposit and then transfer it to RBC Centura and general banking but refuse to give them a cent of interest. I'm just a little to lazy to change over to another Canadian bank that has a US division and get everything changed over and set up as I have direct deposit of my paycheck and all my Canadian bills set up with them.

We also use a local community bank in the US for our joint everyday banking.

It's good to hear that so many of you actually have banks that you like.

I'm going to do some research today on some of these.

My wife and I bank with huntington bank, they are the best. The customer service is awesome and they are sooo friendly. I would definately reccomend people to bank with them.

Removal of Conditions

05/20/2011.....................Sent off package today, so now playing the waiting game.(Day 1)

05/23/2011.....................Package was received(Day 3)

05/28/2011.....................Received NOA/one year extention letter dated 5/23/2011(Day 8)

06/04/2011.....................I got my biometrics letter in the mail, my appointment is for 06/13/2011@11:00am (Day 14)

06/13/2011.....................Biometrics appointment today @Cleveland, Ohio @11:00am (Day 23)

09/20/2011.....................Approved for 10yr green card, wooohooooo next step citizenship

09/24/2011.....................Received 10yr green card in the mail.

My window for Citizenship 05/20/2012

Bank of America - and we like them. I have always found them helpful and efficient. We have used their notary services as well as talking to an investment counsellor for CDs and IRAs. They have also called us when they noticed unusual activity on our account and we appreciated that, even though it was a legitimate transaction. I would actually recommend them. They also have bank machines in many convenient areas including inside Kroger's stores.

I agree with Kathryn..

Timeline

Well, after chatting with TD bank U.S. for some time, including their mortgage department, I decided to open an account with them. I just like the idea of having a bank that is affiliated with our Canadian bank - well all owned by the same company anyway.

He mentioned to me, the mortgage guy, that basically we will be on equal credit rating footing, when we have 1 year of credit history in the U.S. - they can also check our Canadian credit if need be.

Plus, you can wire money between your TD account and your TD U.S. account and they will refund the fee for that.

On the downside, they do charge for cheques to be printed, after your initial cheques and although they don't charge for you using other people's atm's - they really just refund all the charges at the end of the month. It doesn't really matter to me, just seems a little messy for record keeping purposes - but we shall see.

Tomorrow I will be closing my RBC Canada bank account (staying with TD)

I also opened a savings account with ING direct. In spite of the fact that they hold money, which is odd, it is a savings account and the interest rate is pretty good.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
They have a penny arcade and I won a tshirt once. Good times.

I got to TD (aka commerce) to use the penny arcade all the timzzzzzz! So much better then rolling coins!

I bank with Wamu/Chase and although I'd like to change I'm not going to to because A) I do minimal banking and B ) I get my paycheck deposited in my account and don't feel like messing that up.

That aren't that great though. They gave me an account without any ID before I came to the US in 2006. It's basically the bank for immigrants and people living below the poverty line where I live. Or so it seems...

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

WaMu used to be great where I live. No fees to use other bank ATM's, no fees on any basic services. That changed when they merged with Chase. Fees, fees, fees.

I really like Wells Fargo because they are very diligent. You get a free account if you have your paycheck direct deposited, and they also give free accounts to students. The icing on the cake for me was the ONE time I walked away from the ATM and left my card in the machine, the teller who saw it jumped over the counter and ran to the machine and grabbed the card before this guy who was going to would, and ran me down in the parking lot. Of course, he made me show him my proper ID to verify I wasn't a criminal too before giving me back my ATM card :thumbs:

Timeline
Well, after chatting with TD bank U.S. for some time, including their mortgage department, I decided to open an account with them. I just like the idea of having a bank that is affiliated with our Canadian bank - well all owned by the same company anyway.

He mentioned to me, the mortgage guy, that basically we will be on equal credit rating footing, when we have 1 year of credit history in the U.S. - they can also check our Canadian credit if need be.

Plus, you can wire money between your TD account and your TD U.S. account and they will refund the fee for that.

On the downside, they do charge for cheques to be printed, after your initial cheques and although they don't charge for you using other people's atm's - they really just refund all the charges at the end of the month. It doesn't really matter to me, just seems a little messy for record keeping purposes - but we shall see.

Tomorrow I will be closing my RBC Canada bank account (staying with TD)

I also opened a savings account with ING direct. In spite of the fact that they hold money, which is odd, it is a savings account and the interest rate is pretty good.

Yes ING does "hold" your fund for a few days when you first transfer it over. I have never had a problem as we use it as a savings account

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.