trailmix

Who do you bank with in the U.S.?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, after chatting with TD bank U.S. for some time, including their mortgage department, I decided to open an account with them. I just like the idea of having a bank that is affiliated with our Canadian bank - well all owned by the same company anyway.

He mentioned to me, the mortgage guy, that basically we will be on equal credit rating footing, when we have 1 year of credit history in the U.S. - they can also check our Canadian credit if need be.

Plus, you can wire money between your TD account and your TD U.S. account and they will refund the fee for that.

On the downside, they do charge for cheques to be printed, after your initial cheques and although they don't charge for you using other people's atm's - they really just refund all the charges at the end of the month. It doesn't really matter to me, just seems a little messy for record keeping purposes - but we shall see.

Tomorrow I will be closing my RBC Canada bank account (staying with TD)

I also opened a savings account with ING direct. In spite of the fact that they hold money, which is odd, it is a savings account and the interest rate is pretty good.

Yes ING does "hold" your fund for a few days when you first transfer it over. I have never had a problem as we use it as a savings account

Yeah, and that is how it is supposed to be used and I can see their logic to a point.

I just like banks to not be high handed with MY money, it's a thing I have :lol:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.