13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife is from the Philippines and is here in the US on a K-3 non-immigrant visa. She had her medical exam in the Philippines but did not get any vaccinations then.

So its time to file for her AOS so I went to the civil surgeon with her and we were ready to get the required vaccinations until he mentioned she needed an HPV vaccine. At the time I didn't know much about this vaccine and we were about to do it until he told us the Gardasil vaccine was locked in the pharmacy and it was closed. So we went home without getting any shots and I did some research on this vaccine and it seems to be a little scary with reports of adverse side affects in some cases. I really don't want to inject my wife with this stuff being that she is breastfeeding our 11 month old son and feel that its wrong for the USCIS to impose this vaccine on married women of good moral character.

So my question is.. Is there any way around these vaccinations? or will our AOS application certainly fail? What would be our best chance in regard to getting a waiver for these vaccinations? Claiming moral and Religious convictions and filing form I-601?

Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Recommended but not required... My wife did not take the HPV vaccination and we have not recieved and RFE

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Timeline
Recommended but not required... My wife did not take the HPV vaccination and we have not recieved and RFE

Well according to the civil surgeon it is a requirement and he wasn't going to sign off on the form unless we did it. What did the civil surgeon tell you? That it was optional?

I read up on HPV also as I was considering having my daughter get it. After a lot of talking to Mr. Google there is no way I'd let her do so.

If I were you I'd shine it on and see what happens. Lots get away without even submitting the I-693.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
I read up on HPV also as I was considering having my daughter get it. After a lot of talking to Mr. Google there is no way I'd let her do so.

If I were you I'd shine it on and see what happens. Lots get away without even submitting the I-693.

So would it better to just file my AOS application without form I-693 and hope it slips by?

Because I was planning to go back to the civil surgeon to have him sign off and put it in the sealed envelope stating that we did not want the vaccinations due to moral and religious convictions.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

wow thats interesting. you know, i had my medical in november, and my civil surgeon (who was a bit weird anyway) didn't mention anything about that gardasil shot, although i'm 22 and therefore in the age group. he made a copy of my medical which i have, and he didn't fill anything out in the HPV column. i just recently learned that i have to have it, and i researched, and there is no way i'll get that shot. i simply do not want something with possible horrible side effects like that. and side effects are more common and serious than doctors admit. i think it's not rightto make it mandatory for all AOS applicants, it should be my own free choice. i don't want to play guinea pig for a pharma industrie.

in any case.. we sent our AOS packet, i haven't received a RFE for the medical so far, and i really hope, it stays that way. my interview is in march.

08/26/08 - arrival on VWP to meet my boyfriends family for a month

09/29/08 - heartbroken, didn't take flight back

10/26/08 - surprising proposal

10/31/08 - halloween wedding :)

11/07/08 - I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 sent via USPS express

11/10/08 - package received

11/19/08 - checks cashed

11/25/08 - NOAs received

12/08/08 - RFE received

12/11/08 - Biometrics

12/12/08 - RFE send back

01/09/09 - EAD/AP approved

03/10/09 - interview (pending approval)

03/20/09 - welcome letter

03/31/09 - green card received

So would it better to just file my AOS application without form I-693 and hope it slips by?

Because I was planning to go back to the civil surgeon to have him sign off and put it in the sealed envelope stating that we did not want the vaccinations due to moral and religious convictions.

Get the I-693 without the shot. I wouldn't submit it. If you get lucky you may not even have a interview. You may get a RFE so send it in. If you don't and have a interview take it with you and submit it then IF asked for.

Just my 2 cent!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

I had another thought or question.. Since my wife had her medical exam before June 1, 2008 is she required to receive the new vaccinations?

Here's the link I found on the uscis website.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

I would really like to get the doctor to sign off on our I-693 or I am most likely going to have to file a waiver which carries another $500 filing fee if we refuse all injections.

I am very much opposed to getting this HPV vaccine but willing to get her the old vaccination requirements in order for the doctor to sign off.

Again I thank you for your help and information.

WRONG! It is required for women 26 years old and younger. But I believe that if you are breastfeeding, are pregnant, or want to become pregnant in the near future, you could get it waived by the CS.

The reason that the CS was so eager to give her this vaccine is that they charge a lot for it. It costs about $150-170 per shot X 3 shots. You can always get it at a county health clinic for much cheaper. If you go to your private doctor, your insurance should cover it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

where did you get than information from?

As for adverse side effects, remember that aspiring has caused all sorts of weird things to happen to people.

If you google any of the vaccines you will find groups against giving vaccinations, sometimes entirely - that's why you will see diseases like polio coming back again, people are scared of vaccines because of misinformation.

but I'm no doctor, and I suppose most people on here aren't either.

I would ask your family doctors advice on the vaccine, but remember it is a REQUIREMENT for the AOS procedure if you are female and fall into the age category, hoping that they miss it is unlikely as the civil surgeon has a responsibility when completing your form.

03/01/2007 - POE - JFK (L-1 Visa)

01/15/2008 - Proposed

03/15/2008 - Married

09/02/2008 - Sent AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-693)

09/03/2008 - Received - Signed by SMITH

09/04/2008 - Checks deposited

09/10/2008 - Checks cleared ($1010 + $355)

09/12/2008 - 2 NOA's received (I-130, I-485) - Dated 09/08/08

09/16/2008 - Received notice for biometrics appointment on 09/30/2008

09/20/2008 - Biometrics done - Walk in (Orlando) Took 10 minutes

09/22/2008 - I-485 viewable online (pending, of course)

09/30/2008 - Biometrics Appointment (2pm)

12/30/2008 - Received Interview Letter

02/25/2008 - Interview

03/06/2008 - Welcome Letter received (the website will clearly never send me updates!)

From USCIS website:

Q: What are the new vaccination requirements?

The CDC has revised its vaccination requirements. As of July 1, 2008, the following additional vaccinations are required in order to adjust status to legal permanent resident:

• Rotavirus

Hepatitis A

Meningococcal

Human papillomavirus

Zoster

NOTE: Some of these vaccinations are required for certain age groups only. During the examination with the civil surgeon, he or she will review the vaccination history, and may determine that certain vaccinations are not necessary or not appropriate. Specific information on vaccines, including tables on age-appropriate vaccines and ACIP recommendations, are available at CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD) website, accesible in the related links section of this page

Edited by Eric-Pris

Timeline
From USCIS website:

Q: What are the new vaccination requirements?

The CDC has revised its vaccination requirements. As of July 1, 2008, the following additional vaccinations are required in order to adjust status to legal permanent resident:

• Rotavirus

Hepatitis A

Meningococcal

Human papillomavirus

Zoster

NOTE: Some of these vaccinations are required for certain age groups only. During the examination with the civil surgeon, he or she will review the vaccination history, and may determine that certain vaccinations are not necessary or not appropriate. Specific information on vaccines, including tables on age-appropriate vaccines and ACIP recommendations, are available at CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD) website, accesible in the related links section of this page

Scroll down to the Guide to Revised Form I-693, TB Testing/Treatment and Vaccination Requirements in the link you provided.

It says, Do I have to receive the new vaccines (if age appropriate?)

Date of Medical Exam Before June 1, 2008

Answer: No

So do the new vaccination requirements apply to my wife? She had her medical exam on March 4, 2008 in the Philippines before June 1, 2008.

We are meeting with the CS next week and we're going to tell him we're trying to conceive and see if that will get him to mark it not appropriate.

I'd be interested to know how that goes. Please post back once you get an answer and good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.