Chamy and Gatita

advice for visa applicants

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

hhhmm yes... better than nothing is a foreign DL...... but the best.... is be careful and follow all the rules. I am in Texas and i needed a SSN and EAD to get my DL. prior that, i drived as less as posible and ALWAYS follow the rules. Also kept a copy of my wedding certificate and the car insurance card despite i was not registered.

I have to accept that getting my texas DL, despite being temporary, is a great relief.......

K.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Good advice. ;) Driving laws are State specific. In Massachusetts my husband is allowed to drive using his international license for up to a year.

moved to moving here and your new life in America

Same applies here in Michigan.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

you THINK ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

In WI the rule is that you could drive with a foreign license for 1 year if you were not a perm resident. My husband was pulled over and ticketed (not to mention had to ditch the car and call a cab to get him) after being pulled over. The officer said he could not use his foreign license, my husband tried to explain the rule. We ended up going to court to appeal the ticket, printed off the information from the DMV website stating the rules and showed the DA. He said he wasn't aware of that and let the ticket go. It was a headache but it all worked out.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

google search: texas drivers license foreign

Foreign Driver Licenses

If you possess a foreign driver license, are between the ages of 18 and 75, and are now in Texas for an extended period or permanently, the state will recognize your license for up to one year following your arrival. This only applies for foreign nationals of countries that have reciprocity with the United States―in other words, countries that offer a similar privilege to U.S. citizens who are in their nation.

True, if you just go straight to the TX Dept. of Public safety site, you'll probably never find that. The 30 days bit is for other Americans who've moved to Texas. They don't have troubles with getting their license moved over. No need for I-94 etc for them.

For us? 1 year baby! I waited as long as I could. I'd already paid for a driver's license in Canada, so why pay for a duplicate year in the US was my thinking.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

i never got my license in Belgium, and honostly i dont regret it one little bit.

i got my permit right after i got my SSN (about a 3 weeks after i entered). i could take the road test like the day after (cause i`m clearly over 18). I took 5 hours of classes (we dont have a car) and the road test was the easiest road test i have ever heared off.

comparing that to the road test in Belgium...

and, i would have to do it again anyhow.

In massachusetts, just got to make sure you get your permit on time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.