Bern.

Declare Engagement Rings :S

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh yeah, another note. I don't plan to enter the United States for at least another 8-9 months, due to my fiance being deployed. And when I enter again, in probably late 2009, could my ring still cause problems or should I just leave it at home next time xD?

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline
Oh yeah, another note. I don't plan to enter the United States for at least another 8-9 months, due to my fiance being deployed. And when I enter again, in probably late 2009, could my ring still cause problems or should I just leave it at home next time xD?

Now that the ring was inspected and admitted to Canada with no conditions, I can't imagine you would have a problem with it.

You can always register anything valuable you travel back and forth with as something you owned before you left. That might give you some peace of mind. There was information on how to do that in the old engagement ring thread.

~ Catherine

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You're fine. You don't have to declare it anymore. Just enjoy it :) I just went through customs last week (US side) and the guy didn't even look at my hand.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I remember when I was given my engagement ring in the past (previous relationship) I wasnt sure how to declare it and asked customs upon arrival. The lady was really nice and asked me how do I feel about the ring... is it mine, or is it my fiance's ring ? I was stumped and she rephrased it - if we were to break off the engagement ring, who's is it?

Then I saw her point, lol.

I got away without having to declare or fill out any forms.

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

You have declared it and now it is considered imported (at least temp) if you are asked about it on your next trip you can tell them that you brought it through on such and such date, declared it to the officer and they didn't worry about it.

You could stop at Canadian Customs before you leave Canada next time and get a card to document it called a Y38. This will show that you have already had it in Canada already.

You have declared it and now it is considered imported (at least temp) if you are asked about it on your next trip you can tell them that you brought it through on such and such date, declared it to the officer and they didn't worry about it.

You could stop at Canadian Customs before you leave Canada next time and get a card to document it called a Y38. This will show that you have already had it in Canada already.

On my, now I have just dug through all my evidence for a copy of the sales receipt for my engagement ring purchased in Canada and now off to paypal to see if I can retreive a receipt for wedding ring purchased in USA. Thanks for the heads up. I go back to Canada today :crying::crying::crying: to await the rest of the visa process.

Janet

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On my, now I have just dug through all my evidence for a copy of the sales receipt for my engagement ring purchased in Canada and now off to paypal to see if I can retreive a receipt for wedding ring purchased in USA. Thanks for the heads up. I go back to Canada today :crying::crying::crying: to await the rest of the visa process.

Janet

Janet,

Have a safe trip. Hopefully the approvals will be coming through shortly for us August filers and you will be back before you know it.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

If you dont want to wear it on your ring just put it on a long chain and wear it under your clothes. they wont see it.

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

Janet

Janet,

Have a safe trip. Hopefully the approvals will be coming through shortly for us August filers and you will be back before you know it.

Thanks a lot, once I get on the plane I will be able to compartmentalize things and carry on :)

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Put that sucker on and walk on in.

Congrats :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

I didn't know I had to declare my ring and ended up eventually being asked about it by a Canada Customs officer (after at least a year of going back and forth wearing it in complete ignorance). I ended up paying $300 duty on it and they were being lenient with me on it's value.

Timeline

Well, I didn't include it on the form because I thought there would be another form for it. And I don't think the guy wrote down anything. Oh well, I guess I'll find out eventually xD! I won't be going back to the US until my K-1 is approved anyway, I have schooling to attend too... <_<

dev356pr___.png

Timeline

For future reference, if I stop by Canadian customs and get a Y38, won't I need some sort of appraisal, receipt or something o_o? I don't have anything like that. :wacko:

Sorry about all the questions. I over think everything :(

And I still don't think my customs officer wrote down anything regarding the damned ring x_x

dev356pr___.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.