Bern.

Declare Engagement Rings :S

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

uhm - am I missing something here? Since when does someone have to declare an engagement ring upon returning to Canada?

It is now your personal item, (someone made that comment above) and someone else made a good point - how would they possibly know it wasn't a year or 2 old or you got it yesterday - no matter which finger???

Been on here a while and I don't remember anyone ever being harassed about how old their ring was. not trying to be crusty, I just think it's nothing to worry about. I came back with my big, honking 'Ring of Happiness' and no one said as thing at customs

Congratulations Ber + Ter !!!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you everyone, I am just too paranoid ._. And this ring means a lot to me, and I'd hate to have it taken away from me. So basically, just act like it's nothing and I've had it for ages. :(?

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Yes, you are obligated to declare it. You are asked at Customs if you have purchased or recieved any goods or gifts while outside Canada. The ring is a gift aquired from outside of Canada. I have gone into depth as the possible consequences if you don't declare it in the following link.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163935

You're an intelligent adult and can make your own decision on what you are going to do and take responsiblility for your actions and possible consequences.

Filed: Timeline
Yes, you are obligated to declare it. You are asked at Customs if you have purchased or recieved any goods or gifts while outside Canada. The ring is a gift aquired from outside of Canada. I have gone into depth as the possible consequences if you don't declare it in the following link.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163935

You're an intelligent adult and can make your own decision on what you are going to do and take responsiblility for your actions and possible consequences.

hi neiks!!!! *waves*

Hi Len! *wave back*

Just want to add that I'm not trying to be the @hole on here - but I am just giving people the correct info to make their own decisions. Like I said we are all intelligent adults that are gathering info to make our own informed choices and the possible consequences of what ever decision you plan on making.

Have people brought in engagenment rings and not declared them and never had a problem? - absolutely.

Have I seen people declare them properly and have the officers (usually my choice of action) ask where they plan on living - answer the US - and say congratulations and let them on their way? - all the time.

Have I see engagements rings declared and then document on a E29B and have a deposit collected? Sometimes - not too often though.

Have I seen engagement rings seized? - absolutely - and it never ends in being a pretty picture - crying brides and PO's fiances.

Good luck to you any how.

Timeline

Although my future mother in law is telling me not to worry about it. I'm getting a bad feeling about it, and I am going to file with the E29B form. But how do I do this? Do I just go up to the customs officer and tell them that I am not sure how to declare it? And how much is the deposit usually? I have only $80 US and $150 CND left. >_<

I have already decided that I do not want to lose my ring, nor do I want to face any problems. However it mentions in that memo that I don't need to pay duty. So I wonder how much the deposit is. :S

Edited by Ber + Ter

dev356pr___.png

Timeline

Add on.

And thank you, neiks. :) You are not being an @hole, I am quite thankful that you are encouraging me to do the right thing...doesn't happen very often. But I am an honest person and I have nothing to hide.

But I do hope I get the, ''Have I seen people declare them properly and have the officers (usually my choice of action) ask where they plan on living - answer the US - and say congratulations and let them on their way? - all the time.'' result. If not, I'll just do the E29B document. :) And I have print outs of the actual memo and the E29B document just in case.

Edited by Ber + Ter

dev356pr___.png

Timeline

Yes but my new question is, how the heck do I declare it? :(

Do I just add it up with the rest of my purchases, or should I leave it blank

and when I go up to the window, should I ask them about it?

Should I ask to speak with a supervisor...what do I do? >_<

I just need to know :S!

And aprox how much of a deposit are we talking? :(

dev356pr___.png

Yes but my new question is, how the heck do I declare it? :(

Do I just add it up with the rest of my purchases, or should I leave it blank

and when I go up to the window, should I ask them about it?

Should I ask to speak with a supervisor...what do I do? >_<

I just need to know :S!

And aprox how much of a deposit are we talking? :(

I ended up declaring my engagement ring, when they asked why I was in the US I said I went to visit my fiance, then I stated I had jewelry to declare. I paid $300 deposit, but not sure how they figured that one out. It may have been a percentage of the total value, but mine had wedding band that they needed to factor out as my fiance is holding onto that in the US until we marry. Post #34 in the thread from a month ago had my review of the experience. Just bring the memo and explain to them what you need, it is likely that you may have a person who is inexperienced, so ask for a supervisor. Good luck!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

It is rare that we ever collect a deposit on it. Usually, we are just impressed that it does get declared....And I still encourage you to declare it as there are alot of newbie officers out there that are eager to seize something. I know they collected a deposit for minnew which I did find surprising - maybe b/c the officer once again was new and the supervisor wanted to "show the right thing" to do. Usually, only if there is concern that the ring isn't going to be leaving Canada - then a deposit may be taken. It's just not the norm for us to do that at our port - but every port seems to do things a little different. Just add it in on your declaration form saying you received an egagement ring. They may ask you a few more questions. You need not request a E29B - that is just the form that they would use if they decided to take a deposit and only ask for a supervisor if the officer is insisting that you are going to have to pay duty and tax on it - you don't want to insult an knowledgable seasoned officer.

Sorry, I can't remember off hand what the % is if they do want to take a deposit.... like I said - it rarely happens at our port that we do take a deposit.

It is rare that we ever collect a deposit on it. Usually, we are just impressed that it does get declared....And I still encourage you to declare it as there are alot of newbie officers out there that are eager to seize something. I know they collected a deposit for minnew which I did find surprising - maybe b/c the officer once again was new and the supervisor wanted to "show the right thing" to do. Usually, only if there is concern that the ring isn't going to be leaving Canada - then a deposit may be taken. It's just not the norm for us to do that at our port - but every port seems to do things a little different. Just add it in on your declaration form saying you received an egagement ring. They may ask you a few more questions. You need not request a E29B - that is just the form that they would use if they decided to take a deposit and only ask for a supervisor if the officer is insisting that you are going to have to pay duty and tax on it - you don't want to insult an knowledgable seasoned officer.

Sorry, I can't remember off hand what the % is if they do want to take a deposit.... like I said - it rarely happens at our port that we do take a deposit.

When I went through the land port and declared it, there was some "training" going on, so I am assuming thats the reason why I had to pay the deposit after reading your post.

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

The guy was just like, when do you plan on getting married? And I said, within a month of receiving my K-1 visa. He smiled, and told me congratulations and let me through. I thought they'd be a lot more grumpier...(my flight was delayed by 2 hours, so I went through customs at 2am)

dev356pr___.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.