MrsAmera

Tuesday Tuesday!

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Do/did any of you have problems speaking only English in the home, to help your SO?

Wadi had pretty much zero english when he arrived here. We communicated only in Italian. We tried the only english at home, but it was exhausting and stressful. After being apart we just wanted to enjoy each other's company and not stress about speaking english! We would keep it up for about an hour and then revert back. As he started to be forced to communicate in english at work, we started speaking more english at home. Three years later, I'd say we speak english at least 90% of the time now - in fact, my italian is getting rusty.

That was our situation as well - Jamal and I spoke exclusively Spanish since I met him and for about the first 9 months. I was amazed how quickly he picked up English as it took me forever to be fluent - I immigrated from Poland back in '91. Anyway, knowing Spanish had helped Jamal a great deal but he quickly realized how essential is to be fluent in English when you want to get a decent job. Right now we speak only English with few exceptions here and there.

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Aside from my prayers and the occaisional recognized word while he's on the phone I don't really comprehend Arabic so we've always just spoken in English 100% of the time to each other. I am grateful that his english was as good as it was when he got here and the colloquialisms (sp?) have greatly improved since he started working.

In other news I'm about ready to put some anti-depressents in his coffee in the am. My God I've never seen someone get so down each night after work because he doesn't make enough $. It's sooo hard not to be codependent and get down with him. Every night lately I try to coax what is bothering out of him and it takes a good 20 minutes and it's always the same answer...$$$$$. Last night he was in a super bad mood so I said, "are you angry about Gaza?" and he looked like I had three heads and he said "what about Gaza???? I'm worried about supporting you!!!".

:crying::crying::crying:

I keep trying to explain that he should be lucky he has a job at all. He is making money afterall while some have absolutely nothing but that's not good enough. It's just so hard and he's diving deeper into depression very quickly.

Rant over.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm fluent in Spanish, I want my fiance to learn it too. His English is pretty good, although I'll have to shift him from British swear words to American ones :innocent:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Timeline
Have fun explaining which words you can use when......had a fun time trying to explain why lexy could say..... p o o p and not .....s h * t

He'll learn those words from my birdie :innocent:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

Timeline

She says "WHAT THE F*** YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

:whistle:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Aside from my prayers and the occaisional recognized word while he's on the phone I don't really comprehend Arabic so we've always just spoken in English 100% of the time to each other. I am grateful that his english was as good as it was when he got here and the colloquialisms (sp?) have greatly improved since he started working.

In other news I'm about ready to put some anti-depressents in his coffee in the am. My God I've never seen someone get so down each night after work because he doesn't make enough $. It's sooo hard not to be codependent and get down with him. Every night lately I try to coax what is bothering out of him and it takes a good 20 minutes and it's always the same answer...$$$$$. Last night he was in a super bad mood so I said, "are you angry about Gaza?" and he looked like I had three heads and he said "what about Gaza???? I'm worried about supporting you!!!".

:crying::crying::crying:

I keep trying to explain that he should be lucky he has a job at all. He is making money afterall while some have absolutely nothing but that's not good enough. It's just so hard and he's diving deeper into depression very quickly.

Rant over.

Bridget,

I'm going to send you a pm.

Tasha

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

good morning mena.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Bridget - that's my husband too....and my response is just about verbatim....

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hey all! Happy Tuesday. Hope everyone is well. Bridget, that is the same for us - yet my hubby is doing pretty well with all his overtime. He hates his job, but I tell him that we should be grateful for everything he/we have. It is rough, but may God get us through these times.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
We got the call today!!!!!!! He can pick up his visa tomorrow! :dance: :dance:

Mabrook!!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

:D What all does your baby say ?

My Princessa says 'open the door, I want some grass' and...'could ya scoop today lady? My box is reekin'

haaaaaahaha i think our cats went to the same "how to train your human" classes. Only mine graduated to the "candidly flipping off your pet human" class lmaooooo

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.