Alex___

I-864 question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello people.

The official instractions to I-864 AOS state that youhave to provide a "Certified copy of completed most recent federal tax return ". Now, this question must have been asked many times before, but still: What does "Certified copy" mean? Is tax transcript qualify for a certified copy, or it still needs to be notarized?

But as I understand, only signed documents can be notirized. And then, don`t they need three most recent tax returnes?

From the instructions

In order to complete this form you must submit the following

evidence of income:

A copy of your complete Federal income tax return,

As for 3 years tax returns.....There has been a change to this requirement where only one year is now required. NVC have been a little slow on the uptake with this new policy but it does seem that many now have only been required to submit one year. Check with an operator at NVC for confirmation re your case.

Lorelle

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

You can ignore that comment. You can use transcripts or copies of the 1040's. Make sure you include copies of W-2's if you filed jointly in the last three years. It has always been three years, if you download the full form, the instructions and checklist calls for three years tax info. Until it changes on the checklist, I would include three years as you never know what uninformed worker will check the packet.

Marilyn and Peter.

Edited by hotairguy

K-1 Timeline in Profile (our story)

Church wedding Sept 18

NOA1's for AOS/EAD received Sept 20 MSC #

Biometrics completed Nov 5 2004

EAD Approval Dec 29 2004

AOS appointment letter received Feb 3 2005

AOS interview scheduled for March 9 2005

AOS interview mostly fine, just need I-693 supplement filled out by civil surgeon

Spend another $40 for I-693 form, sent to local USCIS office registered mail, arrived March 11 2005

AOS finally approved March 25th 2005

Green card arrives about 10 days later

!!Green card has incorrect middle name!! Thanks USCIS

Travel back to Denver, turn in card and I-90 to correct their mistake.

Application accepted, asked for I-551 stamp, they told me "We don't do stamps anymore"

NOA1 for I-90 received from NSC April 18 2005, fee waived

NSC appears to have stoped processing I-90's

Marilyn needs to travel back to the RP, call Senators office for help with green card or I-551 stamp

Travel back to Denver July 1, 2005 and received I-551 stamp in the passport.

You can ignore that comment. You can use transcripts or copies of the 1040's. Make sure you include copies of W-2's if you filed jointly in the last three years. It has always been three years, if you download the full form, the instructions and checklist calls for three years tax info. Until it changes on the checklist, I would include three years as you never know what uninformed worker will check the packet.

Marilyn and Peter.

True but there is now special instructions for the I-864

Special Instructions:

All sponsors must submit the following documentation with their I-864:

Proof of current employment or self employment

A photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of a photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of your complete Federal income tax return for your most recent tax year, or an explanation if it is not submitted. Your W-2s and/or 1099 forms may also be required, see the I-864 instructions for details.

It does appear also that the checklist/guidelines for the I-864 has also now been updated on the DOS site (NVC).

Federal Income Tax Return: Include a photocopy or Internal Revenue Service (IRS) transcript* even if you filed electronically, with all supporting schedules and/or W-2s for the most recent federal income tax return.

Thats good news. Has been a pain with NVC being so slow on the uptake and caused some confusion.

There is a new I-864 due to be released and I imagine the new form/instructions will reflect same.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Marilyn and Peter.

Special Instructions:

A photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of a photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of your complete Federal income tax return for your most recent tax year, or an explanation if it is not submitted. Your W-2s and/or 1099 forms may also be required, see the I-864 instructions for details.

It does appear also that the checklist/guidelines for the I-864 has also now been updated on the DOS site (NVC).

Federal Income Tax Return: Include a photocopy or Internal Revenue Service (IRS) transcript* even if you filed electronically, with all supporting schedules and/or W-2s for the most recent federal income tax return.

Thats good news. Has been a pain with NVC being so slow on the uptake and caused some confusion.

There is a new I-864 due to be released and I imagine the new form/instructions will reflect same.

Is there a need for a letter from my current employer? or is that optional?

Marilyn and Peter.

Special Instructions:

Is there a need for a letter from my current employer? or is that optional?

Either that or a recent pay stubb

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So the generated instructions are now saying that you only have to submit the last year? That's great! :dance: When I get mine, I'll scan a pdf for VJ and attach it to the aussie's shortcuts thread if no one else has already done so by that time :) One of the copiers at work does that automatically :thumbs:

Shredding party! :jest::dancing: ttyl,

mich

Let me show you how to get your tax returns the easy way

aussiewench's thread for kicking butt in the NVC ('cause i'm too lazy to keep looking it up - haha)

Our DS-3032 email to the NVC

02 Jan 2006 - Married

...----===::: CR-1 :::===---...

22 May 2006 - Case # Assigned @ NVC

14 Jul 2006 - DS-230 Package Received by USC

We stopped pursuit of CR-1 to pursue K3/AOS. For us, both required the same document, we could only have one valid copy, and the K3 was moving faster.

See profile for the details up to and in between the events listed here.

...---===::: K3 :::===---...

17 May 2006 - Date NVC says petition shipped to embassy

18 May 2006 - Case # Assigned @ NVC

01 Jul 2006 - Packet "3" received from embassy

18 Jul 2006 - Medical

21 Sept 2006 - K3 Interview Date (APPROVED)

27 Sept 2006 - Received Visa

06 Oct 2006 - Arrives in the USA! Finally home together. :)

(Truncated timeline - sig too long. See profile for all details.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.