Saddle Bronc

UK Indian Restaurant turns away blind man's service dogs

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Does not animals carry diseases and viruses that can transer and be deadly to humans..Ie aids sars etc.Some scientific backing to those outdatd beliefs.

In UK the browns are the terrorists and or workers..seem to be v much down upon. case in point

A guide dog is not classified as a pet in the UK - it's a working dog and it's illegal to not admit one to any premises.

And no, "browns" are not "down upon" in the UK. Overall we're a pretty free thinking country.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does not animals carry diseases and viruses that can transer and be deadly to humans..Ie aids sars etc.Some scientific backing to those outdatd beliefs.

In UK the browns are the terrorists and or workers..seem to be v much down upon. case in point

A guide dog is not classified as a pet in the UK - it's a working dog and it's illegal to not admit one to any premises.

And no, "browns" are not "down upon" in the UK. Overall we're a pretty free thinking country.

In response to Cindi...browns are popular at least for their cuisine; last-i-checked, UK's national dish is.....curry!

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

I really don't think this warrants a lawsuit. It is, afterall, the Muslim's restaurant. If he is willing to sacrifice business for his religion, then the business will be taken elsewhere.
Would be true if he weren't in violation of the country's laws.

He added that he is pursuing legal action under the Disability Discrimination Act, which has made it unlawful since 1996 for restaurants to refuse to serve a disabled person - including blind people with guide dogs.

Well then it's a senseless law.

The business is essentially "private property", and the government should never force you to accept anyone on your property without your consent.

But you're right, the law is in place, so he can sue away.

21FUNNY.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Agreed, I hate seeing pets near me if I'm in a restaurant eating.

not uncommon to see dogs in german restaurants. i used to take my dog to a few restaurants because they were welcome. plus my dog behaved better than some of the kids there. ^_^

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

That law is messed up.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Agreed, I hate seeing pets near me if I'm in a restaurant eating.

not uncommon to see dogs in german restaurants. i used to take my dog to a few restaurants because they were welcome. plus my dog behaved better than some of the kids there. ^_^

Or don't visit LA...every other table there is a lap dog! :P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

ok brown-muslims..hard to build a mosque outside of the barrio "neghborhood"

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Actually no, it isn't. There are Mosques all over the place in the UK. In fact, where I used to live, one of the largest Mosques in the UK was built - and it was way out side of the "barrio".

I really don't think this warrants a lawsuit. It is, afterall, the Muslim's restaurant. If he is willing to sacrifice business for his religion, then the business will be taken elsewhere.

He added that he is pursuing legal action under the Disability Discrimination Act, which has made it unlawful since 1996 for restaurants to refuse to serve a disabled person - including blind people with guide dogs.

The business is essentially "private property", and the government should never force you to accept anyone on your property without your consent.

But think about it from the blind person's POV. They can't do much without this dog, who has become their "fifth limb." To be shunned from businesses because you're blind and use a dog rather than a stick, is wrong.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yes and there was a big petition against that mosque started by council members. overall i do believe you. As you are from there/lived there.

To me it seemed that desis were and are treated like Mexicans are here. Workers in this case making curry not chalupas.

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
ZOMG! Such ignorant beliefs. Such intolerance should be severly punished.

and ummmm..... since when are muslims automatically 'brown'? ZOMG ####### YFKM

Not exactly common that the owner of an Indian restaurant would be of non-Subcontinental origin.

Actually its pretty common. "Indian" in the UK is a catchall for Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Indian - at least where restaurants are concerned.

But think about it from the blind person's POV. They can't do much without this dog, who has become their "fifth limb." To be shunned from businesses because you're blind and use a dog rather than a stick, is wrong.

Yes, I consider it morally wrong, but apparently the owner of that restaurant does not. And that's the point.

The only real loser in this case is the restaurant owner. He lost business with a potential customer, and will lose significantly more as this news spreads. If he wishes to limit his customer clientele, he does so at his own detriment.

And I'm fairly certain most restaurants would welcome the business of a blind man with a service animal, even without a law forcing it. Not even out of generosity either. But solely because more customers = more profits. And profits are of utmost concern to businesses.

Edited by Matt85
21FUNNY.gif

Timeline

Actually no, it isn't. There are Mosques all over the place in the UK. In fact, where I used to live, one of the largest Mosques in the UK was built - and it was way out side of the "barrio".

Yes, I consider it morally wrong, but apparently the owner of that restaurant does not. And that's the point.

The only real loser in this case is the restaurant owner. He lost business with a potential customer, and will lose significantly more as this news spreads. If he wishes to limit his customer clientele, he does so at his own detriment.

And I'm fairly certain most restaurants would welcome the business of a blind man with a service animal, even without a law forcing it. Not even out of generosity either. But solely because more customers = more profits. And profits are of utmost concern to businesses.

Yeah - I agree with you there. Its not as though the blind guy is exactly strapped for choice for where to go for Indian food. If the restaurant is selective about its clientele it deserves to lose revenue.

ZOMG! Such ignorant beliefs. Such intolerance should be severly punished.

and ummmm..... since when are muslims automatically 'brown'? ZOMG ####### YFKM

Not exactly common that the owner of an Indian restaurant would be of non-Subcontinental origin.

Actually its pretty common. "Indian" in the UK is a catchall for Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Indian - at least where restaurants are concerned.

Sorry Cherry - I read that wrong. Never mind.

Timeline
I'm sure revenue from blind clientele will not make or break the business.

Disabled people need protection under the law.

Well that is also true. Its not exactly a cause and effect relationship. It would have more of an impact overall if the restaurant had generally bad service.