dyoon7979

HELP!!! K1 or Permanent resident???

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Before deciding on what visa to pursue, I recommend highly that you do more research on the CR1 visa. The reason for that is that in most cases, they can take just as long to be processed (the CR1 may take a 1-2 months longer) but I've seen that Canada processes CR1s at a different rate.

plus the amount of time in order to get married.....

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for the info...

K1 Timeline

2008/12/15 I-129F Sent.

2008/12/16 I-129F Received by CSC: AND NOA1 issued same day.

2008/12/18 I-129F Check cashed

2008/12/20 NOA1 Received

2009/04/28 Touched (Detail info did not change. Just the date has changed. NOA2???)

2009/04/29 NOA2 Approved (Received email notification)

Timeline
Before deciding on what visa to pursue, I recommend highly that you do more research on the CR1 visa. The reason for that is that in most cases, they can take just as long to be processed (the CR1 may take a 1-2 months longer) but I've seen that Canada processes CR1s at a different rate.

What is CR-1 Visa??? I was only aware of K1 or K3....

We want the fastest way to be together here in US... Once she arrives in US, dont mind waiting for the green card for work permit. she doesnt have to work right away so we are not in a hurry to get work permit or green card.

I thought K1 was the fastest...

K1 Timeline

2008/12/15 I-129F Sent.

2008/12/16 I-129F Received by CSC: AND NOA1 issued same day.

2008/12/18 I-129F Check cashed

2008/12/20 NOA1 Received

2009/04/28 Touched (Detail info did not change. Just the date has changed. NOA2???)

2009/04/29 NOA2 Approved (Received email notification)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We want the fastest way to be together here in US... Once she arrives in US, dont mind waiting for the green card for work permit. she doesnt have to work right away so we are not in a hurry to get work permit or green card.

CR/IR is immigrant visa that results in a greencard immediately upon arrival (no further adjustment of status)....

K-1 is fastest because you can file it tomorrow (or in your case Monday)

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

CR/IR is immigrant visa that results in a greencard immediately upon arrival (no further adjustment of status)....

K-1 is fastest because you can file it tomorrow (or in your case Monday)

I've ceased being amazed at how people continue to ignore the fact that a K1 can be filed now, while a CR1 can't get started until a couple can arrange to marry and secure a marriage certificate, then they ignore things like for Canada, CR1 must go through Montreal. This case would take several months longer on the CR1 route even if they could arrange to marry next week.

dyoon,

Do invest the time studying the guides. It's far more efficient to study first and ask questions later, particularly now that you have some basic information to work with.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If your ultimate goal is to be in the US - then file for the K1 and wait for them to process. Yes - the K1 still takes a fair amount of time, but it will be the fastest way to bring her to the US.

-David

Dear members,

I need some HELP!!!

I am male (US Citizen) and my fiancee female (Cananda Citizen) is trying to figure out what is the best way for us to be together. I currently reside in Chicago IL USA and she is in Vancouver BC. We have been together for about a year now.

About two month ago she came to united states to be together on my birthday and holiday. US custom gave her such a hard time at Vancouver airport. she was held at the custom for over 4 hours and she ended up missing the flight. Her plan was to visit US for 2 months and they wouldn't allow her to stay that long. They accused her from not returning to Canada.

They told her that she must return to Canada within a month. So she stayed for a month and she has returned back home to Vancouver. We both figure it will look good on her record since she has returned to Canada on time.

after staying in Vancouver for about a month, she has recently tried to come back to United States for Christmas and new year. and once again she was pulled to custom and was held of over 5 hours this time. And they would not let her go. They accused her saying " you will not come back. you don't own a house, or you don't work" so you are not going to come back to Canada. They told her that only way for her to visit United States is that she will need to either have to own a house in Vacouver, have a job, or get a Visa. but she is not banned since she did not violate any law.

is this possible for US custom to do that to her??

is there anyway for her to come visit me in the US??

and second question that I have is this...

1. is it faster to get married in Canada and file for permanent resident? attorney told me that process doesnt take that long if we file for permanent resident outside of US. he said it is cheaper and faster. is this true?

2. or is it faster to file for K-1 visa?

Our goal is to reside in US.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

Timeline
Dear members,

I need some HELP!!!

I am male (US Citizen) and my fiancee female (Cananda Citizen) is trying to figure out what is the best way for us to be together. I currently reside in Chicago IL USA and she is in Vancouver BC. We have been together for about a year now.

About two month ago she came to united states to be together on my birthday and holiday. US custom gave her such a hard time at Vancouver airport. she was held at the custom for over 4 hours and she ended up missing the flight. Her plan was to visit US for 2 months and they wouldn't allow her to stay that long. They accused her from not returning to Canada.

They told her that she must return to Canada within a month. So she stayed for a month and she has returned back home to Vancouver. We both figure it will look good on her record since she has returned to Canada on time.

after staying in Vancouver for about a month, she has recently tried to come back to United States for Christmas and new year. and once again she was pulled to custom and was held of over 5 hours this time. And they would not let her go. They accused her saying " you will not come back. you don't own a house, or you don't work" so you are not going to come back to Canada. They told her that only way for her to visit United States is that she will need to either have to own a house in Vacouver, have a job, or get a Visa. but she is not banned since she did not violate any law.

is this possible for US custom to do that to her??

is there anyway for her to come visit me in the US??

and second question that I have is this...

1. is it faster to get married in Canada and file for permanent resident? attorney told me that process doesnt take that long if we file for permanent resident outside of US. he said it is cheaper and faster. is this true?

2. or is it faster to file for K-1 visa?

Our goal is to reside in US.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

The same thing happened to me visiting my Fiance in the USA with Vancouver's customs.. they held me until I'd miss my flight then told me to come back with evidence of my job. Then they'd let me through, which they did.

The only way she'd be able to come visit you like I mentioned with my story Evidence of a job etc.

I did the K1 processes. Handed in 129F in march and visa in hand in December, And had gone through Vancouver's Consulate.

Good luck to you both and hopefully this information is helpful to you both.

Welcome to VJ dyoon. You need to first read the guides above, to decide what type of visa you want. K-1's and K-3's, if she lives in Vancouver, will be interviewed there. CR-1's are interviewed in Montreal. If working as soon as she arrives isn't an issue, then file for a K-1 and she will have her interview in Vancouver, which is much faster than Montreal schedules interviews.

As well, check out the Canada forum. If there isn't a specific recent thread on visiting the US from Canada, start one there. We will give you tons of information about what you need as evidence of ties to Canada for the purpose of visiting. While she may not have anything in her passport right now, she's still not going to get through Customs without proof of ties to Canada. That's where we can help.

Of course the BO can stop and question her and not allow her access to the US. Particularly if it looks like she's going to visit, and may not come back. Probably the best evidence is having a job, but if she doesn't, then there is other things she can bring.

Here's the link to the Canada forum here on VJ.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

Best of luck on whatever route you choose!

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.