trailmix

Have you gained weight since moving to the U.S.?

Weight Gain since moving to the U.S.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Have you gained weight since moving from Canada to the U.S.?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you answered yes, AND you have lived in the U.S. LESS than a year - how much have you gained and what do you attribute it to - please select an answer from each category

• 1-5 lbs
    • 6-10 lbs
    • 11-15 lbs
    • 15-20 lbs
    • 21-25 lbs
    • more than 25 lbs
    • n/a
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in physical activity
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet and physical activity
    • Category 2: I haven't really changed my diet or activity - but still gained weight!
  3. 3. If you answered yes, AND you have lived in the U.S. MORE than a year - how much have you gained?

• 1-5 lbs
    • 6-10 lbs
    • 11-15 lbs
    • 15-20 lbs
    • 21-25 lbs
    • more than 25 lbs
    • n/a
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in physical activity
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet and physical activity
    • Category 2: I haven't really changed my diet or activity - but still gained weight!

55 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So far I've been losing weight, 15 lbs since I arrived in June, which is the lightest I've been in 6 years. :) I've dropped my old bad habits of emotional eating, not exercising and my usual sulking of being unhappy. Plus, in the wintertime back in Canada, I usually gain weight in winter because of not being able to run or swim as much. Not so much here, which I absolutely love. I've also helped the hubby drop 30 lbs. His parents noticed it immediately and thanked me for the positive impact I've had on him. I force him to go running with me, and we've also gotten back into ballroom dancing 3 times a week. Then there's the dog, which we take to the park or go for long walks with.

Besides the change in activity, moving here's changed how I eat. We only eat out once a week, and when we do, I usually bring a bento box with me to fill up if the restaurant we go to runs out of take home boxes. I can only eat about 1/3 of the massive meals that restaurants give. I also still cook the same foods I did back home too.

My weight'll probably sink to a healthier range. I wasn't living very healthy in Canada. I rarely ever exercised, I was depressed, lazy, couldn't portion my food properly. Two of the biggest motivators for me has been the hubby being with me, and the promise of a new clothing wardrobe once I drop 3-4 more sizes. Yesiree... nothing motivates me quite like shopping. Has anyone noticed a difference in quality and brands from TJmaxx versus Winners? I'm convinced Winners gets the leftovers that TJmaxx customers don't want.

Jun 25/08: POE! Arrived home, finally!

July 11/08: Legally married

AOS process:

Sept 29/08: Application for I-485 & I-765 received

Oct 2/08: NOA1 for I-485 & I-765

Oct 25/08: Biometrics

Dec 22/08: Receieved EAD

Dec 24/08: Applied for SSN.

Jan 13/09: Received SSN.

Apr 21/09: AOS interview.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am snacking while reading this thread.

And snif snif, those wasabi peas will kill ya if you pop too many at once.

:blush:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Timeline
So far I've been losing weight, 15 lbs since I arrived in June, which is the lightest I've been in 6 years. :) I've dropped my old bad habits of emotional eating, not exercising and my usual sulking of being unhappy. Plus, in the wintertime back in Canada, I usually gain weight in winter because of not being able to run or swim as much. Not so much here, which I absolutely love. I've also helped the hubby drop 30 lbs. His parents noticed it immediately and thanked me for the positive impact I've had on him. I force him to go running with me, and we've also gotten back into ballroom dancing 3 times a week. Then there's the dog, which we take to the park or go for long walks with.

Besides the change in activity, moving here's changed how I eat. We only eat out once a week, and when we do, I usually bring a bento box with me to fill up if the restaurant we go to runs out of take home boxes. I can only eat about 1/3 of the massive meals that restaurants give. I also still cook the same foods I did back home too.

My weight'll probably sink to a healthier range. I wasn't living very healthy in Canada. I rarely ever exercised, I was depressed, lazy, couldn't portion my food properly. Two of the biggest motivators for me has been the hubby being with me, and the promise of a new clothing wardrobe once I drop 3-4 more sizes. Yesiree... nothing motivates me quite like shopping. Has anyone noticed a difference in quality and brands from TJmaxx versus Winners? I'm convinced Winners gets the leftovers that TJmaxx customers don't want.

Wow. Good for you. That's awesome! :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Daly cheers to you for the super healthy lifestyle. :thumbs:

I keep telling myself I'll start exercising again. I just keep saying it'll happen tomorrow. What's the saying - tomorrow never comes? :blush:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had been doing really good and was losing weight until hubby started really craving the foods that I don't do so well with. He loves all kinds of carbs, now I do too, but they don't usually agree with me and I gain wait like crazy on them. They don't agree with me and for some reason I can't resist them! Oh and everything is made with wheat. It's really hard to have a wheat free diet when the other person doesn't need to be wheat free. ~sigh~ I'm not blaming this on hubby, that's for sure. I'm blaming it on my lack of self control. I just can't control myself around those things I know I shouldn't eat.

SO....I've been on a whole bunch of diets and I've done well and then backslid. I've also lost about 80 pounds and put ten of that back on which is frustrating. I'm trying to really focus on only eating when I'm hungry and only eating UNTIL I'm full. That's tough as I don't really feel hungry or full at all right now. Anyhow, that helps with portion sizes for sure! I know that will help and that's the first step. Pretty soon I'll stop craving all the junk that I want that's terrible for me. It seems to work that way for me, I start to crave the healthy things!

Hey Cat-Hubby's grandpa says that since tomorrow never comes if there's something you don't want to do, say you'll do it tomorrow and you'll never have to do it!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm bad with self control also. Ive said many times Im cutting down on carbs, but we LOOOOOOVE pizza and tater tots. And chips. Oooooh sandwhiches too...... I cant give those up! Also, this week, Im on a purge. BB and I usually have a beer or 2 with and after dinner so Im cutting those out. Ill have a glass of wine with dinner, but only one. Ive also given up a certain "spice" that I had given up but recently taken up again occasionaly. Time to cut that out again. Definitely increases the munchies so if I cut that out, I can cut the snacking out. I love snacking.

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

Filed: Other Timeline

I gained over 25 pounds since I moved here, despite what I thought was an attempt at healthy eating and moderate exercise. Found out a couple of years ago that I have Graves' Disease, which is an auto-immune that knocks the thyroid into hyperdrive. Trying to lose weight while the thyroid is out of whack, your resting heart rate is about 95 all the time, you're constantly sweating for no reason, and the meds also cause weight gain...not so much fun. Its in remission now though, but I need to go for follow-up blood work sometime soon. If I can get a doctor appointment :P

3 weeks ago I had on a pair of jeans that had gotten so tight my legs were going numb as I sat at my desk. I even got a bruise on my thigh from them. :o So I started Atkins. I'm very pleased with my results so far, and the pair of pants I have on now are almost falling down :P I haven't tried the jeans yet though... In all, I need to lose about 40 pounds or so to get to my once comfortable weight somewhere around 125 (when I met my hubby I was waaaaaaaay too skinny, about 105 - 110 maybe, which we later discovered was the beginning of my Graves's Disease, and had caused massive and dangerous weight LOSS. I put it all, plus a lot more, back on). I have also not had any problems with my IBS since about day 2 on Atkins, which to me is a blessing, because I've been in pain and constipated with it for over 4 years! :o I'm tellin' ya, that alone will keep me eating the Atkins way, the weight loss is just a bonus! Last I checked I was down about 7 pounds after just 2 weeks, and have lost more since. On to the next phase for me, and maybe by Christmas time I can have a wee bite of chocolate :D Which is probably the only thing that I've really been missing. That, and after a rotten day at work, a nice glass of wine.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Atkins looks complicated.. I can't figure it out.. :(

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I gained a few pounds initially, but it kicked into overdrive when I was put on progesterone for a couple of months. Then it went up around 20 pounds and I said enough to the doctor and stopped taking it and started really working on losing weight. 27 pounds so far and counting!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Atkins looks complicated.. I can't figure it out.. :(

Just eat a lot of meat, little carbs (including vegetables...think like a small salad a day) - and you will have started on Atkin's.

That's all I can tell you, I think I made it 7 days before my carb cravings took over and wonnnnnnnn (oh but it really did work).

Hubby gained weight when he first moved here. He has always liked his junk food and in Vancouver, used to be able to snack while not gaining weight (he did also eat a lot of healthy food). Activity level was the issue. In Vancouver, he used public transportation and walked 3-4 miles a day at least. Here, our small town has horrendous public transport so he ends up driving everywhere. When he was working as a carpenter, he dropped the weight due to the physical activity. But now that he is unemployed, the weight is creeping back on.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Other Timeline

I've found Atkins is actually pretty easy. And you do get to eat lots and lots of veggies, just not starchy or carb loaded ones. I've had as many as 3 salads a day. Its all about balance really. And no bread or pasta. After about 3 days, my carb cravings were pretty much gone. I can even say no to ice cream when James is waving it under my nose :P

So far I've just been using the website for info and help, I ordered the book thru a used seller on Amazon, and it hasn't got to me yet :( Here's their website http://community.atkins.com/ Forums and everything.

Its a life long lifestyle change, not just a diet. As I said before, just the benefits of my IBS being gone alone is reason enough for me to keep on it. I feel great!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My mom always says, you need the size of your palm in meat and your plate should have mostly veggies on it. She doesn't eat too many starches because she's a diabetic. Plus she goes on juice fasts every 6 months.

My husband tried to tell me he was going to go on a juice fast last week and started putting BOTTLED juices in the cart at the supermarket. :lol:

I stood there laughing and told him: "Uhhh you need a juicer and fresh fruits and vegetables!!"

Now I know what else to get him for Christmas.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I don't offcially live here yet but I've done a three month visit. I lost five pounds. I'm sure it's because I've been doing a lot of cooking and using the apartment complex gym regularly. We found a grocery store that has some really amazing and cheap produce. It has almost everything you can imagine including snake beans and Chinese brocoli. It inspires me to cook from scratch.

I really want to try weaning off my anti-depressant meds about a year after I get here for good so I've been working hard to change my lifestyle to support that. Hopefully, the healthy diet and excercise will be well entrenched habits by the end of next year. Then I'll talk to a pshychaitrist about getting off the meds.

~ Catherine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.