trailmix

Have you gained weight since moving to the U.S.?

Weight Gain since moving to the U.S.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Have you gained weight since moving from Canada to the U.S.?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you answered yes, AND you have lived in the U.S. LESS than a year - how much have you gained and what do you attribute it to - please select an answer from each category

• 1-5 lbs
    • 6-10 lbs
    • 11-15 lbs
    • 15-20 lbs
    • 21-25 lbs
    • more than 25 lbs
    • n/a
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in physical activity
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet and physical activity
    • Category 2: I haven't really changed my diet or activity - but still gained weight!
  3. 3. If you answered yes, AND you have lived in the U.S. MORE than a year - how much have you gained?

• 1-5 lbs
    • 6-10 lbs
    • 11-15 lbs
    • 15-20 lbs
    • 21-25 lbs
    • more than 25 lbs
    • n/a
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in physical activity
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet and physical activity
    • Category 2: I haven't really changed my diet or activity - but still gained weight!

55 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A pretty basic poll, but they only allow 3 questions - maybe because there are so many possible answers provided.

Items 2 and 3 are multiple choice, so you can mark one from the weight gain category and one from category two.

Please feel free to snack while participating in the poll.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

lol.. i love it.. i do think that newlyweds generally gain weight too.. something about settling in to a new relationship.. kinda like the freshman 15 or something :whistle:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I put on over 25 pounds and I have been here almost 4 years.... but I gained all the weight within the first 8 or 9 months of moving here .. I have gone down some since then but I still want to lose more :P

I think I gained the weight because of a change in diet.. I ate way more fast food then I ever did back in Canada .. and also I was stuck at home so my physical activity slowed down too...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Um I have gained weight. I came down a size 8 and a nice 135 pounds. But weight is something I have always struggled with so I am not blaming the USA.

However I don't get as much excersise I used to because I drive everywhere now. Also marriage just kind of makes you feel a little too comfortable, he'll love me no matter what size I am, right!? Well true, but I don't love myself as much when I can no longer fit my jeans. :P

I started to feel like ####### and even though I could work out at home I just don't have the discipline to do it alone. So I go out and work out behind the skinniest girl at the gym, swearing in my mind and how toned she is "that b1tch" and all of a sudden I am inspired and motivated to be thin and healthy once again.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I started to feel like ####### and even though I could work out at home I just don't have the discipline to do it alone. So I go out and work out behind the skinniest girl at the gym, swearing in my mind and how toned she is "that b1tch" and all of a sudden I am inspired and motivated to be thin and healthy once again.

I am now going to join a gym stat!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

lmfao@ please feel free to snack during poll

ROFLMAO

9137.gif

AOS Timeline

11/18/08 - I-130 Package sent

11/20/08 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12/01/08 - Money Order Cashed

12/05/08 - Received all 3 NOA's dated November 28th

12/10/08 - Touched

12/11/08 - Received Biometrics appointment dated 12/05/08

12/19/08 - Biometrics Appointment (Completed!)

12/19/08 - Touched

12/22/08 - Touched

01/22/09 - EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/09 - 2nd Email for EAD Card prodcution

02/02/09 - EAD Arrives in the mail (Yay!)

Timeline

Ha! I have gained 9 lbs since I started working(8 months ago) - the first 4 months at home were just fine. We were doing really well, went for walks like 5-6 nights a week.

However...once work kicked in, I obviously have less 'me-time'. I don't get home til 6-ish, then we make dinner and eat later...just no time for walks anymore and some days I'm exhausted :(

Not the USA's fault - darn job.

I've always struggled with weight since having my daughter 17 yrs ago. Weight Watchers has been a good plan for me since I can decide to eat what I like instead of weird little frozen meals that are different then the rest of the family or huge amounts of meats and cheese a la Atkins. but everyone's body is different, it's whatever works for you.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I cant help it.........

Tijuana flats, and Chipotle and ..................all so close =(

9137.gif

AOS Timeline

12/10/08 - Touched

12/19/08 - Touched

12/22/08 - Touched

Timeline

Yes I was going to say Weight Watchers is great! I bought a membership last year just to get the books and stuff and then I quit and kept myself on the plan for quite a long time. But then Superbowl sunday came and there in front of me was a giant platter of hot wings and I just stopped, just like that. But I have been opening my books once again and counting points. It works if you make it work.

Donne moi une poptart!

Fascinating poll Trailmix.

I have been reading a lot about this "phenomena" as of late...maybe the last 6 months or so.

The research I have been doing keeps coming back to the (usually) same things:

- change in food selection/choices

- the corn syrup thingy and other hidden things in processed foods

- eating more than usual (it is the land of supersize me, regular restaurants' portions are big too)

- the amount of junk food readily available

- feeling busy/harried and indulging in it

- change in lifestyle and no new routine set up

- (there's more I'm sure...)

Once you go in the direction of eating more foods that you know are not great for you, then your body gets addicted to that level of eating...

there's a frequency to everything. Once you lower yours, it is work to come back to centre.

Know what I mean jelly bean(s)?

For whatever reason, I am always about the same weight.

Even without my usual high level of physical activity.

It's strange.

My partner on the other hand has gained some weight since my arrival.

I love carbs! and he does not do well with such foods.

Poor guy....

His level of physical activity has dropped to nil, also...hence....

We both need to make some adjustments if we are to be healthy and strong.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

It;s not letting me vote so I'd say I have probably realistically put on about 25 pounds in 2 years. That seems like a hell of a lot and..well..it is! However, I used to be incredibly active and a student. Therefore, I went from eating not a lot because I didn't have a lot of money, and I walked to school and the grocery store, etc. etc. Previously to being in university, I was an all-season athlete who played soccer, ringette, volleyball and badminton competitively. I've always had a sweet tooth but with working out some times, 4 hours a day, in highschool, it never showed.

So I've been putting on weight slowly since I was 18...but nothing ever like this. I contribute it to being held up in a house for so long and not able to do what I usually did...driving my car everywhere...eating more fast food than usual, hfcs, and not doing cardio. Then I started working like an ####### and have little to no time to do my own thing.

My brother in law gets married next Aug. and I would like to drop at least 15 pounds. I don't want to hear any more excuses from myself and I don't want to let myself go before I even have kids, either. That will be a disaster!

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Timeline

:lol:

I started gaining weight almost immediately. I even had to buy a new wedding dress because the original one didn't fit anymore! :o:crying:

Once I figured out what was going on (all the sugars in everything) I did my best to control what came home from the grocery store. I also bring a lot of grocery items back from Canada with me. I am definitely far less physically active here in the US. At home I used to walk everywhere. Here there is nowhere to walk TO. I can walk around our subdivision, but that gets old pretty quickly. I have given myself a stern talking to and I am ready to do something about it. Just as soon as I finish this Jos Louis. :hehe:

iagree.gif

Timeline

I even walk our 2 kids to school everyday, which is only like a 5-8 min walk from our house.

Still gaining weight. Like you all say, it must be the nasty ingredients they put in the processed food.

9137.gif

AOS Timeline

12/10/08 - Touched

12/19/08 - Touched

12/22/08 - Touched

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I started gaining weight almost immediately. I even had to buy a new wedding dress because the original one didn't fit anymore! :o:crying:

Once I figured out what was going on (all the sugars in everything) I did my best to control what came home from the grocery store. I also bring a lot of grocery items back from Canada with me. I am definitely far less physically active here in the US. At home I used to walk everywhere. Here there is nowhere to walk TO. I can walk around our subdivision, but that gets old pretty quickly. I have given myself a stern talking to and I am ready to do something about it. Just as soon as I finish this Jos Louis. :hehe:

I can attribute some of the weight gain to eating more processed foods definately - but like I said somewhere else, it was new and interesting and I had to try it!

Activity level isn't really more or less - so that's not an issue. Anyway, just going to eat more 'normal' foods now.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

While I don't officially live here, I can definitely relate. When I arrived I was hovering around 118, however, I was born without a thyroid and have always had a steady metabolism. Within about a month or so I went up to around 133 and have been hovering around that now. I blamed it on my thyroid levels and got them checked when I was in TO, but nope. Not my levels. So I had to look for more reasons (in other words, something else to blame it on :P ) so this is what I came up with:

In TO I was working as a bartender at one job, serving at another, and doing catering events whenever I could. I was on the go all evening till I was done and into the night. I took ttc everywhere. After work it was usually off to the karaoke show for the night. My meals were basically a quick bite to eat when I woke up (early afternoon usually) A medium size meal during work and then however many bevvies I had that night. Sometimes we'd get wings to split (who can resist half price wings??) Not much food, lots of activity (albeit unhealthy, yet still active)

Compare that to being here in Columbus, I wake up early, 3 meals a day plus snacks. BB drives everywhere. If there was SOMEWHAT good transportation id take it but theres not. I try to do some wii fit every day. I've been watching Addison (our friends daughter) more often so that keeps me active but not as much as before.

Im guessing my thyroid's control of my weight and metabolism took a back seat :( That sucks for me. I have NEVER been over 120 lbs so Im definitely feeling it. And it was so instant for me. I mean, i gained about 15 lbs in about a month :S (This is taking in the fluctuations of the month/day etc)

After all that, Im gonna turn on the wii fit free step now lol

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.