Amby

do you sponsor a family or child for xmas?

41 posts in this topic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I adopted an old person from a local nursing home this year instead of a child. I don't have a lot of extra money (who does!) but I have worked in nursing homes before and they are horrible horrible places to be, especially during the holidays if you have no family :( All the tags are always taken off the angel tree, but sometimes some of the old folks don't get all adopted, so I decided on that this year.

I will also be donating to Operation Shoebox to send packages overseas to US troops. I tried to find something similar for Canadian troops, but Defence Canada wouldn't send the goods, pallets and pallets of stuff for the troops sitting in a hangar ready to go, and they say they can't send it, the eejits :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I donated cans of salmon for thanksgiving people

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I adopted an old person from a local nursing home this year instead of a child. I don't have a lot of extra money (who does!) but I have worked in nursing homes before and they are horrible horrible places to be, especially during the holidays if you have no family :( All the tags are always taken off the angel tree, but sometimes some of the old folks don't get all adopted, so I decided on that this year.

Good idea, Reba. Thanks. :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I really like the idea of adopting an older person - I never thought about that. I'll have a look around here and see if we have something like that in my area. Otherwise, well try and pick a kid.

I don't always adopt a kid for the holidays, it just depends - I donate a lot of clothes and toys during the year so I don't worry too much about it.

We do however,always donate food to the food banks and the Salvation Army bell ringers always get change through out the season. Last nigh, the guy outside Walmart was playing a drum from some country (I forgot what he said), it looked like a big bowl and it sounded really pretty. They make it feel so Christmasssy!

AOS:

11/07/2008: Filled AOS @ Chicago Lock box

11/11/2008: Received @ Lockbox

11/18/2008: NOA for I-130, I-485, I-765

12/08/2008: Biomtrics appointment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

we dont do that for holidays cuz we do it all year long for many families in our area .......as in helping provide food, rides to doctors appointments turn on the heat so many things we are part of a group called gleeners.....

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
just curious if anyone else sponsors a family or a child for xmas?

Yes. This year.........

My job sponsors a family. I am the one in charge of making sure we collect for everyone and all that.

A girl at my job is sponsoring her own family. I am helping her with that.

I am a Chemo Angel which means I have a little girl I am going to sponsor for Christmas too.

And, of course our extended family left back in Jamaica.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
The people who ring the bells are volunteers. Though people who work at Salvation Army stores and shelters often do get paid. The Salvation Army is a pretty good charity, IMO.

The bell ringers around here get paid, I just saw this job posting:

JOB DESCRIPTION:

Charitable organization needs holiday Bell Ringers.

HOURS / DAYS / SCHEDULE:

Will work from now until 12-24-2008. Monday - Saturday. 11AM - 8PM. Up to 40 hours per week.

JOB REQUIREMENTS:

-Good people skills: polite and friendly personality

-Stand for up to eight hours

-Warm clothes to work in outdoors conditions

-Transportation to the job site (22 different sites available)

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

none preferred

SALARY / WAGE / BENEFITS:

$8.07 per hour

CLOSING DATE / DEADLINE:

Closes on or before 12/02/2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Every year we always pick a child or two from the Angel tree and buy them necessities as well as a toy. We also buy toys and donate to toys for tots and donate food/money to our local homeless shelter...we hope to do all of that again this year.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yeah,

Mine :D

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview