classicrock68

Affidavit of Support Form for K1 visa. Input please

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Dear VJ Folks:

I am making a trip to India next week to meet my fiancee. Trying to make the most out of my trip. Taking the entire K1 packet with me that I submitted and other documents with me that she can use come time for the interview.

Although, it may be a little too early (I do not have my NOA2 yet), I am planning to take the Affidavit of Support documents. Understand I need to have form I-134 notarized. What about my taxes/W2/bank statements/ etc. Do those need to be noratized ? Also, if I have my employment letter with salary/etc info, do I need the bank/401K/brokerage account statements? My income level should not be an issue as I am over the min poverty level but wondering if I need to have other financial supporting documents.

What about the divorce certificate. Read somewhere that I need 'original and notarized copy' of my divorce judgment. I have a copy that I got from my lawyer that I notarized. Does my fiancee need my 'original' divorce decree that I should leave with her. Do I need to get an original copy from the court house ?

Anything else I need to plan for and take with me? Anyone input/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Timeline for K1 visa

9/11/2008 – mailed I-129F

9/12/2008 – Received at VSC/NOA 1 sent (mail stamp-9/16)

9/15/2008 – check cashed

9/19/2008 –Received NOA1

12/28/2008 – Received NOA2 Approval email from CRIS

01/06/2009 – Left NVC for Mumbai Consulate

01/07/2009 – Received NVC confirmation letter in the mail

01/08/2009 – Mumbai Consulate received file electronically and sent packet 3 (info from DOS)

01/10/2009 – Mumbai Consulate received file (hard copy) from NVC (DHL tracking)

01/19/2009 – Overnighted packet 3 (still did not receive receive pkt 3 from Mumbai)

01/20/2009 – Packet 3 arrives at Mumbai Consulate

01/23/2009 – called DOS and was informed that packet 4 has been sent and interview date set.

01/24/2009 – Received hard copy of packet 3 (postmark Jan 20). Too late. Already sent packet 3 on Jan 19.

02/02/09 – Received Packet 4

02/04/09 – Submitted documents at the VFS Kolkata Office

02/06/09 - Medicals completed

03/02/2009 – BIG DAY, i.e., Interview Date

03/03/2009 - Visa received in mail

04/09/2009 - POE

AOS

04/17/2009 - CIVIL

6/16/2009 - Mailed AOS package

6/19/2009 - NOA1

7/08/2009 - AOS transferred to CSC

7/17/2009 - Biometrics appointment, EAD case Touched

8/05/2009 - EAD card production ordered, AP approved !!!!

ROC

08/27/2011 - Mailed ROC packageCIVIL

08/29/2011 - NOA1

09/19/2011 - Early Bio (scheduled date 10/03/2011)

Dear VJ Folks:

I am making a trip to India next week to meet my fiancee. Trying to make the most out of my trip. Taking the entire K1 packet with me that I submitted and other documents with me that she can use come time for the interview.

I surmise that you have already "met" before. You need to have already met in person, to validate the petition.

Although, it may be a little too early (I do not have my NOA2 yet), I am planning to take the Affidavit of Support documents. Understand I need to have form I-134 notarized. What about my taxes/W2/bank statements/ etc. Do those need to be noratized ? Also, if I have my employment letter with salary/etc info, do I need the bank/401K/brokerage account statements? My income level should not be an issue as I am over the min poverty level but wondering if I need to have other financial supporting documents.

If your income exceeds the poverty line of income, no further evidence is required. The I-134 needs to be notarized.

What about the divorce certificate. Read somewhere that I need 'original and notarized copy' of my divorce judgment. I have a copy that I got from my lawyer that I notarized. Does my fiancee need my 'original' divorce decree that I should leave with her. Do I need to get an original copy from the court house ?

Anything else I need to plan for and take with me? Anyone input/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

A copy of the divorce decree will suffice. You may want to check with the target Embassy/Consulate to ensure they do not require notary on this document. Most do not.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Dear VJ Folks:

I surmise that you have already "met" before. You need to have already met in person, to validate the petition.

If your income exceeds the poverty line of income, no further evidence is required. The I-134 needs to be notarized.

If your income is sufficient, you can skip all questions regarding assets on the I-134 but you will need the tax returns or transcripts and some recent pay stubs.

Thanks

A copy of the divorce decree will suffice. You may want to check with the target Embassy/Consulate to ensure they do not require notary on this document. Most do not.

A "Certified Copy" of a complete or abbreviated divorce decree will suffice. Notarization not helpful. It needs a seal from the issuing authority. A copy secured from a lawyer may or may not have the seal. The seal is the key. Divorce decrees need no notarization. Notaries witness signatures. Unless you're planning to drag the judge in front of a notary.....

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Dear VJ Folks:

Although, it may be a little too early (I do not have my NOA2 yet), I am planning to take the Affidavit of Support documents. Understand I need to have form I-134 notarized. What about my taxes/W2/bank statements/ etc. Do those need to be noratized ?Also, if I have my employment letter with salary/etc info, do I need the bank/401K/brokerage account statements? My income level should not be an issue as I am over the min poverty level but wondering if I need to have other financial supporting documents.

Thanks

1. No you do not need to have your tax returns/W2s/bank statements notarized.

2. Your employment letter with salary and other info (type of employment, etc.) will suffice, bank statements are also a good addition to the I-134, you do not need the 401k/brokerage account statements. As you state your income is above poverty level so you do not need to worry about showing assets.

3. For divorce certificate, check with your embassy here: http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/packet4k3info.html

TERMINATION OF PREVIOUS MARRIAGE: All applicants who have divorced or whose spouses have died must provide an original and a clear photocopy of proof of the legal termination of all previous marriages (death certificate of spouse, divorce decree). Divorce between Hindus and Christians must be documented by a court order. A certificate from the Kazi or the head of the Jammat must document divorce between Muslims. If any of these documents was issued in a local language, a notarized English translation is required in addition to the original.

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

A "Certified Copy" of a complete or abbreviated divorce decree will suffice. Notarization not helpful. It needs a seal from the issuing authority. A copy secured from a lawyer may or may not have the seal. The seal is the key. Divorce decrees need no notarization. Notaries witness signatures. Unless you're planning to drag the judge in front of a notary.....

I supplied a simple "photocopy" of my decree, with no questions asked. Are you certain that "certified copy" is required?

This may be the demarcation point of past work history and so forth.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I supplied a simple "photocopy" of my decree, with no questions asked. Are you certain that "certified copy" is required?

A photocopy is generally fine as long as the original docuement from which the copy was made bears the seal of the issuing authority. I supplied a photocopy of a certified copy but my wife had a certified copy available in case she was asked. There may be cases that are completed without the seal but an attorney can supply a copy that doesn't even bear the judge's signature. People need to make sure they provide something that can be verified as an actual legal decree. The seal is the best bet.

I don't get your "demarcation point" comment. To what do you refer?

In case this got missed in my last post, I'm pasting it here again.

William wrote: If your income exceeds the poverty line of income, no further evidence is required. The I-134 needs to be notarized.

I wrote: If your income is sufficient, you can skip all questions regarding assets on the I-134 but you will need the tax returns or transcripts and some recent pay stubs.

An I-134 needs supporting documentation. You can't just state a high income and sign the form before a notary. You have to provide somthing to document the income. Tax transcripts or complete returns are the best practice for past income and pay stubs for current income. "No further evidence is required." again might work sometimes. I've seen cases where no financials were even asked for at interview but I sure wouldn't advise somebody to show up without taxes and pay stubs as "further evidence".

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

[/size]

A photocopy is generally fine as long as the original docuement from which the copy was made bears the seal of the issuing authority. I supplied a photocopy of a certified copy but my wife had a certified copy available in case she was asked. There may be cases that are completed without the seal but an attorney can supply a copy that doesn't even bear the judge's signature. People need to make sure they provide something that can be verified as an actual legal decree. The seal is the best bet.

Fair enough pushbrk.

With respect to the demarcation comment, it is purely my supposition about former USG employment, and completely unfounded. Please disregard.

Edited by William33

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

[/size]

Fair enough pushbrk.

With respect to the demarcation comment, it is purely my supposition about former USG employment, and completely unfounded. Please disregard.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Much appreciated. Another related question - think I did see a post on this recently. What about my (old) marriage certificate. I am already divorced from that marriage and can see needing a judgment of divorce, but my marriage certificate ? Packet 3/4 instructions say, need marriage certificate of the applicant. I guess, I am not the applicant but my fiancee is. My fiancee has never been married before. Do you guys think I need it and should take it to my fiancee ?

Thanks a bunch.

Timeline for K1 visa

9/11/2008 – mailed I-129F

9/12/2008 – Received at VSC/NOA 1 sent (mail stamp-9/16)

9/15/2008 – check cashed

9/19/2008 –Received NOA1

12/28/2008 – Received NOA2 Approval email from CRIS

01/06/2009 – Left NVC for Mumbai Consulate

01/07/2009 – Received NVC confirmation letter in the mail

01/08/2009 – Mumbai Consulate received file electronically and sent packet 3 (info from DOS)

01/10/2009 – Mumbai Consulate received file (hard copy) from NVC (DHL tracking)

01/19/2009 – Overnighted packet 3 (still did not receive receive pkt 3 from Mumbai)

01/20/2009 – Packet 3 arrives at Mumbai Consulate

01/23/2009 – called DOS and was informed that packet 4 has been sent and interview date set.

01/24/2009 – Received hard copy of packet 3 (postmark Jan 20). Too late. Already sent packet 3 on Jan 19.

02/02/09 – Received Packet 4

02/04/09 – Submitted documents at the VFS Kolkata Office

02/06/09 - Medicals completed

03/02/2009 – BIG DAY, i.e., Interview Date

03/03/2009 - Visa received in mail

04/09/2009 - POE

AOS

04/17/2009 - CIVIL

6/16/2009 - Mailed AOS package

6/19/2009 - NOA1

7/08/2009 - AOS transferred to CSC

7/17/2009 - Biometrics appointment, EAD case Touched

8/05/2009 - EAD card production ordered, AP approved !!!!

ROC

08/27/2011 - Mailed ROC packageCIVIL

08/29/2011 - NOA1

09/19/2011 - Early Bio (scheduled date 10/03/2011)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

perhaps you read a posting about a K 3 filing. A divorce decree kind of implies there was a marriage. :lol:

Seriously, just the divorce decree. Check to see if you need to submit certified copies or if photocopies are acceptable.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.