Jeraly

~July 2007 K-1 Filers II~

643 posts in this topic

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should be made aware :)

I agree with you. Though they should be made aware of many things. But also what doesn´t seem to have an influence on their lives they seem to forget fast. I think it´s human nature :( When you speak to people about it, they are concerned etc. But also I can imagine in general people aren´t very interested in immigrancy issues since they probably think there are plenty of immigrants here now and the country doesn´t need more so why make their lives easier :P

Also right now lotsa people might be more interested in how to solve their own economy problems.

I always have weird dreams too, and often remember them when I wake up, but if I don't talk about them to someone right away I tend to forget them. Though, I still remember a nightmare I had when I was 5. Vividly. When I tell it now it seems really funny rather than really scary, but at the time I couldn't get to my mom quick enough!

I usually forget the dreams too if I don´t talk about them. I remember two dreams that used to repeat every now and then when I was little. It was kinda scary but not but it wasn´t very pleasant. For example I used to hear Santa Claus (or whoever delivers the presents) walking through huge snowdrifts and cuz the steps were so heavy and deep the sound of snow pressing down was so loud and regular and he just kept walking, carrying his huge bag of toys on his back and the sound as he kept making steps was bothering me :P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
I think they should be made aware :)

I agree with you. Though they should be made aware of many things. But also what doesn´t seem to have an influence on their lives they seem to forget fast. I think it´s human nature :(

all of the above is true :)

but what is also true is that many people, including me, are interested in things that don't affect us personally... developing world problems and unfair laws and so on... so maybe some people will want to know :)

and in any case as soon as there's a face, and a specific story, people get more interested... just the general facts and their eyes glaze over ;)

but yes: in the grand scheme of things, this issue isn't top of the list... I can't really decide on what should be top, but it would be environmental issues or the gross injustice faced by the truly poor of this world, largely at the hands of the rich :(:angry:

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

I was actually thinking about you, Agnes, before you were going to fly back here. I thought you were going to be homesick. Sorry to hear that you are so much homesick. I guess it shouldn´t be such a trouble for you two to move to Germany especially since Eric can speak German (as far as I can remember). Unless there are other things that are keeping him here. I hope you find a job you like soon. A nice job can cheer a person up :)

I´m actually pretty happy here. There used to be some things that would bug me sometimes cuz they were different but I guess I got used to them being different. I can even walk around here in town cuz a lot of stuff is withing walking distance from us. I have a loving husband and the bestest baby and nice friends and I like the friendliness and the way people are usually nice and polite and they smile. Actually when I was back in Europe I didn´t like the amount of cig smoke and cig buts I had to smell and look at especially since I was pregnant. And a lot of people frown in Europe for some reason and walk with their heads looking down. I decided it must be cuz since they often walk, there must be lotsa cig buts on the ground and/or spit and so they are trying to avoid stepping in it :P:lol: Anyways, I think there are things that need improving everywhere and there are good and bad things everywhere so I am happy where I am cuz I am with my loving family :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Yeah, I guess people only bother about things that directly affect them.

I hope everybody is having a great day!!!!

Removal of Conditions - Timeline:

5/26/2010: I-751 Received

5/27/2010: NOA

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Everyone is different, and every country isn't for every person. Given time, people can adapt, but that doesn't mean they will be truly happy. That's a decision you (obviously) have to make for yourself. You know that we all here wish you nothing but success and happiness, no matter how/where things go.

*hug*

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I have a question for you guys:

If you are really really honest, is there anything but your husbands that keeps you here in the US?

Agnes, I'm SO sorry you're feeling so bad about it all :(

my feelings aren't as extreme as yours, but they're on the same line - no, there's not much keeping me here, apart from my husband; I've found some things to enjoy - often only with some determination ;) - and many of the people I have met have been lovely, but it's not home, it's not even homelike; the bureaucracy nightmare is an effing insult and so many smaller things - like writing the date backwards and stupid outdated Imperial measurements - just bug me beyond all reason and measure...

if Eric is fine with going back to Germany, I say go :)

hell, I'd give my leg to be able to live in Germany... why would you NOT go ;)

but if it's going to be difficult, or there are other reasons keeping him here, there ARE alternatives - perhaps you would be happier in a different state; perhaps you will feel differently when you have a job... perhaps you're clinically depressed and you need to see someone

be strong... none of this is endless, and you WILL work out what you want and need :)

*hugs* :star:

I'm sorry you're feeling that way too Agnes. I haven't returned to the UK yet but I'm sure when I do that the return trip will be bittersweet. And this is coming from someone who really loves it in the US (much to my surprise). I love the work-life balance here, the mountains (oh those mountains!!) the people I've met, my new extended family. The economy and job market really do suck right now but at least it's more affordable than back home (for me anyway). This part of all our lives was always going to be tough - the first months and maybe years of being away from all we know - but maybe it is just that, maybe in time you will find people and places which make you feel more comfortable with your life here. At least you gave it a go - and if it doesn't work out and Eric is happy to move to Germany with you then so be it. It is so reassuring to know that he is prepared to do so for the both of you. So be happy! It seems like you certainly found the right person - even if he is in the wrong place :P

And StP. I love the imperial measurements and who needs scales here when you have 'cups'? I hated it when the UK went 'european', only because I

knew what a lb of stuff looked like when i was picking up meat or cheese from the deli or butcher. I would always be difficult and just ask for 'half a pound' or a 'quarter' anyway. The kids in Sainsbury's have no idea now though. I'm showing my age. The date thing still confounds me and I have to think hard about it.

No Babbles - I'm with you on the imperial!! When it was made compulsory to do metric I got all confused - I grew up asking for a quarter of sweets in the local sweet shop and now it is 100g instead - it's just not the same :(

The cups/quarts etc. have taken some getting used to but thanks to my new healthy regime and mucho water-drinkage I am now fully aware that there are 8oz in a cup and 4 cups in a quart etc... :D In fact when baking, my mum used to have some proper brass scales with the weights you had to counter-balance - I *loved* those - they are in her attic somewhere and I would still love them :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Timeline
And StP. I love the imperial measurements and who needs scales here when you have 'cups'? I hated it when the UK went 'european', only because I

knew what a lb of stuff looked like when i was picking up meat or cheese from the deli or butcher.

oh you traitor :P

I never weighed anything; always used cups... but are you aware that the UK/Australian cup is different to the US cup? you have to watch out which recipes you're using... when I made my traditional Christmas goodies I used the Australian cups I'd brought over with me because they were all Australian recipes and I didn't want to risk any catastrophes :lol:

and it's less the weight measures anyway, and more the bloody stupid Fahrenheit, and the woman measuring my posters to quote me prices for framing and saying 'so this one is 12 and 5/8 inches... this is 17 and 2/3 inches... none of these are standard sizes you know' when they were all A sizes... millimetres is SO much easier and accurate... and the date thing drives me BONKERS; I'd almost sort of got there in December, but for some reason now we're in January and all the dates are starting with '1' I just can't get with it :blink:

I grew up with metric though... probably helps ;)

babbles, hope you stick around a bit :)

have missed you :star:

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It would certainly be better if we could all agree on one system! I'm sure we can all agree that what makes it difficult/annoying is dealing with something we're unfamiliar with. I would probably agree that the metric system does make more sense, but seeing as how I didn't grow up with it, I'm much more familiar with inches & such. When I go back to Canada I'll have to start thinking in Celsius again. Scott is incredibly bad with numbers, so I'm surprised to see him actually starting to get used to Fahrenheit. By the time he gets it it'll be my turn again. :lol:

K1

------------------------------------

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
oh you traitor :P

I never weighed anything; always used cups... but are you aware that the UK/Australian cup is different to the US cup? you have to watch out which recipes you're using... when I made my traditional Christmas goodies I used the Australian cups I'd brought over with me because they were all Australian recipes and I didn't want to risk any catastrophes :lol:

and it's less the weight measures anyway, and more the bloody stupid Fahrenheit, and the woman measuring my posters to quote me prices for framing and saying 'so this one is 12 and 5/8 inches... this is 17 and 2/3 inches... none of these are standard sizes you know' when they were all A sizes... millimetres is SO much easier and accurate... and the date thing drives me BONKERS; I'd almost sort of got there in December, but for some reason now we're in January and all the dates are starting with '1' I just can't get with it :blink:

I grew up with metric though... probably helps ;)

babbles, hope you stick around a bit :)

have missed you :star:

Am a traitor and not afraid to be!! (at least on the internets anyway :D )

Actually, I am with you on the poster and paper sizing malarkey. A sizes are so much more sensible. I did buy a very unusually sized Hockney poster on a visit to LACMA and went to Michael's armed with a 50% off framing voucher i'd picked up in the paper. Obviously there was nothing 'off the shelf' I could buy so I approached the counter and proceeded to run through the questions about frames, glass, mounting etc. she asked me with "the cheapest option you have" (I'm a northern lass you know!) in the hopes of picking up a bargain that looked fairly decent. She plugged the numbers into her calculator and eventually said "$210 maam". I gasped and replied "that includes the discount?" :blink: The stupid part is that the poster cost $15 and I could have bought it framed for $70.

I was in my twenties when the metric thing became law in the UK. By then, like Aly, I had bought many a quarter of midget gems and could not get my head around 100g of stuff, despite having 'grown up' at school using only metric measurements. But a quarter of sweeties is a very different and more palpable concept than a kg of lead or feathers. So, I am sort of bilingual in measurements, akin to only being able to speak sufficient french to order a beer in a bar.

:star: I have missed you all too!! I will stick around, and if I disappear for a while I promise to be back and write more random rubbish from time to time :P

Timeline

my framing experience was at Michaels with a 50% off voucher too :lol:

and I was also astounded at the prices ;)

yes, you're right, rae; it's got a lot to do with what you're used to... but for measurements, millimetres are just more accurate, as well as being simple (and more logical, but that's a bit more subjective and depends on what you're used to, as you pointed out)

and yes, the A sizes are SO SENSIBLE! I loved working with them... so easy to work out your options :)

hope you do stick around, babbles :)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.