gethere

PHONE CALLS???

14 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Does anyone know of a way to call internationally for free other than skype? We are trying to make cheap calls cell phone to cell phone! But I AM BROKE!!! Thanks!

try yahoo messenger and mic..

😁

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Calling Cards! No monthly fee. This saves you money if you're only making one or two calls a month. Whereas, if you subscribe monthly, the average rate is about $25/month...and you still need to pay the international rate depending on your destination.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Wow! Good question. I've also searched in the past for cheap rates. However, it always ends up back to calling cards.

The smart thing to do is that if you're broke, reduce the calling to 2-3 times a week.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't think you'll find any and if you do, please share the info! :lol:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Timeline

Yeah if you find something free you need to let us all know! We like talking everyday as well but I had to stop. :crying: When he calls from his cell phone he can only call for about 2 min. So the long calls are on me. He does not make much $$ so I was calling all the time. But I agree with other posts I had to be reasonable and know b/c of cost we could not call everyday. I am the one trying to get over to him and he is not able to assist me. So it was a decision for me to make. Call him all the time (go broke) and we will be pen pals :lol: or I want to spend my life with this man and have to lower my costs so I can be with him (marry etc..).

1. So I will share with you what I do. By no means does this take the place of calling, but we text everyday. I have unlimited text with my cell company. International text costs me nothing and for him to receive my text costs him nothing. So inbetween times I can't call we text so we are always knowing how the other is doing. He tries to text as much as he can as it does cost him to send, but free for me to receive his.

2. I will call him with my cell phone but only for a few minutes here and there as its $0.65 per min. Another reason I do this is to prove when the times comes I did call him from my cell (as calling cards they don't take for evidence).

3. I found for me calling cards seem to be working. I get a card called African Dream. The $5.00 gives 55min & the $2.00 gives 22 min no connection fee. So if he does not answer it does not take any min away from me. I also here and there use a company online www.phonecardsavenue.com (and I can buy the cards online & have my pin immed).

There are some things I have found out about like

Magic Jack

I'm thinking of using Pingo as I found out the calls are very cheap to him. This seems to be the lowest (rates) I have ever found.

On the off topic I posted something called Free calls (some others told what they used it might help you). http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2334993

But I know for us what some others used was going to involve a lot of cost for me. Like for magic jack, my SO does not have internet service. He would not be able to afford having a computer and internet in his place. He can't afford to buy all that we would need to keep our calls free. I was going to try and see if mj could give me a number from naija but I decided not to go through all that.

If something changes in the future I'm not sure but calling cards are working for us & my budget. But even with those I had to slow down. I go to the oriental market so much they just grab the card. I save all the cards and I put them on a key ring in order by price and company and on one I had $2.00 (calling cards) over $75.00 and I was like wow! I don't have all the ones from the start of our relationship but I think I would be amazed at how much I have spent over time. He and I talked about it and we understood we both needed to slow down with the calls. He understood...

Yeah it's just so nice to talk everyday and once you start it's hard to stop! There has to be something free out there maybe I'll do more research and find it!
Edited by kk_mine

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

calling to a cellphone is usually more expensive than calling to a reg landline.. some calling cards or skype or msn will charge you 0.05 cents to a reg phone, while charging you .20 to a cellphone provider, or more.. that is from USA to another country of course..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
Does anyone know of a way to call internationally for free other than skype? We are trying to make cheap calls cell phone to cell phone! But I AM BROKE!!! Thanks!

I came across www.mybottomline.co.za. It's not free, but you only pay the cost of a local call. It's brilliant to call from a SA cell network to any international cell no, and it only costs you the local cell to cell rate, and you can use free minutes as well.

Just dial 087 941 2345 follow the voice prompt dial 00+your international no. The connection is instant and there's no delay on the line either. Happy days, I now spend plenty time talking to my love in the US.

Our K1 Journey Timeline

06.00.1998 - Met Online

12.22.2008 - I-129F received by VSC

12.22.2008 - NOA1 issued

04.08.2009 - NOA2 in 107 days - Igors List #174

04.14.2009 - NVC sent to Consulate in South Africa

04.29.2009 - Consulate received

05.04.2009 - Packet #3 received

05.08.2009 - Packet #4 received

05.14.2009 - Medical - Passed

06.22.2009 - Interview - APPROVED

06.29.2009 - Visa in hand

08.06.2009 - POE - Boston

08.22.2009 - Returned to South Africa

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

The only way I know of doing cell to cell for cheap is with a calling card or with Skype.

There's a 3rd party that allows you to use smartPhones with Skype. It's a bit tricky, but it works...I think the application costs

$30 bucks, and then you just pay the Skype-Out fees, but that's it.

In theory, if you both had this app on your phones, you could use Skype for free.

Again....just a theory...you'll have to do the leg-work yourself.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sure know the feeling about being broke, with six years in our military with honorable service than another four years of college I was working through and getting screwed out of my veteran benefits because of some alleged fire in the record section in St. Louis last thing I could afford was a woman. But meeting my new wife and wanting to talk to her at least ten hours or more a week quickly added to my phone bill with even a couple of bucks in my pocket.

Found this site back then and still using it.

http://www.nobelcom.com/nobelcom/jsp/produ...;%3DSearch.y=42

But she found a hispanictelecom place where anyone in Venezuela can call her for a flat 20 bucks a month, unlimited. They just dial a local number in Venezuela and when they do, her cell phone rings. When we got down there, she changed the USA calling number from her cell phone to her daughters so she could constantly keep in touch as she was watching our home and dog, then she changed it back to hers when we got home.

But just asking for tips without mentioning the country doesn't get you any good advice, all countries are different. I really limited my calls to my wife's cell phone before she came here, just long enough to learn she was okay, from the 3 cent landphone rate was closer to a buck per minute back then, really don't know what it is now.

South Africa?

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

www.uniontelecard.com

I suggest the Mega Clean and Stable card...6.3 cents per minute to South Africa. I have 2.3 cents per minute to Argentina. We have been using this company/card for more than 4 years. I have never had a single problem. I also enjoy that it has capacity to set up certain features like auto reload when your card gets low on dollars...so I reload $10 at a time (great to not have to remember a new pin), pinless dialing, speed dialing, call history (good for showing USCIS) and no connection fee. You really can't go wrong with it. Also, I had received $5 bonuses for every hundred dollars spent, I recently cashed them all in and we got more than $180 in call time.:wow:

Just my two cents. :thumbs:

Edited by Staashi