master4g

How long after Greencard interview can we leave the country

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey. We have our green card interview coming up in December. Assuming that it gets approved, would it be ok to travel internationally right away. Do you get the approval at the interview or later by mail. I was thinking that we can leave right away, and have my parents mail my wifes greencard (when it arrives by mail) to our address internationally.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey. We have our green card interview coming up in December. Assuming that it gets approved, would it be ok to travel internationally right away. Do you get the approval at the interview or later by mail. I was thinking that we can leave right away, and have my parents mail my wifes greencard (when it arrives by mail) to our address internationally.

If you have documentation of approval (either via physical greencard itself or the I-551 stamp in your passport) you can travel and re-enter the USA.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You have to wait til you get it in the mail...If you have AP once you've been approved for the greencard that becomes invalid...you can however ask for the stamp in your passport (I think that's valid for 1 yr) and you can use that while you wait for it to come in the mail...good luck...

Greencard (2008):

July 16....AOS mailed;

July 17.......AOS received
July 21.......NOA1 receipt date

July 23.......Check Cashed
July 25.......Received NOA1

July 28.......Received Biometrics appointment
Aug 12.....received RFE notice

Aug 13...Biometrics Appointment

August 19...RFE received, case resumed processing
Oct. 8.........EAD Card production ordered

Oct. 16.......EAD Approval noticed mailed
Oct. 18........EAD in hand (came in mail)
Nov 3.........Interview Notice received in mail
Dec 4.........Interview APPROVED, CRIS email: card production ordered
Dec 9.........Welcome noticed received in mail Dec 9.........card production ordered
Dec 14.......Received greencard in mail

CITIZENSHIP (2014):
May 7...Application mailed out

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You have to wait til you get it in the mail...If you have AP once you've been approved for the greencard that becomes invalid...you can however ask for the stamp in your passport (I think that's valid for 1 yr) and you can use that while you wait for it to come in the mail...good luck...

but we will be visiting my inlaws in england and will be there for a long time. so i was thinking that my parents can mail it to me there once it arrives here, or even send it with one of my relatives who will also be going there

what do you think

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

but we will be visiting my inlaws in england and will be there for a long time. so i was thinking that my parents can mail it to me there once it arrives here, or even send it with one of my relatives who will also be going there

what do you think

I would explain this at the interview and get them to stamp the passport

YMMV

what do you think

I wouldn't risk it. If the GC is delayed you cannot come back until you receive it which can sometimes take months, even a couple of years. There is a thread about somebody who was "approved" at their interview in July 2007, and still no GC http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128276

how long are you going for? FYI-if you stay away more than 6 months you will have problems at re-entry into the US. More than 12 months and you can lose your permanent residency.

Once approved, explain that you are travelling soon, and ask them to stamp your passport.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I agree with the previous post about getting the stamp before you leave. However, note that they will not always stamp your passport as part of your GC interview - even if you ask. We are in a similiar situation with travel scheduled to Europe for the Christmas holidays and had our GC interview yesterday in LA, and got approved. We have an Advance Parole document already, but once we got approved yesterday we were informed that that document is no longer valid. When we explained the travel situation, the officer who approved our GC said that they are not allowed to give stamps on passports as part of the GC approval process. A seperate appt would need to be scheduled to get that stamp. So we are going to have to schedule another appt and come back, in order to get the stamp. I don't know if that's policy, or just the judgement of the officer we got for our interview .... but just FYI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.