Maldez

Stupid Question

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm sure this is a totally stupid question, but I'm new to all this and just have to ask.

Why can I, a US citizen with a passport, get on a plane and go to the Philippines with no problem. I'm issued a visa on the spot. But my Filipino gf, who also has a passport, can not do the same? She's a virtual prisoner in her country. What would happen if she just got on a plane, passport in hand, and flew to the US?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Because way too many people abused the system, and the US government cracked down on it.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Because way too many people abused the system, and the US government cracked down on it.

To many filipinos go illegal when they arrive in the US on tourist visas.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Same thing with Jamaicans. It's not just Phillipinos. And, yes, I believe it is because too many abused the system.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If she got on a plane she would be refused entry in the US at whatever port of entry she hit. Then they would have her book a flight back to the Philippines on the next available flight and she would have to pay the return flight and change flight fees etc. She would be held prisoner in customs until she left on her flight back.

thats if she can get on the flight to the USA. They also have rules about first time travelers and they might require her to have a CFO seminar and stamp, and could refuse to let her on the plane there in the Philippines with no visa or CFO stamp. Either way it goes she cant enter the USA unless she has a visa and they will check her passport when she tries to leave the Philippines and when she lands in the USA.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is simply no waiver given to the Philippines for entering USA. POLICY!

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She is not a prisoner in her country, she is simply not welcome in ours... she *CAN* go to some other countries. I wish it wasn't next to impossible to get a tourist visa from the philippines to the US, I'd almost certainly be with my fiancee right now if it was, unfortunately I just have to wait until the NOA2 shows up to schedule my next flight over.

Many countries can come to the US much like we can travel to the philippines, basically any country which is significantly poorer than us, represents too high a risk of illegal immigration (or people adjusting status from visitor visa to marriage).

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

ASK THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (i'm kidding) i agree with the above statements :thumbs: a lot of people now, from different countries wanting to enter HERE --- USA but, US government want them to go here legally in a proper ENTRY not just jumping from other country going in HERE and hide their selves;)

Edited by stevent

Naturalization

01-04-2012 --- N400 sent

01-11-2012 --- Check Cashed

01-10-2012 --- NOA1

02-07-2012 --- Biometrics

02-14-2012 --- Yellow Letter (it says "bring any state issued ID" for interview)

02-24-2012 --- Placed in line for Interview Scheduling

02-27-2012 --- Interview Letter sent out

03-02-2012 --- Interview Letter received

04-02-2012 --- INTERVIEW- passed!

05-01-2012 --- Oath scheduled/ Oath Letter Sent

05-16-2012 --- Oath Taking! I am now a USC!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-5

05-17-2012 --- I-130 Sent

05-29-2012 --- NOA1

09-24-2012 --- NOA2

10-11-2012 --- Received Case Number via email

10-12-2012 --- Mailed AOS

10-24-2012 --- Mailed DS-230

11-16-2012 --- Case Complete

11-27-2012 --- Received interview schedule via email

11-05-2012 --- Early Medical day 1

11-06-2012 --- Medical Day 2 -PASSED!

01-03-2013 --- Interview- APRROVED!

01-10-2013 --- VISA Received

01-14-2013 --- POE LAX

That's true. And if I'm not mistaken, the Philippines is number two on the list next to Mexico and beating India for the second spot in the last few years.

That's true. And if I'm not mistaken, the Philippines is number two on the list next to Mexico and beating India for the second spot in the last few years.

Also, you won't be allowed to board the plane without a US visa. In fact, most local travel agencies ask whether or not you have a visa. They will not issue tickets without a visa.

In USA we let over 14 milliions Illegal Aliens come into the USA.

Most from Mexico and countries south of Mexico.

Many are uneducated and bring in crime and disease.

On the flip side, In Philippines you have a country of highly educated people whom in my opinion would benefit the USA.

Very few Illegals from South of USA can speak English.

While most of the educated PI can speak and write English, and hold college degrees.

Very unfair in my opinion.........

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

I know it is not fair, when I go over to the states on VWP I get 3 months..................when my fiance comes here to England he gets stamped with 6 months I have always wondered about that one.............

Filed: Timeline

resiprosity.

I'm sure this is a totally stupid question, but I'm new to all this and just have to ask.

Why can I, a US citizen with a passport, get on a plane and go to the Philippines with no problem. I'm issued a visa on the spot. But my Filipino gf, who also has a passport, can not do the same? She's a virtual prisoner in her country. What would happen if she just got on a plane, passport in hand, and flew to the US?

roland

What would happen if she just got on a plane, passport in hand, and flew to the US?
Wouldn't happen - she'd be asked about her visa when booking the flight, then it'd be verified at check-in. There'd be no boarding of the flight. :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am a public school techer, and I work with scores of filipino teachers who have come here legally. They hired an agent in the Philippines to get them the visa and job. Generally this process, along with travel, costs several thousands US dollars. Once they get here, many find the work conditions to be less than optimal (they are teaching innercity youth). Some adjust well, while others want to go straight home to their families! Unfortunately due to the amount of money they put out, they're virtual prisoners here for about two years (the time it takes to save up enough to pay debt and get home). Most of them do have family back in the Philippines, which they support through their American salary. If they can make it here two years, they generally then bring their family over as well. They seem to fare much better once their family has arrived.

I mention this to illustrate that America does welcome people from all over the world, however there are conditions for entry. Every country has conditions, and there is good reason ours are stricter, as several posters have stated. I want our country to remain excellent, and if this process helps preserve and protect that, then so be it. I do not begrudge the process one bit, especially when we have communities like VJ that help one through it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.