Stan1234

Car insurance

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I previously posted about the joys of trying to obtain a CA driving permit whilst waiting for AOS (in short a big fat no) so anyway I was just going to continue driving on my UK licence until I was able to apply for a CA licence. My wife thought that it would be a sensible idea to check with her insurance company (Safeco) to make sure that I would still be covered and that it would be ok for me to carry on driving on her policy for the mean time. She just spoke to them the bad news was that I would only be able to continue driving on her insurance if it was only a temporary thing and that we were in the process of adding me. The almost good news was that it seemed like they'd be able to add me to her policy using my UK driving licence. However after a lengthy phone call in which she gave all my details (UK licence number, SSN etc) it turns out that no safeco doesn't accept foreign drivers licences and worse that even when I get a CA licence I would need to have 18 months (!) driving experience before they could insure me and that no, foreign driving experience was not recognised. My wife pointed out that this was a slight catch 22, how was I supposed to get experience without insurance! Turns out this is some bizarre Safeco policy so now we're going to need to shop around for new insurace.

So.... the question is does anyone have experience of getting CA (or any other state) car insurance on a non-US driving licence? I've read on this site that a number of people have had issues with the foreign experience not being accepted resulting in high premiums. Anyone know of any insurers that DO take into account foreign experience? Anyone been in a similar situation/have any pearls of wisdom.

Cheers

We are about to venture into this same arena. Claudeth has been here for 3 plus years and really needs to learn how to drive. Aside from that, the insurance for her is way off the charts but will be worth it to give her a bit more independance.

A lot of the 'main' insurance providers don't like to insure 'new' drivers so you end up going to the higher risk places which will probably charge you an arm and a leg. I am with Mercury and they are willing to add claudeth for the right price :unsure:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Hello, I previously posted about the joys of trying to obtain a CA driving permit whilst waiting for AOS (in short a big fat no) so anyway I was just going to continue driving on my UK licence until I was able to apply for a CA licence. My wife thought that it would be a sensible idea to check with her insurance company (Safeco) to make sure that I would still be covered and that it would be ok for me to carry on driving on her policy for the mean time. She just spoke to them the bad news was that I would only be able to continue driving on her insurance if it was only a temporary thing and that we were in the process of adding me. The almost good news was that it seemed like they'd be able to add me to her policy using my UK driving licence. However after a lengthy phone call in which she gave all my details (UK licence number, SSN etc) it turns out that no safeco doesn't accept foreign drivers licences and worse that even when I get a CA licence I would need to have 18 months (!) driving experience before they could insure me and that no, foreign driving experience was not recognised. My wife pointed out that this was a slight catch 22, how was I supposed to get experience without insurance! Turns out this is some bizarre Safeco policy so now we're going to need to shop around for new insurace.

So.... the question is does anyone have experience of getting CA (or any other state) car insurance on a non-US driving licence? I've read on this site that a number of people have had issues with the foreign experience not being accepted resulting in high premiums. Anyone know of any insurers that DO take into account foreign experience? Anyone been in a similar situation/have any pearls of wisdom.

Cheers

Been there, done that (albeit, pre 9/11); in 1994, I was able to get GA insurance with State Farm while I was driving on my AB (Canadian) licence, no issues***.

As for insurers, shop around--unfortunately, company policies in one state are completely inapplicable in another.

***other than that the Province actually considers it illegal, which I didn't find out until 2004--about 8 years after I'd already swapped-out my Canadian DL for a US-state one.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

In Oregon Farmers accepted my UK license until I had time to get my Oregon one.

They insured myself and the USC with the policy in our joint names for both cars.

They also accepted my previous driving history in the UK, had to show them the insurance cover notes for the previous 2 years. Once they had been sent to them they reduced the premium. 18 months later they moved us from the insurance being renewed every 6 months to a yearly policy.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Cheers

I'd call Safeco back and talk to a supervisor. I *think* Safeco sells a standard ISO form in CA. What this means to you is: standard forms include your spouse whether or not they are a named insured on the policy. Check your policy language for the definition of an insured; I'm almost certain it will say "whoever is named and the spouse of whoever is named."

The situation you are describing is a set of insurer rules that apply to eligibility relating to taking on new business off the street. As someone already insured with them, your spouse is not "new" business. Yes, an insured (in this case, your spouse) is required to let them know when a driver enters the household and has a car on the policy that is "furnished and available for regular use" to another party, and the insurer/Safeco at that point can determine whether or not to renew the policy the next term (there are strict rules governing cancellation of insurance policies). With regard to the driving experience, it's a similar situation to adding a teenage child as a driver on a policy, and I'm pretty sure that Safeco hasn't stopped writing insurance for peeps who have kids that are growing up. That might be a good point to make to the supervisor.

I'm not saying they have to insure you, just that I think you got a newer rep that might not realize you are automagically covered when you become a spouse even if your name isn't on the policy for the remainder of the policy term (only true with a standard form policy). Did they threaten you with non-renewal of the policy?

If your spouse has been insured with them for more than a couple of years with a good loss experience, ask for an exception to their stated policy. The cleaner your record, the newer the cars you guys drive, existence of other policies (ie. homeowners) with them - these are all factors in your favor. Insurers don't like to let people go when they pay their premiums on time and don't have accidents. You might also point out that it will cost them more to take market share from another insurer than it will to keep their existing business.

The key in your case may be to switch your stated status from "regular driver" to "occasional driver". In America, insurance follows the car rather than the driver. If the car is insured with Safeco and the named insured gives their permission to anyone to drive it, and that driver has an accident, Safeco has no choice but to provide coverage for the accident. Their only choice is to non-renew your policy next time around.

In any event, good luck with your insurance search.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My hubby added me no problems with Geico in Hawaii. He just gave them my Alberta DL # and that was it.

They were even willing to insure my car in Canada until I moved. Didn't do that since I was paid to the end of the year, but my car was insured the moment I drove it into the US.

Perhaps switch insurance companies of the premiums are similar?

We had no problems whatsoever with Unitrin Direct - their customer service has also been second to none - we have saved probably up to 50% in monthly premiums with them also when compared with other companies.

I was able to get on my husband's insurance with the proviso that I took my test within 30 days..... no problem - easy - great value - very helpful - have been with them for four years with absolutely no difficulties whatsoever.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
We had no problems whatsoever with Unitrin Direct - their customer service has also been second to none - we have saved probably up to 50% in monthly premiums with them also when compared with other companies.

I was able to get on my husband's insurance with the proviso that I took my test within 30 days..... no problem - easy - great value - very helpful - have been with them for four years with absolutely no difficulties whatsoever.

I had Unitrin Direct too! They are flexible on license but not so good when it comes to claims. Look at this as a temporary switch until she gets US license and then you gonna have whole lot more choices.

02/14/2008 Valentine`s Day Wedding!

AOS

04/09/2008 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

05/03/2008 call to USCIS because NOA1 not received ;( Got the receipt number and was told that we cannot get replacement NOA1.

08/21/2008 request for NOA1 for I-130 to file AOS placed over the phone and forwarded to VSC. Thanks to the first great Rep at USCIS hotline

10/17/2008 Hubby`s B-day, NOA1 for I-130 finally arrives!

10/21/2008 AOS sent to Chicago lockbox

10/31/2008 NOAs for AOS received

11/06/2008 I-130 is transferred to CSC

11/20/2008 biometrics done

12/02/2008 I-130 APPROVED!!!

01/02/2009 EAD received

02/12/2009 Interview APPROVED!!!

02/17/2009 welcome letter received

02/23/2009 GC received!!! yay!!!

RC

11/18/2010 I-751 Sent to VSC

11/22/2010 NOA1

01/07/2011 Early Bio

01/27/2011 Scheduled Bio

05/11/2011 RC approved

05/17/2011 GC received

Naturalization

11/14/2011 Sent package via Priority to Nebraska SC

11/25/2011 NOA made it

Relocated to NE

04/03/2012 Interview passed!!!

04/10/2012 Oath

04/10/2012 New prints required/done

04/14/2012 Received a welcome packet but still no certificate

04/17/2012 Certificate is here!!!!! Dated 04/16/2012 huh????

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

we had no problems with Progressive either, even in the quote u can get on line, you have the international issued driver license option

Edited by raphandarrin

02/20/2008 - wedding

06/09/2008 - finally sent package!

06/11/2008 - package received

06/19/2008 - NOA received - I-485, I-130, I-765

06/23/2008 - I-765 correction sent

06/25/2008 - I-765 correction received

06/30/2008 - NOA received, biometrics scheduled

07/11/2008 - I-485, I-765 touched

07/15/2008 - Biometrics

09/14/2008 - 90 days since NOA, no news about my EAD.

09/15/2008 - Called USCIS, no holds on my case, they made an inquiry on my EAD.

09/20/2008 - Got a letter saying they are working on my I-765 actively and there's nothing they could do, I have to wait for 6 more months till I'm "out of the" timeline again GRRRRRRRRRRR

09/25/2008 - Infopass appt.

09/26/2008 - EAD, card production ordered. YAAAAAAAAAAAY

09/29/2008 - EAD touched

10/01/2008 - EAD touched

10/03/2008 - Approval notice sent!yupyyyyyyyyyy

10/04/2008 - Finally received the EAD, time to go job hunting!

11/19/2008 - Interview letter received

01/13/2009 - Interview date APPROVED

01/13/2009 - Card production ordered

01/22/2009 - Aproval notice sent

01/22/2009 - Received Green Card YAAAAAAAAAAAAY

.png

Cheers for the replies.

The wife rang back the insurance company asked to speak to someone more senior, got through to some kind of supervisor underwriter or something. Anyone turns out that the first person she spoke to wasn't up on all the facts. Because we're married I do automatically qualify to be put onto her insurance, however because I don't have US driving experience (the person said that driving in the UK is different as we drive on the other side!!) we'll have to reapply when the insurance is up for renewal next year. The lady said our rate would probably go up by about $300 which isn't from what I've heard that bad but think we'll shop around, progressive seems like a popular place to try.

Anyway good news for the mean time I'm now covered! whoop!

Vrooom vrooom!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

when we went in to add me to the car insurance, we did so with no problems.. at the time I did have a US driver's license already but had only been driving with it for a short time.. the lady just asked if I had a clean record in Canada and I said yes but she didn't check up on it or anything...

we have full coverage and we are paying about 85 bucks a month... it is through Lincoln General...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Covered on two cars here -- 1st car was the wifes Toyota Camry -- cost did not change and they excepted my UK licence for 8 months.

Now we have 2 cars (needed two because of our different work patterns), I now have a Cadillac STS (1999 model) with the wife on the policy as well.

We are using State Farm for our insurance, and with both cars it's costing us around $470.00 every 6 months with full coverage on both cars.

We're in Texas and I have State Farm. I went to my agent to ask about adding Nick and if he needs a driver's license (which isn't going to happen soon due to some new rules in Texas). Also asked if it was going to be expensive to add him or if they needed a copy of his UK driving record. She said he's covered because it's the car that's insured and if I give permission for him to drive it, then he's covered. She said the cost to add him would add no cost to the current policy because he basically qualifies because of me and my past long-term policy with State Farm. And she said she wasn't even going to bother adding his name yet until we get something worked out with the driver's license.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.