fine_print

I'm considering divorce...

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Well I have no help to give, but I couldn't help but offer you my support. I would reccomend counceling if you can get it. Just think of everythign you went to trying to be together. Every marriage goes through this stage. Unfortunately some never get out of it. And if you DO divorce, you'll still have family and friends (in your country, and on VJ) to support you. Best of luck.

Visa Approved 7-20-06

NOA 1 for AOS and EAD 11-07-06

Recieved NOAs in mail 11-10-06

Touched 11-13-06 AOS and EAD

RFE Recieved 11-17-06

RFE mailed 11-21-06

Biometrics 11-27-06

Touched 12-7-06 AOS recieved RFE

Touched 12-9-06 AOS

Touched 12-11-06 AOS

Transfered to CSC 12-12-06

Recieved at CSC 12-14-06

Touched 12-15-06 AOS

Touched 12-16-06 AOS

Touched 12-18-06 AOS

Touched 12-19-06 AOS

Touched 12-29-06 AOS

Touched 12-31-06 AOS

Touched 1-5-07 EAD

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/selfhelp/family/divorce.htm

There is some information from your state's courts site.

When I divorced my ex, I was able to find a site that prepared my paperwork for me by asking some questions. Since the divorce was uncontested, we only needed to work out custody between the two of us and then print the stuff out and I only had to pay the court filing fees. I don't think that site does that for your state as well though.

I did a google search for "online divorce Michigan" and came up with quite a few site that offer that service, but for a price. It would be up to you though: $300 to do the paperwork online vs $1000's to have a lawyer do it...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Sad situation.

I would say, I think, that a marriage in your home country can't be dissolved in a US court. Perhaps you need to look into procedures there.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. Any marriage in any country can be dissolved in any country.

I speak from personal experience.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Some states may required you to register the marriage with their vital statistics before filing for divorce, but I believe you can get the divorce here. I believe it is also possible for you to file for the divorce in your home country as well. I hope you find peace of mind soon. Good luck.

Angel

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

Sad situation.

I would say, I think, that a marriage in your home country can't be dissolved in a US court. Perhaps you need to look into procedures there.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

This sounds like a case study......darn lawyers

?

you're wrong

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, I'm back. This time, my decision to divorce her is final. The reason: she (sort of) cheated on me with guys over the Internet, while at the same time giving me the cold shoulder, if you know what I mean. The funny thing is, they're from the same country and city I'm from.

When I found out, I went straight to her family's house and showed the unquestionable evidence to her brother. I guess her parents know too. I'll go back to Albania as soon as I can.

Now, maybe it would be interesting to know WHY she did that -- several times, with several people and for quite some months. Well, I didn't ask her. I guess I already know the answer: when I moved here, I left everyone and everything there. By doing so, I automatically lowered my value in her eyes; she knew that she "had" me, so her attraction and respect towards me declined. Also, I became dependent on her on many ways; I guess many of you are probably well-aware of the dependencies dictated by my (and many others') situation as a newcomer in America. Apparently, this didn't help too.

It has been said that, more often than not, it's the man that throws the girl into other men's arms. I did what I could, though. Maybe not my very best, but I really tried.

If you have any question, feel free to ask. Maybe I won't answer to some of them. That doesn't necessarily mean I won't answer to any.

Thanks for reading this. I'm not trying to bother you. Remember, I'm just sharing my own experience.

Edited by fine_print

Well, that sucks.. :(

Im sorry to hear things worked out this way for you - I hope the rest of your life has a happier path tho.

I'm curious tho - I guess from what you wrote she offered no explanation for her behaviour..was she sorry? Or just sorry she got caught?

I ask this because I know sometimes we need closure on these subjects and to know why; that and I'm nosy, and you offered :)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Well, that sucks.. :(

Im sorry to hear things worked out this way for you - I hope the rest of your life has a happier path tho.

I'm curious tho - I guess from what you wrote she offered no explanation for her behaviour..was she sorry? Or just sorry she got caught?

I ask this because I know sometimes we need closure on these subjects and to know why; that and I'm nosy, and you offered :)

I had a happy life before (and for some time with) her, so I know that one cheater cannot end my world... or should I say, the second. I have been cheated on before, by a girlfriend. She didn't even try to make up for that, so I NEXT-ed her. I had told my wife about that; I also had made clear to her that, if she ever cheated on me, it would be the very end between us.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why she doesn't insist on making things right. She did try to change my mind by swearing that she would change completely. But I made it clear to her: I'm not interested in her anymore.

The events happened during these last few days. So it's still early to say how things will precipitate.

Onto your question, Jaylen. The fact is, I didn't ask for, nor would quite listen to, any explanation from her. She tried to, but her explanations were so poorly constructed I didn't even allow her to talk to me anymore. Instead, I (basically) told her that I know that part of the guilt rests on me... but also that I knew that, whatever I may have (not) done, I didn't deserve this.

I assure you, the proof is factual. She might explain, but it won't change much.

Yes, she was (and still is) sorry. I'm not sure if it's just because she knows that she has lost me for good, or also because of guilt, shame, whatever.

She said she loves me and I replied: "Such a funny, sick and perverse kind of love you have there!"

Basically, I'm next-ing her because she hasn't been faithful. I'm not the jealous type, far from that. I just don't need a cheater in my life, a person that fantasizes (among other things) to spend nights with other guys while on vacation with me, in the country we both came from... and she vividly professed those fantasies to the very guys she planned to cheat me with. This is just one actual example.

Basically, this girl is an "attention wh***" (sorry, I can't find a better word). I just hadn't realized that attention from other people is so very important to her...

Edited by fine_print

Well, thanks for being so candid :) I hope you guys CAN work things out, if its at all possible, sometimes people do stupid things without thinking of the consequences, but I totally understand that if you don't feel you can trust her any more then it will be very hard for you to get back the feelings you had. You sound like a very together person tho, from the way you write, and you are protecting yourself from further hurt.

I really wish you luck for the future, whatever that may be (F)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

So sorry to see this is happening to you. I just hope life gets better for you. Hang in there ((((HUGS)))) (F)

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

*claps hands for OP*

I'm glad I'm not the only guy that can't stand (or take back) a cheater. Our two definations of what your wife did might not be the same or equal cheating, but it was considered cheating by you... so you go!

After having it happen to me (the full cheating deal... "laundry" and all... ) by my first wife, I'm very surprised (pleasantly at that) that I don't worry at all about my boo doing that to me.

How it Started

2001 to Feb 2002 - Met online, were acquintances

Mar to Apr 2005 - Talked about finally giving in to our feelings and getting married

Aug 1 to Aug 7, 2005 - Fifth US Visit - Engaged

Time for the Visa

Dec 8, 2005 - Finally mailed Packet

Dec 20, 2005 - NOA1 Notice Date

Dec 27, 2005 - NOA1 Rcv'd in Mail

Mar 10, 2006 - NOA2 Approved

Mar 23, 2006 - NVC Received Packet

Mar 24, 2006 - Case Forwarded to London Embassy

Apr 7, 2006 - Recieved Packet 3

May 11, 2006 - Packet 3 Sent Back

May 24, 2006 - Medical Appointment

May 24, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

Jun 14, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!

Jun 16, 2006 - Visa Recieved

Thanks guys for the kind words and support. I owe you one, again! :)

Consider what I wrote as a real-life example. In other words, I thought to remind you that such things do happen and to let you know that someone, somewhere, has experienced such events and how he dealt with them.

I will keep you posted. However, I feel sorry for "spoiling the fun" (in lack of better words), because I know what this board is about: to help us all through the long and windy road of joining our loved ones in the US. That was the case with me.

But I want to remind you all of an essential fact of life: when you leave everyone and everything to go someplace else to live with someone else, you are about to experience a lot of drastic changes, both in your own lives and in your life together.

So be prepared for everything, as much as you can. Be honest to yourself first and foremost. LOVE yourself; if you don't, you won't deserve honesty and love from the other people. At the same time, you won't deserve anything from others if you're not honest (at the very least) with them.

Take heart, my friends. Ultimately, the only person that matters the most to you is you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Take heart, my friends. Ultimately, the only person that matters the most to you is you.

i dunno, the pizza delivery person ranks pretty high in my book :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

So sorry to hear of this development....

I was divorced 3.5 yrs ago in Michigan (still live in MI).... it was as amicable as it could have been. We agreed on the division of property and the custody arrangement with the kids... there were a few things we had some 'discussion' about, but our respective attorneys just handled the filing of the paperwork through the court, rubber stamping the process for us to make sure it was all legal. Michigan is a no-fault state, so one does not have to prove fault in the other.... agreement to terminate the marriage is all that is necessary.

I paid my attorney a flat fee of $1000 to take care of everything for me. I filed on April 1 (ironic) and it was final on Dec 13 (Fri the 13th) (further irony...).

If you have any specific questions, about the divorce process or the healing process, feel free to pm me...

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.