Lois

Nigerian or American marriage

14 posts in this topic

From everyone with experience out there, which is better to do? Marry in Nigeria when I go, or wait to apply for the fiancee visa when I come home?

When are you coming back to home? If you are going to spend a lot of time in Nigeria marry there and apply for CR1 of K3 if not then come back to your country and apply for a K1.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Come back and file in the USA, BUT while you are in Nigeria with your spouse you can collect all the information you need to file so when you arrive back to the states you will be ready to send in the petition!

Chioma & Queena

Dec 23, 2008--- Met in Nigeria

Jan 1, 2008----Engagement Day

April 14, 2008----K-1 Packet mailed (VSC)

July 9,2008----NOA-2 Approved

Oct. 16,2008----Medical exam

Dec. 15,2008---Interview Approved(Thanks GOD)

Dec. 22,2008---Visa Recieved( Thanks GOD

Jan 13, 2008----Arrive in Atlanta POE

January 15, 2009--Apply for SSN Number

Jan. 23, 2009---Married

March 2 2008----Received SSN card

March 14, 2009---Got Driver's License

AOS TIMELINE

Mar. 30, 2009: AOS/EAD/AP filled

April 7, 2009 - EAD,AP and AOS NOA notice date

April 10, 2009 - received NOA1 hardcopy for EAD,AP and AOS

April 13, 2009- received Biometrics appt scheduled April 25, 2009

April 14, 2009-Biometrics walk-in done!

April 14, 2009-Called USCIS for AP to be expedited.

April 16, 2009-AP approved YES!!

April 24, 2009-EAD Card Received!!

Come back and file in the USA, BUT while you are in Nigeria with your spouse you can collect all the information you need to file so when you arrive back to the states you will be ready to send in the petition!

I think it ll be better you got Married here, but while you are back to Nigeria try as much as you can to collect datas you ll be needing.

The finacee visa has a shorter waiting period as mine lasted no more than 9 months from time of filing to getting the visa.

But if you get married there you can file for a K-3 and still achieve the main goal with more benefits too just that you will have to wait a little longer.

K-1 TIMELINE

I-129F Sent :2007-09-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-09-10

I-129F RFE(s) :2007-09-30

Visa Approved :2008-01-07

Consulate Received : 2008-01-14

Interview Date : 2008-06-02

Visa Received : 2008-06-12

US Entry : 2008-06-26

Marriage : 2008-08-02

Total days from filling 1-129F till Interview 270days

AOS TIMELINE

Sept 12, 2008- Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago (finally)

Sept 15, 2008- Delivered

Sept 18, 2008- Noas AOS/EAD/AP (yaay!!)

Oct 7th 2008- Case transferred to CSC

Oct 15, 2008- Biometric APPT (smooth and quick)

Oct 16, 2008- Case pending ......

Update....

EAD Card production ordered ........ 12/03/2008

Ap approved...approval notice sent 12/03/2008

Ap arrives in mail... dated ..............12/12/2008

EAD approval mail sent ..................12/11/2008

EAD arrives in mail ........................12/15/2008

AOS Touched .................................01/12/2009

AOS card production ordered...........02/27/2009

ROC TIMELINE 2011.

Jan 1st 2011 mailed in I751

Feb 15th 2011 Biometric appointment

May 24th 2011 Petition Approved

May 25th 2011 Card production ordered

May 31st 2011 Card recieved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Your best guide would be the timelines. Take a look and see what the wait times are and make your decision.

Also, you may want to consider if your fiance wants to work right away when he gets here. If the answer is yes, then go for the CR1. If he does not mind waiting, you can file either the K1 or K3.

Good luck :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

collect evidence:

-keep all your airline boarding passes, hotel receipts, telephone bills, etc...

-take lots of pictures together in different places and at different times of day

-save your emails and letters

-have your fiancee take some english classes to improve her skills and marketability when she goes out for jobs

-maybe even some computer classes

Edited by kid brooklyn

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think it ll be better you got Married here, but while you are back to Nigeria try as much as you can to collect datas you ll be needing.

The finacee visa has a shorter waiting period as mine lasted no more than 9 months from time of filing to getting the visa.

But if you get married there you can file for a K-3 and still achieve the main goal with more benefits too just that you will have to wait a little longer.

What did you mean when you said that getting married in Nigeria gives you "more benefits"? So, the CR1 papers will allow him to work here when he comes on the K1 visa? I can go either way, but I was thiking that it best to go the K1 visa route. Any more opinions are welcome...thank you.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Look at the timelines very carefully.

I don't know a thing about Nigeria; but I do know right now in Jamaica, the K-1 is a markedly shorter wait the the K-3 or CR-1, even when you throw in any adjustment of status wait times.

Think about what you want very carefully before you decide.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

I don't know a thing about Nigeria; but I do know right now in Jamaica, the K-1 is a markedly shorter wait the the K-3 or CR-1, even when you throw in any adjustment of status wait times.

I'm thinking along the lines of the K1 visa. Is the CR1 lengthy and will he be able to work when he gets here?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm thinking along the lines of the K1 visa. Is the CR1 lengthy and will he be able to work when he gets here?

He will be able to work when he gets here.

The CR-1 for JA right now is going over a year now. Most of that time is spent waiting for an embassy interview date.....going on 6 months of that now.

When my own husband came on a K-1, the TOTAL time from when we applied for AOS to when we got the green card was just about 4.5 months from the day he stepped foot in the US.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

He will be able to work when he gets here.

The CR-1 for JA right now is going over a year now. Most of that time is spent waiting for an embassy interview date.....going on 6 months of that now.

When my own husband came on a K-1, the TOTAL time from when we applied for AOS to when we got the green card was just about 4.5 months from the day he stepped foot in the US.

Do I need to bring the CR1 paperwork with me to Nigeria? I am bringing the K1 papers with me for him to sign without a date on it. Thanks for your help

What did you mean when you said that getting married in Nigeria gives you "more benefits"? So, the CR1 papers will allow him to work here when he comes on the K1 visa? I can go either way, but I was thiking that it best to go the K1 visa route. Any more opinions are welcome...thank you.

Yes its faster when you go the k-1 way but you have conditions added like you must get married within 90days and then file papers fast afterwards but with the spousal visa k-3 he can come here and start work immediately, you dont have conditions on his visa and he doesnt need advanced parole to travel outside the usa like the k-1 visa does.

K-1 TIMELINE

I-129F Sent :2007-09-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-09-10

I-129F RFE(s) :2007-09-30

Visa Approved :2008-01-07

Consulate Received : 2008-01-14

Interview Date : 2008-06-02

Visa Received : 2008-06-12

US Entry : 2008-06-26

Marriage : 2008-08-02

Total days from filling 1-129F till Interview 270days

AOS TIMELINE

Sept 12, 2008- Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago (finally)

Sept 15, 2008- Delivered

Sept 18, 2008- Noas AOS/EAD/AP (yaay!!)

Oct 7th 2008- Case transferred to CSC

Oct 15, 2008- Biometric APPT (smooth and quick)

Oct 16, 2008- Case pending ......

Update....

EAD Card production ordered ........ 12/03/2008

Ap approved...approval notice sent 12/03/2008

Ap arrives in mail... dated ..............12/12/2008

EAD approval mail sent ..................12/11/2008

EAD arrives in mail ........................12/15/2008

AOS Touched .................................01/12/2009

AOS card production ordered...........02/27/2009

ROC TIMELINE 2011.

Jan 1st 2011 mailed in I751

Feb 15th 2011 Biometric appointment

May 24th 2011 Petition Approved

May 25th 2011 Card production ordered

May 31st 2011 Card recieved

Timeline

Yes its faster when you go the k-1 way but you have conditions added like you must get married within 90days and then file papers fast afterwards but with the spousal visa k-3 he can come here and start work immediately, you dont have conditions on his visa and he doesnt need advanced parole to travel outside the usa like the k-1 visa does.

Ohhh, I see. He will then have to wait until we get married to be able to work here!!! Hmmm...something to think about. thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. :no:

With a K-3 he needs to apply for EAD, then SSN, then he can start work.

With a CR1 he will get the greencard and SSN a few weeks after entry. Then he can pretty much start working.

With a K-1, he can get the SSN, and if he manages to get the temporary EAD at POE, then he can start work immediately, but it is only valid for 90 days. Once you marry within the 90 days, there is no time limit to file AOS. Some people file immediately, others wait months. The only thing is that he would be restricted in work and travel.

Lois, I would highly suggest that you read the guides (tab at the top of the page) and the timelines and decide what is best for you and your fiance. I would also suggest you take a look at this thread where I keep track of the visa process for Sub-Saharan Africa, it may give you an idea of wait times: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...0&start=560

Good luck :)

Edited by ZeeNusah

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.