Kevin & Maria

1995 Domestic Abuse - HELP

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here we go... a little embarrassed...

Back in July, 1995, I was staying with a friend, and the ex-wife barged in. I was the one to call 911, and while defending myself, I scratched her as she proceeded to scratch, kick, and attack me out of outrage. We both ended up in jail for the night, because we both had marks.

Now it is on my record as a felony, and I'm worried about the I29F application.

I need some professional writers for me, or a good way to write this.

| 01001 ASSAULT

| RCW: 9A.36.000

| DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

| CLASS UNKNOWN

| STATUS DATE: 07/06/1995

Remember this was 1995...I'm a great person, and just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Philippines1049-1.jpg

honeyandbaby.jpg

Dec. 5, 2007 - Met on Cherry Blossoms

Dec. 13, 2007 - Officially on

Jan. 7, 2008 - He proposed online and I happily gave him my YES!

April 27, 2007 - He arrived in Manila; I picked him up at the airport.

May 14, 2008 - His departure. Saddest moment so far :'(

K1 Application Timeline

Oct. 22, 08 - I-129F Sent

Oct. 24, 08 - I-129F NOA1

Jan. 09, 09 - I-129F RFE(s), Court Seal & Stamp

Jan. 20, 09 - RFE Reply(s)

Jan. 22, 09 - I-129F NOA2 Approved

Feb. 13, 09 - NVC Received

March 26, 09 - Interview Date: APPROVED!!!

May 7, 09 - Arrival (Oregon, USA)

May 16, 09 - Wedding Day (Wohooo!)

Oct. 10, 09 - Green Card Received (Yeeheeyyy!)

DSCF2810-1.jpg

Kevin and Maria

Thank you, guys, for all the advice and help and for always being there for us. Such a great community of people!

If you haven't seen our video of our visa journey, please visit HERE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

As far as I know it's the criminal record of the foreign fiance that matters, not the US Citizen.

Edit: I remembered that there are issues where if the US Citizen is a sex offender they may not be able to file for any sort of family based Visa but that doesn't seem to be your case.

Edited by MichelleN

Timeline

Back in July, 1995, I was staying with a friend, and the ex-wife barged in. I was the one to call 911, and while defending myself, I scratched her as she proceeded to scratch, kick, and attack me out of outrage. We both ended up in jail for the night, because we both had marks.

| 01001 ASSAULT

| DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

| CLASS UNKNOWN

Remember this was 1995...I'm a great person, and just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

OK..here's another dumb question? Is Part C for the Petitioner in the US? or for the applicant? Me=USA Her=Philippines

Philippines1049-1.jpg

honeyandbaby.jpg

K1 Application Timeline

DSCF2810-1.jpg

Kevin and Maria

Thank you, guys, for all the advice and help and for always being there for us. Such a great community of people!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Unless it states otherwise, everything in the I-129F is in regards to you. Make sure you check out the example forms:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=examples

They're a big help and show you what to fill out when you're not even sure it applies to you. Part C, question 1 seems to be a real stickler for some people and often results in and RFE if not filled in correctly as indicated on the example form.

Must of been one huge and deep scratch to get a felony.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I do not think it's any of our business to judge what happened since we were not there.

To the OP, I believe you just need to supply the record of this event to the USCIS. Mostly so they can be assured your fiance knows all about it. See below...

14. In regards to Section C Question 2, if applicable provide certified copies of all court and police records showing the charges and dispositions for any specified conviction(s) (in accordance with the IMBRA). See section 9 of the I-129f instructions for more information.

in any case, i'm going to move this to the IMBRA forums so that those folks can help you out...

good luck

(mbk)

timeline.jpg

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

I would suggest tha there is more to the story to end up being convicted of a felony for domestic violence.

Usually it's a misdemeanor and they also give you a chance to take anger classes in lieu of a conviction.

You need an immigration lawyer for this if it falls under the John Walsh law, otherwise you have to disclose it, so that your fiancee can be offically notified.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Timeline

Kevin

This does not keep your petition from being approved.

I would not think you need a lawyer unless they send you an intent to deny letter. It will be up to the USICS, Department of State, Consular to decide. Under law you should not be denied.

Go to the courthouse and obtain a chronological timeline of the case. This contains everything from your arrest up until you plead guilty and recieved a sentence. Also you can get a police report on the case from the police or sheriffs department. You must send this information

Send this along with your petition. I would not try to hide a felony.

They want you to disclose this to your fiancee. They will give the report to your fiancee at the interview. Possibly???

I still dont understand this. If they do background checks they should find this. So why should we have to disclose anything.

Keep us informed. I would like to hear exactly how they handle this. We never get first hand information on this IMBRA #######.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I would suggest tha there is more to the story to end up being convicted of a felony for domestic violence.

Usually it's a misdemeanor and they also give you a chance to take anger classes in lieu of a conviction.

You need an immigration lawyer for this if it falls under the John Walsh law, otherwise you have to disclose it, so that your fiancee can be offically notified.

Adam Walsh Child Protection Act does not appear to apply because it relates to sex crimes and crimes against children... If there was an applicable law it would be some of the provisions contained in VAWA.

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It dosn't matter. He just answers yes in part C and supplies the applicable court record. It has no further impact on the visa process. No need for judgmental comments.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Sorry folks it was a misdemeanor.

Philippines1049-1.jpg

honeyandbaby.jpg

K1 Application Timeline

DSCF2810-1.jpg

Kevin and Maria

at my gilfriends interview, the CO told her about her fiance's past history with Domestic Violence. She had already known, but it was disclosed to her by the CO.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

at my gilfriends interview, the CO told her about her fiance's past history with Domestic Violence. She had already known, but it was disclosed to her by the CO.

Do you know if the information they provided her was disclosed by the petitioner?? Or was it information the US goverment found on their own and determined it to be DV and provided the information to the benificiary?

Edited by cyclops10

Timeline

Ok ok..back up! ERRRRRRRRRRRR! I called today. it was "simple assault" Misdemeanor this totally changes the question!!!! Sorry! I knew It was just a scratch!

| 01001 ASSAULT

| DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

| CLASS UNKNOWN

Ok ok..back up! ERRRRRRRRRRRR! I called today. it was "simple assault" Misdemeanor this totally changes the question!!!! Sorry! I knew It was just a scratch!

Philippines1049-1.jpg

honeyandbaby.jpg

K1 Application Timeline

DSCF2810-1.jpg

Kevin and Maria

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

| 01001 ASSAULT

| DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

| CLASS UNKNOWN

The answer remains the same. You just answer yes on the I-129F and provide the required court records.

The judgmental comments are out of line either way.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.