one...two...tree

Palin facing new accusations as US campaign grows negative

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

by Jitendra Joshi

CHICAGO (AFP) - Republican vice presidential pick Sarah Palin faced accusations Sunday of handing jobs to friends while serving as Alaska state governor, as the presidential campaign grew increasingly negative.

The New York Times reported that Palin had given the 95,000-dollar-a-year directorship of the state division of agriculture to a high school classmate, Franci Havemeister, who cited her childhood love of cows as a qualification for running the agency. :rofl:

Havemeister was one of at least five schoolmates Palin hired, often at salaries far exceeding their private sector wages, the paper noted in an investigative report.

"Throughout her political career, she has pursued vendettas, fired officials who crossed her and sometimes blurred the line between government and personal grievance, according to a review of public records and interviews with 60 Republican and Democratic legislators and local officials," The Times wrote.

The paper said that its investigation had shown that in Alaska, Palin was running an administration that "puts a premium on loyalty and secrecy."

(that sure sounds familiar.....cough...Bush)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080914/pl_afp/usvote

Edited by Jabberwocky

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

lol @ her friends love of cows, this woman is clearly insane

this is in the ny times article..

"Rick Steiner, a University of Alaska professor, sought the e-mail messages of state scientists who had examined the effect of global warming on polar bears. (Ms. Palin said the scientists had found no ill effects, and she has sued the federal government to block the listing of the bears as endangered.) An administration official told Mr. Steiner that his request would cost $468,784 to process.

When Mr. Steiner finally obtained the e-mail messages — through a federal records request — he discovered that state scientists had in fact agreed that the bears were in danger, records show.

“Their secrecy is off the charts,” Mr. Steiner said."

how exactly is she going to get away with this?

Breaking News........... Palin killed JFK............. EOM

Edited by LuckyStrike

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
lol @ her friends love of cows, this woman is clearly insane

this is in the ny times article..

"Rick Steiner, a University of Alaska professor, sought the e-mail messages of state scientists who had examined the effect of global warming on polar bears. (Ms. Palin said the scientists had found no ill effects, and she has sued the federal government to block the listing of the bears as endangered.) An administration official told Mr. Steiner that his request would cost $468,784 to process.

When Mr. Steiner finally obtained the e-mail messages — through a federal records request — he discovered that state scientists had in fact agreed that the bears were in danger, records show.

"Their secrecy is off the charts," Mr. Steiner said."

how exactly is she going to get away with this?

She won't....McCain won't. It's becoming increasingly obvious to most Americans that his choice was cynical and not a wise one.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Welcome to politics in America.

I wish people were this scrutinizing over every candidate.

Or not, who knows, people are still gonna vote for the ######.

If people were this scrutinizing over every candidate, you would never find anyone willing, or capable, of running for office. It still amazes me that this is the GOP's No.2 getting all this attention. What happened to presidential candidates bearing the brunt of it all? Or are the Democrats scared they can't find enough on McCain, or anyone adept enough to express what they have got without causing a furore?

As for scrutiny, Obama's past connections and business dealings, McCain's temper and "with-it"-ness, Biden's invisibility and Palin's unknown-ness, would realistically prevent them all from running for office. And that's just this crop. Don't get me started on past elections.

P

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

If people were this scrutinizing over every candidate, you would never find anyone willing, or capable, of running for office. It still amazes me that this is the GOP's No.2 getting all this attention. What happened to presidential candidates bearing the brunt of it all? Or are the Democrats scared they can't find enough on McCain, or anyone adept enough to express what they have got without causing a furore?

As for scrutiny, Obama's past connections and business dealings, McCain's temper and "with-it"-ness, Biden's invisibility and Palin's unknown-ness, would realistically prevent them all from running for office. And that's just this crop. Don't get me started on past elections.

P

The media was all over Hillary vs. Obama as well. Not to mention the disappointment of Hillary voters over her not getting the Democratic nod. That controversy made headlines quite substantially.

Palin is in the spotlight for very, very obvious reasons.

1. She's a woman, a rarity for VP picks.

2. Politicians get extensive scrutiny about stupid things.

3. She's a highly controversial choice.

As you know the media feeds on sensationalism. What's a better story than a controversial pick to bring people to read your news articles?

About being scared, I think the only thing people might be scared of is her extremism and the results of it with her being in a position to make decisions for every citizen here. No idea what else they would be scared of.

Edited by SRVT

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

P

The media was all over Hillary vs. Obama as well. Not to mention the disappointment of Hillary voters over her not getting the Democratic nod. That controversy made headlines quite substantially.

Palin is in the spotlight for very, very obvious reasons.

1. She's a woman, a rarity for VP picks.

2. Politicians get extensive scrutiny about stupid things.

3. She's a highly controversial choice.

As you know the media feeds on sensationalism. What's a better story than a controversial pick to bring people to read your news articles?

About being scared, I think the only thing people might be scared of is her extremism and the results of it with her being in a position to make decisions for every citizen here. No idea what else they would be scared of.

The Democratic Party and it's supporters are not scared of her as a person, but for what she represents - and that is a viable McCain ticket for the GOP. As opposed to a McCain - Lieberman ticket, as was mooted when he was still searching, which wouldn't have scared the Democrats one iota, as a large number of Republican supporters wouldn't have voted for on the grounds that there wasn't much to differentiate that ticket from the Democrats anyway.

P

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline
The Democratic Party and it's supporters are not scared of her as a person, but for what she represents - and that is a viable McCain ticket for the GOP. As opposed to a McCain - Lieberman ticket, as was mooted when he was still searching, which wouldn't have scared the Democrats one iota, as a large number of Republican supporters wouldn't have voted for on the grounds that there wasn't much to differentiate that ticket from the Democrats anyway.

People are less afraid of Lieberman because most Democrats know Lieberman caucuses with the Democrats, even if he's a closet Democrat, being more Republican than he should be. Lieberman was also on the Gore ticket in 2000. Not many are aware of just how clandestine some of his views are.

There's nothing to be worried about there, for most Democrats. I'd be highly critical of Lieberman too because the guy is staunchly pro war, highly pro censorship. The ####### wants to ban violent movies and violent video games even for ADULTS. This is the kind of ####### the moral police in the UK and Australia do. However, Palin is, again, highly controversial in her views, and the media does a great job in turning something controversial into something of enormous proportions. Of course, Democrats are feeding on that because of the attention she's getting due to those controversial views. The same would have happened it if was, for instance, Kay Bailey Hutchison.

It has nothing to do with viability. The GOP are going to vote GOP anyways.

Edited by SRVT

Come on, the media is in love with Obama. They ripped Hillary at every opportunity and they are doing the same to McCain and Palin. Palin obviously wasn't chosen for her experience. Neither was Obama. She was chosen to do what is happening here. Create a stir. Get people to pay attention to McCain. Freshen his campaign and the Republican's chances. This election is the Democrat's to lose. After 8 years of Bush, I find it hard to believe a Republican has a chance to win. So, McCain rolled the dice. So far it is working, will it be enough in November, we'll find out. If Powell was willing to run, that would have probably been the Republican's best ticket. That was never going to happen, so they had to think outside the box.

If anything, Palin has gotten people interested in the election again, for better or worse. She is actually like one of us. A person with a family all the issues that go with it. There are going to be a lot of voters that like it. For some odd reason, she has brought fear into the Obama campaign and his supporters. Remember when Ross Perot ran, and he picked the ex POW James Stockdale to be his running mate? Why wasn't he ripped apart in the media? Because Perot had no chance of winning the election and he didn't pose a threat. Palin is a threat in that she may actually increase McCain's chances of winning. The Obama worshipping media is having a feeding frezy to tear her apart. Why? Because she may actually turn this into a race.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015