mark n jess

bringing kids to us

14 posts in this topic

ok i filed a fiance visa for my now wife.she has been here for 9 months.she has her green card and is working.we want to bring her son here.yes i did include him with the fiance visa.it says he can follow within a year.but i cant find eny thing on how to do it what we need to do.can someone help please!! he is 16 and is her leagal son. thanx

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
ok i filed a fiance visa for my now wife.she has been here for 9 months.she has her green card and is working.we want to bring her son here.yes i did include him with the fiance visa.it says he can follow within a year.but i cant find eny thing on how to do it what we need to do.can someone help please!! he is 16 and is her leagal son. thanx

Rin's chidren followed six months after her (although it was K3/K4, not K1/K2). I sent the embassy an email and they sent out a Packet 3 to the address I requested in the email (where the children were staying). As Rin and I were travelling to Bangkok in early September, I requested an interview before the end of October. They accomodated my request.

So basically, send the info needed to the embassy to prompt an interview to be scheduled. Also, contact the embassy via e-mail or telephone and request a packet 3 for you stepson.

Goodluck,

John

Edit - noted you are in the Philippines. You might want to post in the Philippine forum. Seems the requirement for getting a visa for a minor in the Philippines is more involved. In Thailand, Rin had to go to the local government office and sign a form saying she was alone in taking care of the children. She took two witnesses with her to attest to the fact. Could have been anyone. Some countries require a release from the other parent.

Edited by rin and john

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The K-2 Visa must be issued within one year of the K-1 Visa. I got my K-1 visa on June 10/04 and my daughter got her K-2 visa on May 26/05.... so we just made it within 2 weeks!!!!

If the one year time limit has passed, then you must use form I-130 to petition him to come to the U.S.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

If he attended the interview with moms and had his St. Lukes medical it's a piece of cake.!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

I was under the impression that all would be taken care of if the child was listed on the I-129F?? Does that not mean its as simple as that? When my K1 is issued will I not automatically get something for my daughter to travel with me for the wedding? Now i'm worried!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I was under the impression that all would be taken care of if the child was listed on the I-129F?? Does that not mean its as simple as that? When my K1 is issued will I not automatically get something for my daughter to travel with me for the wedding? Now i'm worried!!

I am not sure what you want for travel documents, but nothing happens unless you or her apply for it

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
thanx for the info guys.

time is of the essence for you. the k2 visa must be issued within a year of your fiance's visa and that follow to join process is the same (send in packet 3, get the medical, maybe do custody stuff, and have the interview) as your wife's k1 process, but you get to start at the packet 3 point. i'd start filling out the packet 3 documents, just as you did for your fiance, and i'd write the embassy for instructions on what exactly you should do. this way, you can get ahead of it a little bit.

hope this makes sense.

good luck,

dvd

Edited by dvddvd

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Children need their own P3 and P4. If a P3 doesn't come for your daughter when yours come, just request it from the Consulate. From P3 forward the process for K1 and K2 is virtually identical except they're unlikely to ask much of your daughter in an interview. She'll need her own passport and visa.

The OP is asking about a "follow to join" where the K2 doesn't have a visa yet.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thanks, so all the relevent paperwork is to come. I was unaware my daughter had to come for an interview too....are they usually scheduled on the same day? I'm learning so much on here!!

thanx for the info guys.

time is of the essence for you. the k2 visa must be issued within a year of your fiance's visa and that follow to join process is the same (send in packet 3, get the medical, maybe do custody stuff, and have the interview) as your wife's k1 process, but you get to start at the packet 3 point. i'd start filling out the packet 3 documents, just as you did for your fiance, and i'd write the embassy for instructions on what exactly you should do. this way, you can get ahead of it a little bit.

hope this makes sense.

good luck,

dvd

yes, time is of the essence. there is no packet 3 for Manila. all DS forms are submitted at the interview. The OP needs to contact the Embassy to schedule an interview, if there is enough time left to do so. he posted his wife has been here 9 months, not when her K-1 visa was issued.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Thanks, so all the relevent paperwork is to come. I was unaware my daughter had to come for an interview too....are they usually scheduled on the same day? I'm learning so much on here!!

Whether she needs to come to the interview depends on her age. I don't recall the age at which it is required. At the conclusion of a successful interview, the passports are needed so the visas can be inserted. Unless the daughter needs a babysitter, I'd bring her, her passport, P4 paperwork and medical results.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If required to attend you will attend JOINTLY. For many consulates the age of required appearance is 14.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.