rinkie

A pinch of hope to survive and live together with my husband

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am an Indian citizen married to a US citizen, currently living in Hyderabad. My hubby applied for a K-3 visa petition in the month of July, 08'. The NVC has forwarded the case to US Consulate in India (Chennai) and i have finally received my interview date which is on 14th of October, 08'. We are excited, not happy, just excited and nervous because we had earlier applied for a K-1 (Fiance) Visa which got denied because we sent pictures of a Hindu Religious Marriage ceremony saying that "We couldn't register our marriage, since we couldnt get a Marriage Certificate and hence applying for a K-1". The Consular Officer denied saying that the pictures show us getting married in a religious ceremony and that my husband should file for a K-3 for me and not K-1. He denied saying that we filed for a wrong visa! Starting from there, all the days were of trauma, sadness, depression and frustration. We couldnt apply for K-3 earlier because we didn't have a marriage certificate. The Government Offices in India (Hyderabad esp- where i stay) are corrupted and when we went to register our marriage they asked for a bribe of 1.5 lakh rupees (around $3,330) and then only they'd register our marriage (since my husband is a Caucasian white and ppl here tend to take a huge amount of money from foreign nationals as bribes). We were devastated and angry, we couldn't do anything and hence we had to give up and my husband and i went in for a K-1 visa.

My K-1 interview was in April 2008. After the visa got denied, my hubby took a leave and came to india in April and we got our marriage registered by the first week of June, which was not easy. This time we went to the Registrar's office with one of our relative, who is an Advocate himself. We filled the application and submitted it which is like a 1 month's notice period and after that we have to appear in front on the registrar with three witnesses within 90 days after the notice period ends. My husband, i and my father went to the office after the notice period ended and the registrar said "i will not register your marriage" - which clearly meant he wanted a bribe. My father asked him directly, how much money he wanted, he said atleast 1 lakh. We argued with him saying as citizens we have the right to get the services of the Govt, and they cannot keep asking for bribes like this. The Officer was shameless, he didnt say anything. We came back home and the next day we went to the Registrar with the Advocate and with a few media people from the Press. My dad, advocate and the media guys stormed into the registrar's office and scared the hell out of the officer, and he finally registered the marriage, we got our marriage certificate! A series of unfortunate events, however, things turned to be well finally.

My hubby went back to the US by the end of 1st week of June, applied for a K-3 petition in July, and finally i received my interview date which is on 14th October! But still, the reasons for being scared and nervous are more than happiness and we have kept our fingers crossed. My hubby and i have been apart for so long that its getting depressing!

We don't know if there are couples who have faced the problem of getting the K-1 denied and who have then applied for a K-3. If there is anyone here who has faced the same problem or who knows someone who has ever faced the same problem then please do let me know. it would give us confidence that we are not the only one who have been denied a K-1 and had to re-apply again for another and that there are people who do get denied sometimes becos of some reasons, which can be a small reason or a big reason.

And if possible, please pray for us, becos i cant and i dont want to live without my husband anymore if the K-3 gets denied again for any reason, God forbid. I will die without him. It's the worst thing that can happen to couples, who love each other so much and want to spend life together and i hope and pray to God that no one should ever face such problems in life. :huh:

Edited by rinkie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi, my experiences were very different from yours, so even though I can't relate to them, I feel your pain and nervousness. I am very sorry that you had to suffer so much to be with your husband and you couldn't go smoothly with the process like many of us. It is so unfair and such a disgrace that you were denied basic right to be with the person you love and had to endure corruption and heartache. I hope you can come to US soon and be with your husband and lead a happy life together. Stay strong, keep positive, it will be alright. Take care.

~*Niki & Ryan*~

K1:

Nov 13, 2004 - I-129F sent to CSC

Mar 09, 2005 - Interview at the Warsaw Embassy

total time: 114 days

AOS:

Sep 02, 2005 - AOS/EAD packet sent to Chicago

Nov 19, 2005 - AOS/EAD biometrics done

Nov 28, 2005 - EAD card in the mail

Mar 20, 2006 - interview

Mar 29, 2006 - Permanent Resident Card arrived in the mail

total time: 197 days

joint I-751:

Feb 11, 2008 - I-751 sent to NSC

Mar 12, 2008 - biometrics done

Jul 28, 2008 - I-751 approved

Aug 04, 2008 - 10-year GC arrived in the mail

total time: 158 days

detailed timeline in my profile

.png

oMDEm6.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hang in there.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Hi, my experiences were very different from yours, so even though I can't relate to them, I feel your pain and nervousness. I am very sorry that you had to suffer so much to be with your husband and you couldn't go smoothly with the process like many of us. It is so unfair and such a disgrace that you were denied basic right to be with the person you love and had to endure corruption and heartache. I hope you can come to US soon and be with your husband and lead a happy life together. Stay strong, keep positive, it will be alright. Take care.

Thanks pilot's girl... Thanks for your kind words... :)

Hang in there.

OH Yes! :yes::)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hang in there.

Hi! I have a friend who had the same experience as you. Her and her husband were married yet they filed for a K-1 visa which is only intended for Fiance/fiancee. The american embassy denied them and said it was the wrong visa and told them to file for K-3 instead. They filed and it went thru smoothly.

Im sure yours will be the same too. Dont loose hope. Be positive always.

I myself have a K-3 visa and everything went perfect. We filed the papers end of may and a got my visa middle of october. Goodluck!

March '05 - met George online thru common friend

March '06 - He went to visit me in the PI first time

May '06 - He came back for the family reunion and proposed for marriage

Nov. '06 - came back to prepare for our wedding

Dec 16, '06 - Wedding Day!

took at least 6 or 7 months (as i remember) for the K3 and was approved!

Nov '07 - I arrived in the US

together again with my gwapo, lol

April 9 - mailed in AOS package

April 13 - NOA for EAD and AOS

April 22 - Biometrics Appointment and will be on May 7 in Jamaica

May 7 - Biometrics done!

May 14 - Got an RFE dated may 9 - joint sponsor :-(

June 5 - they received our reply to the RFE

June 10 - EAD card production ordered, YAYYYYY Thank u, God!

June 21 - EAD card received in mail.

...and the waiting continues for the interview date...... will update later

so i got my interview date, and guess when??

Sept 10 - yaayyyy and its my hubby's Birthday! Approval would be a GREAT bday gift.

Sept 10 - got APPROVED! Indeed its a GREAT Birthday gift! " Card production Ordered" Yayyy

Sept 18 - Welcome Letter received!

Sept 19 - Green Card in hand!

Timeline

Hang in there.

Hi! I have a friend who had the same experience as you. Her and her husband were married yet they filed for a K-1 visa which is only intended for Fiance/fiancee. The american embassy denied them and said it was the wrong visa and told them to file for K-3 instead. They filed and it went thru smoothly.

Im sure yours will be the same too. Dont loose hope. Be positive always.

I myself have a K-3 visa and everything went perfect. We filed the papers end of may and a got my visa middle of october. Goodluck!

Thanks ailyn... My hopes seem to be intact by atleast knowing that it might go through smoothly... :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Wow, 1.5 lac rupees to sign a piece of paper. I am sorry you had to go through this. My husband is too caucasian and we had an Arya samaj wedding, we must have only spent a maximum of 10,000 rupees for the whole ceremony, paying lawyer and everything involved.

Stay positive and be confident. You guys didn't do any harm, I am sure the k-1 issue will be asked during the interview but you also have a very good backup of your husband staying in India for 3 months.

Best of luck :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have to drink water before i have to reply, i am speechless and sorry. Although i have never experience what you have been through but i feel you. My eyes are actually watery right now because there is no easy way to feel when you are away with your better half.

I hate corruption and bribery too, hearing those scenario is not new to me but i still feel sick to my stomach. What a bunch of an ### they are. But oh well ...

I understand how frustrating this is for both of you at this point of time. This whole process indeed is an emotional torture, But hey God is there, YOUR God our GOD is their for you. Just dont lose hope, He never refused to any of our prayers. Thats what my fiance taught me. Again, God never refuse to any of our prayers, its just that "there is always a right time for everything " . You will be with your husband soon, That big guy from up above sees how you both struggle and remain strong despite of the odds you been through ... You both will have your time. Just hang on and don't ever stop praying .. Push praying until something happen... Dont worry i will include you in my prayers too ..

I am an Indian citizen married to a US citizen, currently living in Hyderabad. My hubby applied for a K-3 visa petition in the month of July, 08'. The NVC has forwarded the case to US Consulate in India (Chennai) and i have finally received my interview date which is on 14th of October, 08'. We are excited, not happy, just excited and nervous because we had earlier applied for a K-1 (Fiance) Visa which got denied because we sent pictures of a Hindu Religious Marriage ceremony saying that "We couldn't register our marriage, since we couldnt get a Marriage Certificate and hence applying for a K-1". The Consular Officer denied saying that the pictures show us getting married in a religious ceremony and that my husband should file for a K-3 for me and not K-1. He denied saying that we filed for a wrong visa! Starting from there, all the days were of trauma, sadness, depression and frustration. We couldnt apply for K-3 earlier because we didn't have a marriage certificate. The Government Offices in India (Hyderabad esp- where i stay) are corrupted and when we went to register our marriage they asked for a bribe of 1.5 lakh rupees (around $3,330) and then only they'd register our marriage (since my husband is a Caucasian white and ppl here tend to take a huge amount of money from foreign nationals as bribes). We were devastated and angry, we couldn't do anything and hence we had to give up and my husband and i went in for a K-1 visa.

My K-1 interview was in April 2008. After the visa got denied, my hubby took a leave and came to india in April and we got our marriage registered by the first week of June, which was not easy. This time we went to the Registrar's office with one of our relative, who is an Advocate himself. We filled the application and submitted it which is like a 1 month's notice period and after that we have to appear in front on the registrar with three witnesses within 90 days after the notice period ends. My husband, i and my father went to the office after the notice period ended and the registrar said "i will not register your marriage" - which clearly meant he wanted a bribe. My father asked him directly, how much money he wanted, he said atleast 1 lakh. We argued with him saying as citizens we have the right to get the services of the Govt, and they cannot keep asking for bribes like this. The Officer was shameless, he didnt say anything. We came back home and the next day we went to the Registrar with the Advocate and with a few media people from the Press. My dad, advocate and the media guys stormed into the registrar's office and scared the hell out of the officer, and he finally registered the marriage, we got our marriage certificate! A series of unfortunate events, however, things turned to be well finally.

My hubby went back to the US by the end of 1st week of June, applied for a K-3 petition in July, and finally i received my interview date which is on 14th October! But still, the reasons for being scared and nervous are more than happiness and we have kept our fingers crossed. My hubby and i have been apart for so long that its getting depressing!

We don't know if there are couples who have faced the problem of getting the K-1 denied and who have then applied for a K-3. If there is anyone here who has faced the same problem or who knows someone who has ever faced the same problem then please do let me know. it would give us confidence that we are not the only one who have been denied a K-1 and had to re-apply again for another and that there are people who do get denied sometimes becos of some reasons, which can be a small reason or a big reason.

And if possible, please pray for us, becos i cant and i dont want to live without my husband anymore if the K-3 gets denied again for any reason, God forbid. I will die without him. It's the worst thing that can happen to couples, who love each other so much and want to spend life together and i hope and pray to God that no one should ever face such problems in life. :huh:

HubbyWife.jpg

Our Timeline:

Feb 19 2008 - sent I - 129 F application (California Service Center) K1 Application

Feb 22 2008 - CSC returned application re: check lost ( actually when he changed new envelope, the check was left in the old envelope :P)

Feb 23 2008 - re sent I 129 application

March 6 2008 - NOA1 by Postal Mail

July 23 2008 - Touched and Petition Approved / sent to NVC

Aug 19 & 20 - Medical Tests @ St Lukes Extension Clinic - PASSED!!!

Aug 26 - Visa Interview ..... PINK SLIP oh GOD thank you so much!

Sept 2 - VISA Packet Delivered !!!

Sept 26 - Cebu - Manila - (POE) San Francisco - St Paul/ Minneapolis, Minnesota

Nov 15 - Our Wedding Day!

-------------

AOS ...

Timeline

I have to drink water before i have to reply, i am speechless and sorry. Although i have never experience what you have been through but i feel you. My eyes are actually watery right now because there is no easy way to feel when you are away with your better half.

I hate corruption and bribery too, hearing those scenario is not new to me but i still feel sick to my stomach. What a bunch of an ### they are. But oh well ...

I understand how frustrating this is for both of you at this point of time. This whole process indeed is an emotional torture, But hey God is there, YOUR God our GOD is their for you. Just dont lose hope, He never refused to any of our prayers. Thats what my fiance taught me. Again, God never refuse to any of our prayers, its just that "there is always a right time for everything " . You will be with your husband soon, That big guy from up above sees how you both struggle and remain strong despite of the odds you been through ... You both will have your time. Just hang on and don't ever stop praying .. Push praying until something happen... Dont worry i will include you in my prayers too ..

(L) Thank You so Much :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.