noone

USCIS is too fast! For the first time

18 posts in this topic

I never got my biometrics appointment so I called to see what was going on. After I talked to immigration officer I found out that I have an interview, scheduled a day before I reach full three years of permanent residency. WOW! Not only that I can't believe they processed the case super fast, but I can't believe that I wont be able to get through the interview/oath that day because I will be one day short of full 3 years! What should I do: Reschedule? InfoPass? Or just go and see what happens? Anybody else had a similar experience?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I never got my biometrics appointment so I called to see what was going on. After I talked to immigration officer I found out that I have an interview, scheduled a day before I reach full three years of permanent residency. WOW! Not only that I can't believe they processed the case super fast, but I can't believe that I wont be able to get through the interview/oath that day because I will be one day short of full 3 years! What should I do: Reschedule? InfoPass? Or just go and see what happens? Anybody else had a similar experience?

Nope it's quite common to have your interview before your anniversery. Mine was 1 week before my official GC anniversery and after I passed the interview I was just told that since I'm a week early I'd have to wait for the oath letter in the mail as they could not do the same day oath with me. That's all.

You'll be getting the biometrics letter probably after the interview date and then they'll decide from there if you qualify for the oath. Nothing unusual...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Don't worry about that.

If you have fingerprint done by USCIS within last 16 months or so, they will not do it again, and will use previous result.

Interview is interview...

If you are passed interview and tests, they will schedule naturalization oath ceremony after your anniversary date.

Also, if they don't have fingerprint and/or FBI namecheck result that they can use, they will delay oath ceremony after they have all information for review.

You have to trust your "new" government. ^^

They won't give you "certificate of Naturalization" before your allowed time comes.

I wish Charlotte DO had that "problem"! :)

Edited by eau_xplain

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Timeline

Don't worry about that.

If you have fingerprint done by USCIS within last 16 months or so, they will not do it again, and will use previous result.

Hi Moonhunt,

Are you sure? This is the first time I read about this. I see in some users record that they have gone to the Biometrics although they had done it less than a year ago. Can you show me a good source for this information?, because I am also waiting for my Biometrics letter. :hehe:

Edited by sami76

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yeah, why do they keep making my hubby go in for biometrics the whole time.

I keep thinking they must go do it again to match it all up in their computer system.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Don't worry about that.

Hi Moonhunt,

Are you sure? This is the first time I read about this. I see in some users record that they have gone to the Biometrics although they had done it less than a year ago. Can you show me a good source for this information?, because I am also waiting for my Biometrics letter. :hehe:

While I cannot refer you to anything in writing, I live next door to an USCIS officer. We submitted our application about 10 months after getting biometrics for the 751 application. We received no biometrics notice for 6 month after submitting the N-400. The officer told me that biometrics are good for 16 months and if the USCIS was super fast with our N-400 and it was completed prior to the 16 months, we wouldn't have had to get it again.

Marilyn and Peter.

K-1 Timeline in Profile (our story)

Church wedding Sept 18

NOA1's for AOS/EAD received Sept 20 MSC #

Biometrics completed Nov 5 2004

EAD Approval Dec 29 2004

AOS appointment letter received Feb 3 2005

AOS interview scheduled for March 9 2005

AOS interview mostly fine, just need I-693 supplement filled out by civil surgeon

Spend another $40 for I-693 form, sent to local USCIS office registered mail, arrived March 11 2005

AOS finally approved March 25th 2005

Green card arrives about 10 days later

!!Green card has incorrect middle name!! Thanks USCIS

Travel back to Denver, turn in card and I-90 to correct their mistake.

Application accepted, asked for I-551 stamp, they told me "We don't do stamps anymore"

NOA1 for I-90 received from NSC April 18 2005, fee waived

NSC appears to have stoped processing I-90's

Marilyn needs to travel back to the RP, call Senators office for help with green card or I-551 stamp

Travel back to Denver July 1, 2005 and received I-551 stamp in the passport.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I just wonder and don't know that I can ask the question here. I have a lot of photos (with my husband)saved in my computer. Do I really need them to attach with my N-400 application, the same way I did with I-751? I have 2 months to go for N-400.

I just wonder and don't know that I can ask the question here. I have a lot of photos (with my husband)saved in my computer. Do I really need them to attach with my N-400 application, the same way I did with I-751? I have 2 months to go for N-400.

You don't need to attach those to N400 application.

But you may want to bring those when you go to interview.

Most of interview officer doesn't look at the case file until interview date comes in.

But you may want to arm yourself with all of proofs and evidences when you go to interview.

Don't worry about that.

Hi Moonhunt,

I can not check the source of this info, but when I talked to a couple of people, some people didn't receive biometric appointment because they did in within 16 months window.

They had no problem with process at all.

Thanks your input guys. I guess I can just go by the rules. I actually called them about the biometrics and was told that they will put in the service request for me if the biometrics are needed. I just want to make sure I get them over with before the interview, so I have only oath waiting. I was thinking about the 16 (15) months expiration but wanted to be on the safe side. I hope the immigration officer will say: Come back tomorrow for you oath... At least I can dream, lol

Filed: Timeline

You don't need to attach those to N400 application.

But you may want to bring those when you go to interview.

Most of interview officer doesn't look at the case file until interview date comes in.

But you may want to arm yourself with all of proofs and evidences when you go to interview.

Don't worry about that.

Hi Moonhunt,

I can not check the source of this info, but when I talked to a couple of people, some people didn't receive biometric appointment because they did in within 16 months window.

They had no problem with process at all.

----------------------------------------------------

Well, I received My Biometric letter. My previous biometrics was less than a year ago. So, I think you should expect to get the biometrics appointment letter even if your previous one was less than 16 months ago. Perhaps they decide to ignore it for some ,but it is not their routine.

Well, I received My Biometric letter. My previous biometrics was less than a year ago. So, I think you should expect to get the biometrics appointment letter even if your previous one was less than 16 months ago. Perhaps they decide to ignore it for some ,but it is not their routine.

It's not specific to all case, but I found this from USCIS.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/FprntChks051303.pdf

It seems that fingerprint result validity is set by FBI, and it is 15 months, not 16 months.

Also this fingerprint validity issue was discussed from various forums already, and confirmed by many people.

But you never know.

A lot of USCIS employee doesn't know their own rule sometimes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It's not specific to all case, but I found this from USCIS.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/FprntChks051303.pdf

It seems that fingerprint result validity is set by FBI, and it is 15 months, not 16 months.

Also this fingerprint validity issue was discussed from various forums already, and confirmed by many people.

But you never know.

A lot of USCIS employee doesn't know their own rule sometimes.

Believe the chief determining factor for having your fingerprints retaken again is the distance you live to the nearest field office. If you live over 200 miles away, you have to have your fingerprints retaken, live across the street, then they use your old ones. It was exactly eleven months for us between the I-751 and the N-400 biometrics trip. Asked the USCIS officer in charge why we had to make this trip again, he said, don't ask me, I just work here. What, no passport photo? You have to supply those.

Somewhere on the USCIS is a *.pfd file on a congressional hearing with Emilio, the last guy in charge of the USCIS as to why he is still charging 80 bucks for just the prints. Expenses was his reply, it cost a lot of money to store and retrieve that data. Really don't know how large a fingerprint file is, has to be less than a MB, ha, will be happy to store that on my computer for that kind of money and even burn it for them on a couple of CD's. Course it won't be authentic just like a notarized copy of your certificate is not authentic.

Just pointing out that Emilio and congress is aware that they are reusing your last batch of fingerprints, but they didn't mention how long they are going back and you are paying 80 bucks for someone to retrieve them from their database.

Then why the fingerprints for the N-400? Could clearly see them on my wife's green card, cute, but nowhere on the certificate of citizenship piece of paper, since I designed nanometer sized integrated circuits, do have the equipment to closely examine every square nanometer of that piece of paper, WHERE ARE THE PRINTS we drove 440 miles to get them taken for the third time?? So exactly why did they make us travel that long distance for another set of prints that we don't even see? Did see the photo we were required to send in, but no fingerprints.

So did we pay 80 bucks for a third set a prints they are going to store for 15 months and not even use?

Does this make sense?

But don't ask me, I JUST DO WHAT I AM TOLD TO DO BY A PERSON THAT DOESN'T KNOW, AS HE JUST WORKS THERE!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you dont mind me asking noone, when did you apply for your N400?, and when will you be going to your interview? It gives me some sort of idea since I will be applying soon.

Thanks

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.