Peterspeak

Documentary proof of having met in person in the past two years

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Here is a copy of a letter I will attach to a I-129F petition We only started researching this K-1 visa process last week, but would like to send off the package to CIS by Sept. 10, 2008:

I have remained in South Korea continuously from the time my fiancé and I first became acquainted in November of 2006, and therefore, feel our situation is unique. I have included copies of my passport stamps that prove I have been in South Korea since November 2006. They were processed at the immigration office in city of Gwangju, where I have been a resident since my arrival.

Instead of providing evidence that we have met each other in the past two years, I have provided evidence of how we became acquainted. We were both employed by the same employer at the same location at the same time. Copies of our Korean bank passbooks, with the records of deposits from the same employer are a kind of paycheck receipt.

The evidence that we have continued our relationship is that we have lived together in Gwangju, South Korea since April of 2008. I included copies of a telephone bill that includes both our names on the address of the apartment we share.

Since all of our evidence that we know each other is in Korean, we have had to translate it into English

Is it necessary to translate copies of bank passbooks, telephone bills, etc? If so, can you advise the appropriate way to do this? If possible, post a scanned example of this and post it at the gallery. Thank you.

Woof woof... wanna play?[/color

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So like, what, you actually LIVE with your fiance? I'd say that's evidence enough that you've met. They basicly want to make sure that you have actually met, physicly.. been in the presence of one another. In other words, didn't meet in a chatroom last week and decided to elope to vegas on a whim, if you'll excuse the metaphor. Show pictures of the two of you together, that will help.

Personally i showed credit card transactions that were done in texas to show that i indeed WAS there, pictures, plane tickets, car rental receipt, hotel receipt, and passport stamps.

°»UnstrungLeSin«°

You have to show proof you physically met in the last 2 years..if not your petition will be sent back to you and denied... I wrote a timeline story from how we met, where he lived, where I lived, important dates when we said we were a couple, dates when we had "anniversary celebrations", we were together for 3 years prior to meeting in person. Told that we chatted everyday via Yahoo messenger so we knew each other faces even before meeting in person. Told story when we first got our "snail mail" cards, Xmas greeting cards, birthday cards, annivesary cards... Story of how we physically met, date of when we met, how my fiance met my family and how he stayed at our home for his 2 week vacation. How we spent a special vacation together..and how he proposed to get married. Told even how Mama wanted assurance that we will get married, (told her in front of family, Aunt, Uncle, bros and sister). Told date of when he left, plans of where we will live once we get married. Dates are very important. Do not be vague so your petition will be genuine... Get some copies of phone bills with your numbers attached, snail mail envelopes if you sent them, photos together meeting...

So like, what, you actually LIVE with your fiance? I'd say that's evidence enough that you've met. They basicly want to make sure that you have actually met, physicly.. been in the presence of one another. In other words, didn't meet in a chatroom last week and decided to elope to vegas on a whim, if you'll excuse the metaphor. Show pictures of the two of you together, that will help.

Personally i showed credit card transactions that were done in texas to show that i indeed WAS there, pictures, plane tickets, car rental receipt, hotel receipt, and passport stamps.

We are both in our mid thirties, living together in Korean apartment. We want to move to U.S., so we decided K-1 visa was our best option. A very normal situation. However we seem to be lacking any of this normal kind of evidence. We dont stay in hotels, we we don't fly anywhere. Anyways, all these documents are in Korean, and would supposedly require a certified translation. Of course we are sending along several photos of us together. Even one with both our parents being introduced.

But, Do the photos have to include certifiable dates an locations on them? And why do some posts insist that this photo evidence is weak, and we need to have documents?

Thanks for the concern. :crying:

Hello. Thanks for your concern.

I will include a one page story that includes the dates of our meeting at work, first date, and eventually moving in together, a year and a half later. The photos I will include are quite persuasive.

I want to include the phone bill that lists both our names, but it's in Korea language, which is a completely different alphabet from English. We can translate the relavent portions, or we can try to translate the entire phone bill. Same with bank passbook with transactions. Translating an entire phone bill seems like a real pain in the ###, and I'd like to get clarification if that's necessary.

We are just trying to prove that we've met. That should be simple, right?

:crying:

You have to show proof you physically met in the last 2 years..if not your petition will be sent back to you and denied... I wrote a timeline story from how we met, where he lived, where I lived, important dates when we said we were a couple, dates when we had "anniversary celebrations", we were together for 3 years prior to meeting in person. Told that we chatted everyday via Yahoo messenger so we knew each other faces even before meeting in person. Told story when we first got our "snail mail" cards, Xmas greeting cards, birthday cards, annivesary cards... Story of how we physically met, date of when we met, how my fiance met my family and how he stayed at our home for his 2 week vacation. How we spent a special vacation together..and how he proposed to get married. Told even how Mama wanted assurance that we will get married, (told her in front of family, Aunt, Uncle, bros and sister). Told date of when he left, plans of where we will live once we get married. Dates are very important. Do not be vague so your petition will be genuine... Get some copies of phone bills with your numbers attached, snail mail envelopes if you sent them, photos together meeting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I will include a one page story that includes the dates of our meeting at work, first date, and eventually moving in together, a year and a half later. The photos I will include are quite persuasive.

I want to include the phone bill that lists both our names, but it's in Korea language, which is a completely different alphabet from English. We can translate the relavent portions, or we can try to translate the entire phone bill. Same with bank passbook with transactions. Translating an entire phone bill seems like a real pain in the ###, and I'd like to get clarification if that's necessary.

I think you are making a fuss over nothing. As mentioned, all you need to do is prove that you met within the last two years. You have a passport stamp, you said you are employed there throw in some pictures and you got it made. My fiancee went in the interview with a MOUNTAIN of evidence and all the CO looked at was a powerpoint presentation I made and printed out. In fact, all she did was skim through the presentation and she asked/commented on a few of the photos. It's really not as hard as it seems.

Yes, the passport stamps, and Korean work Visa are essential evidence. The photos of us are clearly labeled and in photo bags, ready to go. I found a hotel voucher in English from a May, 2008 trip to Seoul. Should I throw out all the other evidence, like the Korean bank passbook, and phone bill that proves we live together? I would really love to get rid of them. :thumbs:

I think you are making a fuss over nothing. As mentioned, all you need to do is prove that you met within the last two years. You have a passport stamp, you said you are employed there throw in some pictures and you got it made. My fiancee went in the interview with a MOUNTAIN of evidence and all the CO looked at was a powerpoint presentation I made and printed out. In fact, all she did was skim through the presentation and she asked/commented on a few of the photos. It's really not as hard as it seems.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Yes, the passport stamps, and Korean work Visa are essential evidence. The photos of us are clearly labeled and in photo bags, ready to go. I found a hotel voucher in English from a May, 2008 trip to Seoul. Should I throw out all the other evidence, like the Korean bank passbook, and phone bill that proves we live together? I would really love to get rid of them. :thumbs:

Unless you require that warm fuzzy feeling, I wouldnt keep them around especially if they are in korean. Remember, you dont need to prove you are living together all you need to prove is that you have met. More than likely when your fiancee tells the CO you are living together, she will be asked a couple questions about it. If you want bring the most recent phone/elec bill. But like I said all you need is proof that you met. If you have pics of you and her family BRING EM. Especially if they are pic of you doing something with the family like at the beach at the zoo, etc. The CO saw numerous pics of me and my fiancees family but she only commented on a couple with me helping my fiancee's father on their farm. It seemed to seal the deal as to our relationship being genuine

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

again, photos are secondary evidence. I could put you with anyone at any time with photoshop. ;)

We have a 10 year relationship and have lived together for some of that time as well. I just made a timeline and proved all of our travel together with passport stamps and boarding passes and some photos to support that evidence.

proof that you have been in that Country, passport stamps, itinerary, rental contract you have for living together, bills together.... the paystubs from the same Company are a good idea.

shame Korea does not allow DCF. :(

good luck

oops forgot to actually answer your question.... you can translate what you need to for the uscis. This link shows you

Edited by KimandRuss
timeline.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
again, photos are secondary evidence. I could put you with anyone at any time with photoshop. ;)

We have a 10 year relationship and have lived together for some of that time as well. I just made a timeline and proved all of our travel together with passport stamps and boarding passes and some photos to support that evidence.

proof that you have been in that Country, passport stamps, itinerary, rental contract you have for living together, bills together.... the paystubs from the same Company are a good idea.

good luck

oops forgot to actually answer your question.... you can translate what you need to for the uscis. This link shows you

Passport stamp(s) and work visa will be sufficient. No need to translate any receipts or bills. That would just be overkill. At interview, the time you've lived together will be sufficient evidence of a bona fide ongoing relationship.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thank You all for all the thoughtful advise about the I-129F. It's packed and ready to go for Monday morning. Quite relieved that we didn't spend our weekend translating receipts and phone bills! :thumbs:

good luck

Passport stamp(s) and work visa will be sufficient. No need to translate any receipts or bills. That would just be overkill. At interview, the time you've lived together will be sufficient evidence of a bona fide ongoing relationship.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to the interview? Since you are already in the country - it seems to me that showing up is pretty conclusive proof that you have met. Maybe I am missing something...

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.