chantpleure

how long until we can marry?

9 posts in this topic

I first entered the US in December 07, then left in June 08 to return in July 08, my fiancee proposed in August 08 but I have heard that I have to have been in the US for 3 months before we can marry-otherwise it's visa fraud. Does that mean from the first entry or from the last entry?

Thanks!

Interview passed 6/30/09

Filed for ROC 6/21/11

waiting...

dev172pr___.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

There is no time limit to get married if you enter on VWP. Get married when you want to get married.

As for the fraud, it will be up to you to prove that you had no immigrant intent. Waiting for a certian period before getting married does not make it more or less fraudulent.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

I would suggest you either do some googling or talk with an immigration attorney..

As was mentioned above though, you could marry the next day. I have heard of certain time frames being suggested.. Whether or not the marriage time frame plays any real role, I dont know.. Read up on it though

AOS

May 13 2008 (Day 1) - I-130/I485/I864/I765 Sent Via USPS for my new wife and step-daughter

May 23 2008 (Day 11) - Checks Cashed!

May 24 2008 (Day 12) - Received NOAs for I-130s/I-485s/I-765

May 27 2008 (Day 15) - Received Biometrics Appointment for June 12th @ 1PM at Tampa Office

June 12 2008 (Day 31) - Biometrics conducted in Tampa USCIS office also I-485 and I-765 TOUCHED!

June 18 2008 (Day 37) - I-130s and I-765 TOUCHED

June 24 2008 (Day 42) - That touch was actually an RFE letter being mailed. RFE for I-864 Evidence

July 16 2008 (Day 64) - Finally mailed back RFE letter with requested evidence

July 18 2008 (Day 66) - RFE Evidence delivered! Signed for by M. Miles

July 22 2008 (Day 70) - I-1485s TOUCHED and Received E-mail "Case Processing Resumed"

August 14 2008 (Day 93) - EAD Card Production Ordered!

August 15 2008 (Day 94) - I-765 TOUCHED

August 19 2008 (Day 98) - I-765 "EAD Approval Notice Mailed"

August 20 2008 (Day 99) - EAD CARD ARRIVED! - Applied for Social Security Number!

August 26 2008 (Day 105) - Received SSN - Took tests at DMV for License - Told license will arrive within 30 days by Mail

September 22 2008 (Day 132) - Received Driver License in mail - They sure took their time mailing that out!

October 11 2008 (Day 151) - Received Interview Letter for November 19th @ 7:00 AM

November 6 2008 (Day 177) - I-485s and I-130s TOUCHED

November 19 2008 (Day 190) - Had interview, APPROVED! Interview took less than 10 minutes

December 5 2008 (Day 206) - GREEN CARDS ARRIVE!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Wait. How did you enter the US and stay for 6 months? The VWP is only valid for 3 months. If you overstayed your VWP time then you are in from some trouble. Did you leave the country and then reset the VWP time during your stay from December to June?

Nothing I say is legal advice. I recommend you consult a qualified immigration attorney for any questions you may have.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I first entered the US in December 07, then left in June 08 to return in July 08, my fiancee proposed in August 08 but I have heard that I have to have been in the US for 3 months before we can marry-otherwise it's visa fraud. Does that mean from the first entry or from the last entry?

Thanks!

You can marry at any time as long as you can prove that you didn't intend to immigrate when your crossed the border. Hence, you need proofs, if you can provide them with these go ahead and marry, but also it would be smart to wait a little bit in order to turn the odds in your favor.

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Wait. How did you enter the US and stay for 6 months? The VWP is only valid for 3 months. If you overstayed your VWP time then you are in from some trouble. Did you leave the country and then reset the VWP time during your stay from December to June?

The entry via VWP was a presumption by another poster and was not facts entered into evidence or subsequently confirmed by the OP.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

You were here for 6 months, left for a month or so then came back in and now want to marry?

It's often suggested to wait until you are at the end of your 90 days (if vwp) to marry, but i'm guessing that's not the visa you're using. It sounds like proving you had no intent to immigrate on your last entry at your interview might be a bigger problem. I guess it depends on the visa you're here with.

good luck.

Edited by KimandRuss
timeline.jpg

ok, let me explain.. I wrote this entry this morning and completely forgot to put in what kind of visa I have. I'm on an F-1. My partner and I met in 2005 and have lived together since 2006.

I'm a bit worried about proving I had no intent to marry him because of course, I wanted him to propose to me eventually but wasn't sure when he would. I came here in December 2007 to continue my studies and continue living with him.

Interview passed 6/30/09

Filed for ROC 6/21/11

waiting...

dev172pr___.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
ok, let me explain.. I wrote this entry this morning and completely forgot to put in what kind of visa I have. I'm on an F-1. My partner and I met in 2005 and have lived together since 2006.

I'm a bit worried about proving I had no intent to marry him because of course, I wanted him to propose to me eventually but wasn't sure when he would. I came here in December 2007 to continue my studies and continue living with him.

If you are on an F-1, it changes everything, of course USCIS is aware that during our college life maybe we (I used to be an F-1) may find our significant other and get married, btw I wasn't hassled when I had my interview at all and I already have my green card. The only advice I can give you is to get married, and not to leave the country while your file is being processed or at least until you receive your Advance Parole. Being a student marrying his/her college sweetheart is more believable than a tourist marrying somebody after just 3 months in this country.

Go ahead and get married ;)

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.