8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My "husband" changed his mind about immigrating here to the US. He inially came here on a K1 visa that I secured for him but left due to some family "emergency" before we filed any papers(we were married here). We then started down the path to CR-1 and he has changed his mind yet again and now(and forever in my book) wants to stay in Nigeria. Now I need to clean up this mess. How does one file for divorce if the spouse is out of the counrty. He is making no claims to my assets, we have no children, and I have no intention of seeing him ever again.

If he were to file for divorce in Nigeria would that be legal here? This whole process was bank/budget breaking and I dont want to spend another dime on this person.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My guess would be if you married here in the States, the marriage has been recorded and would need to be dissolved here. IMHO I would at least contact a divorce attorney (maybe there is one that will grant you a free consultation) and decide which path you need to go in order to obtain your divorce. Best wishes (F)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

File here. If he is willing to sign th paperwork, then it would be easy. If no0t, then you would have to have him served by publication. See any divorce lawyer.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Timeline

desert_fox is correct, as long as you meet residency requirements in your state, you can file a petition for divorce where you are. He would be given notice by way of mail, most likely certified, and 30 days to answer the complaint.

My "husband" changed his mind about immigrating here to the US. He inially came here on a K1 visa that I secured for him but left due to some family "emergency" before we filed any papers(we were married here). We then started down the path to CR-1 and he has changed his mind yet again and now(and forever in my book) wants to stay in Nigeria. Now I need to clean up this mess. How does one file for divorce if the spouse is out of the counrty. He is making no claims to my assets, we have no children, and I have no intention of seeing him ever again.

If he were to file for divorce in Nigeria would that be legal here? This whole process was bank/budget breaking and I dont want to spend another dime on this person.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Am sorry about your marriage didn't turn out well. I believe to file for divorce is to where you two get married.

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I just wanted to say that I am very sorry your marriage ended this way. Sending you strength and courage. I am not certain if this is country specific, but in my case, if my husband had returned to his country, he would have had 60 days to answer, so I made sure he was served before he left.

2manypapers

Filed: Other Timeline

You should consult a divorce lawyer who'll be able to advise you the best way to go. Sorry about your marriage and all the time and money you spent on this man. Him being out of your life before things went further was probably for the best. Best of luck to you (F)

Life is so strange but it sure keeps you on your toes!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Forget about divorce. Get the marriage ANNULLED! An annulment erases the fact of marriage. Divorce simply dissolves it.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.