Gerry and Debbie

Am I allowed to work prior EAD?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hi!

I'm just wondering if I can work without getting in trouble of course, before I get my EAD?

Im filling some job applications and applying for jobs here and there but Im not sure if that is allowed?!

I guess that being married to an US citizen gives you some sort of "privilege" to work prior getting EAD or green card, and its all about the employer understanding that(you being married to an US citizen) situation or not?

I have a SSN, and the need of working!.. Im going out of my mind just being a housewife!!!!

My point is, I dont wanna get in trouble or mess up my process cause I start making incomes and then the DHS finds out about it!! :dead:

So anybody can help me to clear up this point?

Thanks in advance!!

Gerry & Debbie S.

AOS JOURNEY

US Entry............................................April 20th, POE: IAH

Got Married........................................May 9th

AOS Package Mailed...........................August 26t/08

AOS Package Dellivered......................August 29th/08

Request for evidence...........................Sept. 19/08

Biometrics...........................................October 2nd/08

Request for Evidence Received..............October 10/08

Case Transfered to CSC.......................October 21/08

Case Aprooved....................................Nov 2008

GC received in the mail..........................March/2009

I-751 Package Mailed.............................1/4/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

technically the answer is no, and the second question would be, will a credible employer hire you without EAD.... I would think no as well...

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
Hi!

I'm just wondering if I can work without getting in trouble of course, before I get my EAD?

Im filling some job applications and applying for jobs here and there but Im not sure if that is allowed?!

I guess that being married to an US citizen gives you some sort of "privilege" to work prior getting EAD or green card, and its all about the employer understanding that(you being married to an US citizen) situation or not?

I have a SSN, and the need of working!.. Im going out of my mind just being a housewife!!!!

My point is, I dont wanna get in trouble or mess up my process cause I start making incomes and then the DHS finds out about it!! :dead:

Thanks in advance!!

I think you can as long as you have social security card. I am a newcomer in USA, i got my SSCard on August 13,08. it shows VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION, and has your name & number on this SSCard.

Timeline
technically the answer is no, and the second question would be, will a credible employer hire you without EAD.... I would think no as well...

See this is the thing..

Theres a grocery store here in town.. and I told them that I did not have EAD and that my papers were in process and they asked me if I was married to an US citizen which I am... then they told me there was no problem, cause just being married to an USC gives me a chance!

So this is confusing!!

Hi!

Thanks in advance!!

I think you can as long as you have social security card. I am a newcomer in USA, i got my SSCard on August 13,08. it shows VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION, and has your name & number on this SSCard.

I know... same as my SS card...

I just wanna work!! :(

Edited by Gerry and Debbie

Gerry & Debbie S.

AOS JOURNEY

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I think you can as long as you have social security card. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

........VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION, You need to understand what this phrase means!!!!

A social security card with the "VALID FOR WORK ONLY" phrase by itself does not provide or convey work authorization in any way shape matter or form...

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

If I were you I wouldn't work. If ICE finds out you are working without legal docs you will be banned and deported from the US. Like others have said what credible employeer hires anyone without SSN and the EAD.

The government is working hard against hiring people illegally.

Don't let the choices chose you, chose the choices that you want.

Timeline
I think you can as long as you have social security card. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

........VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION, You need to understand what this phrase means!!!!

A social security card with the "VALID FOR WORK ONLY" phrase by itself does not provide or convey work authorization in any way shape matter or form...

I know that... but thanks for remember us ;)

If I were you I wouldn't work. If ICE finds out you are working without legal docs you will be banned and deported from the US. Like others have said what credible employeer hires anyone without SSN and the EAD.

The government is working hard against hiring people illegally.

I know what you mean...

Thats what I meant when I said that I needed someone to clear that out and you just did.... you comfirmed what I was afraid of :(

I guess Im way too desperate to change this routine!

Thanks for the help guys!

Gerry & Debbie S.

AOS JOURNEY

Hi!

Thanks in advance!!

No, the social security card is not a work authorization card. The statement "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS WORK AUTHORIZATION" means that the SS card has to be used in conjunction (WITH) an EAD or Greencard in order to be valid for work purposes. You need to understand that statement completely....its no surprise that the statement is printed in red on the SS card.

As for the OP's question....no, you cannot work until EAD is in your hand. Just simply marrying an USC does not confer authorization to work until Department of Homeland Security (DHS) approves your employment authorization petition. The store manager that told you that as long as you're married to a USC you're OK to work, is either engaged in shady business practices or does not know his immigration A$$ from him elbow.

Yes, it is a privilege to marry a US citizen, it entitles you to apply for immigration benefits that other immigrants are not entitled to...and it entitles you to an 'expedited' path to US citizenship. Those are two very important privileges that others would give their proverbial left nut for.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

You have to report taxes and even with an SSN, if you do not have proper "work authorization", SSA will report it to DHS or Department of Homeland Security and can have you deported or go to jail. Its stated in SSA website. Unless you are getting paid under the table, you can work, just dont get caught....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi!

Thanks in advance!!

No, the social security card is not a work authorization card. The statement "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS WORK AUTHORIZATION" means that the SS card has to be used in conjunction (WITH) an EAD or Greencard in order to be valid for work purposes. You need to understand that statement completely....its no surprise that the statement is printed in red on the SS card.

As for the OP's question....no, you cannot work until EAD is in your hand. Just simply marrying an USC does not confer authorization to work until Department of Homeland Security (DHS) approves your employment authorization petition. The store manager that told you that as long as you're married to a USC you're OK to work, is either engaged in shady business practices or does not know his immigration A$$ from him elbow.

Yes, it is a privilege to marry a US citizen, it entitles you to apply for immigration benefits that other immigrants are not entitled to...and it entitles you to an 'expedited' path to US citizenship. Those are two very important privileges that others would give their proverbial left nut for.

-P

Finally a real, straight to the point, correct answer...

It does NOT matter if you're married to a USC or if you have a SSN. You cannot legally work before you have permission from USCIS to do so (either with your EAD or GC).

Millions of people work illegally, but that does not make it right. You will soon be able to work legally, why not enjoy your time off and start a hobby, work out, relax....?

I would not suggest working before you have your EAD/GC - you don't want to screw up anything. That's what I told my husband (he didn't want to stay home either), but we agreed that was the best.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.