AlHayatZween

Marriage Certificate Holding Us Up...

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Dear Friends,

Just a quick consensus question: For those of you who did not get married at city hall, how long did it take you to get your official marriage certificate once you tied the knot? On average?

We've been waiting over two weeks for the certificate to come, and I'm really stressing. It's the only thing holding us up in our AOS and EAD application...

Any thoughts?

Thanks for listening,

hz

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
Dear Friends,

Just a quick consensus question: For those of you who did not get married at city hall, how long did it take you to get your official marriage certificate once you tied the knot? On average?

We've been waiting over two weeks for the certificate to come, and I'm really stressing. It's the only thing holding us up in our AOS and EAD application...

Any thoughts?

Thanks for listening,

hz

In our case, I went to our county courthouse to get a certified copy of the marriage registration. I waited about one week to request it, because our officiating minister had to complete the form and send it in with his signature. The certified official copy was printed out and embossed while I waited...$5 fee. In Virginia, at least, these are not mailed to anyone after the wedding.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

I got married at the County's office and I had to wait 10 days before we were able to get the certified copy. Then my wife went and got 3 certified copies in about 10 minutes.

Don't let the choices chose you, chose the choices that you want.

Timeline

Hmmmm... this was in Newark?

In NYC, they are supposedly going to mail it to me, but like i said, i've received nothing yet. i tried to send an e-mail inquiry through the Marriage Bureau website, but of course, no gains there... And there is no phone number to ask...

Perhaps Tuesday, i'll have to take a trip downtown... i hate it though, because you know how mean some of the people working in those offices can be!

Thanks for your help,

hz

love0038.gif

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
Hmmmm... this was in Newark?

In NYC, they are supposedly going to mail it to me, but like i said, i've received nothing yet. i tried to send an e-mail inquiry through the Marriage Bureau website, but of course, no gains there... And there is no phone number to ask...

Perhaps Tuesday, i'll have to take a trip downtown... i hate it though, because you know how mean some of the people working in those offices can be!

Thanks for your help,

hz

Actually, I got married in Hackensack, NJ. Bergen County's Clerk Office and like I said we had to wait 10 days after the marriage.

Hope it helps.

The office we went to, the people were really nice. Big city offices are most of the time different.

Don't let the choices chose you, chose the choices that you want.

Dear Friends,

Any thoughts?

Thanks for listening,

hz

7 - 10 days.. ;)

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I totally understand your stress. I married my husband on the 28th of June and I got my marriage certificate on the 17th of July. About 3 weeks. Until then, I had everything, but I could not even mail AOS. Yep, average time is 2-3weeks.

7/19 AOS package has been mailed

7/21 AOS package was arrived in Chicogo.

7/28 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP

8/15 Biometric done

Ahhh lol only a few weeks.. try Honolulu, the waiting for the marriage certificate there is about 2 to 3 months, lucky thing we can get a certified copy in advance after we marry :)

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Timeline

Thanks, everybody.

Yes, it is really stressing me out, not only for AOS, but also to add him to my health insurance. It really sucks...

In any case I'm going to the City Clerk tomorrow... Hopefully they can at least tell me if it's been processed or not.

Thanks again,

hz

love0038.gif

Timeline

Update:

Went to City Hall today to see what the problem was...

At first they couldn't find the license we sent in...

Then by some twist of magic they found it!!

But then, their computers were down...

And it would take a few days to get sorted out...

So i left emptyhanded. My husband's K-1 visa expires in a month and a half. We were married a month ago... but we have no legal record of it.

i'm scared to death that this is going to be the second country that doesn't legally recognize our marriage.

We were also "married" in Morocco in May of 2007... not that anyone credited us with legality then either.........

:crying:

love0038.gif

Timeline

Dear Friends...

We finally got the certificate. i had to go down to City Hall twice to get it... they had apparently been saying they sent it out, when, in fact... they did not.

So it's in hand now !! :dance::dance: Moving on to AOS...

But here is my question:

On the certificate, there is no space for the Witnesses names. It just has our names, our address, place of birth, who married us, and where... but no space for the Witnesses?

Is that weird? This is for a NYC marriage certificate. Will this be something worthy of an RFE?

Thank you in advance!

hz

love0038.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.