KHPerfectMatch

Hubby Arriving October 6th, Insha'allah

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

A'salaamu Alaikum and Ramadan Kareem to all the Muslims (on Sunday Insha'allah....)

My husband has his ticket and insha'allah will arrive on October 6th. (Great day for Egyptians!!!) He is flying on Egypt Air to JFK arriving at 3:15 and has a flight at 7:20 nonstop to the Pacific Northwest (where I live)... arriving at 11:30pm PST... (long trip! but hey, I've done it 4 times... it's HIS turn!)

He is so nervous and I can't tell him what to expect in the way of questions, etc. when he arrives at JFK. I can't even tell him if he gets his bags FIRST and then deals with the USCIS, or deals with them and THEN gets his bags.. Since he can't check the bags through I know he will need to check in and check his bags at the other airline's ticket counter/check in counter, (I believe the terminals are next to each other fortunately) before he proceeds. I'm pretty sure from reading on here that 3.5 or so hours between flights is long enough. He wants to make sure he doesn't bring anything that will cause a problem and that he gets his temporary work permit...

I've told him to carry some US$ with him (he'll have to pay for his 2nd bag on JetBlue) and might want to eat during the layover IF he has time, since food is so scarce on economy airlines these days..... I'm so glad he speaks English and I'm sending him my 800# for my calling card and my PIN# so he can phone me from any pay phone he finds in the airport... (no way will he figure out how to use the WIFI on the laptop he's carrying in the airport lounge... hehehehhe)

Would any of you MENA guys (Especially Egyptians) be willing to help advise him by sending him an email or chatting with him? He's in his late 40's and has never travelled outside of Egypt before except for Ummrah. He is truly making a huge sacrifice to join me here in the USA and I want to help him in any way that I can, so I am asking if any of you are willing, please email me privately and I will "connect" you with him.

Wa'salaam and Jezakallahkhairn for any help you can give him to help him feel prepared and secure.

Karamella

Filed: Timeline

Woohoo!!! :dance: I am so happy that you have your flight scheduled and your hubby will be home soon.

As far as the POE being JFK - I've come through there several times and I think that he would go through immigration before getting his bags, but since he's a transfer flight, it could be different. However all of my Egyptian friends in New York, New Jersey, and Delaware all come Cairo to JFK so I will ask them tonight what it's like as a POE for someone with a visa and post the information for you ASAP - In the mean time other MENA friends might be able to shed more light on what JFK is like. I know several of my friends have had their fathers and mothers come from Cairo to JFK and their parents spoke no English and they did not encounter any types of problems from immigration there. Inshallah that is going to be the case for your husband!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Congratulations!!!!

I have flown through JFK a couple times and I could have sworn I had to get my bags first and then go through immigration. Maybe my memory is bad though.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

You may be right! That's why I am going to call my friends and ask for them. JFK was always a connector for me and I wasn't going through "immigration" so I'm not sure if you get bags then do immigration or if you do immigration and then get bags.. Every air port is different.. But I know Philly you do immigration and then get backs... I hope to get a call back ASAP!

Congratulations!!!!

I have flown through JFK a couple times and I could have sworn I had to get my bags first and then go through immigration. Maybe my memory is bad though.

Timeline
You may be right! That's why I am going to call my friends and ask for them. JFK was always a connector for me and I wasn't going through "immigration" so I'm not sure if you get bags then do immigration or if you do immigration and then get bags.. Every air port is different.. But I know Philly you do immigration and then get backs... I hope to get a call back ASAP!

Congratulations!!!!

I remember getting my bags first and then there was customs and immigration. This way if they want to check your bags or whatever, then you will have them with you. I just remember my bags being the first thing I did, but it has been nearly a year since I last flew through JFK.

Congratulations!!!!

I remember getting my bags first and then there was customs and immigration. This way if they want to check your bags or whatever, then you will have them with you. I just remember my bags being the first thing I did, but it has been nearly a year since I last flew through JFK.

S and S :luv: Miss you!! How are you doing? I'm having withdrawals...you haven't been around to play with in our Night Owl gang... :(

Timeline

Congratulations!!!!

S and S :luv: Miss you!! How are you doing? I'm having withdrawals...you haven't been around to play with in our Night Owl gang... :(

Sorry, a long week and the internet was just recently fixed. I missed you guys too!

That is great news for you.

Congratulations, at least you have some time to prepare yourself.

I know when I came thru JFK it was a pain the ###! I had to collect my bags and recheck.

I already told my husband I want him to connect in Paris, that way he doesnt have the hassle of getting his bags in JFK and re checking them in, which could just lead to more confusion.

Good luck :thumbs:

Timeline
That is great news for you.

Congratulations, at least you have some time to prepare yourself.

I know when I came thru JFK it was a pain the ###! I had to collect my bags and recheck.

I already told my husband I want him to connect in Paris, that way he doesnt have the hassle of getting his bags in JFK and re checking them in, which could just lead to more confusion.

Good luck :thumbs:

If you mean Paris, France then he will still go through that because Paris is still outside the United States. He would still have to go through customs and immigration same as anyone else when entering the United States.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Congrats to both you and hubby. My husband came thru chicago as his poe. So we wouldn't be able to help you there.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Congratulations, and happy reunion!

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.