SnowXTC

Mortgage Question

8 posts in this topic

My husband and I have 2 joint bank accounts, a few joint bills, and some joint purchases with department cards, but he is not on my mortgage nor did I add his name to the ownership of the house.

Here is my dilema:

I was divorced in 2002, but did not refinance my house to remove my now ex-husband from the loan. I did remove him from the ownership of the house. In 2003 I filed for bankruptcy. (I was left with a house payment, car payment, all the bills, both kids, and ####### for child support). This has pretty much screwed my credit and with 6.25% interest on the mortgage, I would be nuts to mess with the loan. Shaun and I were married in March 2006. Even though we could probably refinance now, I doubt we would get 6.25% and I only have 4 years left on the loan. As for not adding him to the ownership of the house, I was protecting myself and my kids. If it did not work out, I could loose my house and I can't do that to my kids. Even though I love Shaun completely and I know this is going to work, I have not changed it.

So here is my question:

Do I write a statement explaining all this and include it in the evidence or do I just not say anything about it?

I want to send this off tomorrow. Please help.

I-129F Received in Nebraska 8/18/2005

I-129F Approved 10/6/2005 - I really like the USCIS email!!

K-1 Packet Received 11/29/2005

DS-230 sent 11/29/2005

Request for Interview sent 12/19/2005

Interview Notice received 1/3/2006

Interview is scheduled for 3/6/2006

Changed Medical to 3/1/06

Interview went great and easy - Visa received 3/6/06

Customs - 2+ hours - 3/6/06

Applied for SSN - 3/8/06

Received SSN - 3/13/06 - 1.5 days to process and 1 day to mail - INCREDIBLE!!!

Wedding - 3/18/06

AOS, EAD filed 3/25/06

EAD Approved 6/23/06

Interview 9/25/06

Approved 9/28/06 !!!!!!!!

Now it starts again

I-751

I-751 Mailed 8/29/08

I-751 Received 9/2/08

NOA1 Date 9/2/08

Received NOA1 9/9/08

Biometrics taken at InfoPass Appt 10/3/08 - still no ASC Letter

Application has Supervisory Hold, Local Office is investigating why 10/3/08

12/8/08 - still no answer from Local Office and still no biometrics letter

12/16/08 - Card Production Ordered!!!!!

12/20/08 - Card Received !!!!!!

Now we wait until 6/20/2018 to renew the Green Card !!!!!

Waiting is tough, but oh so worth it!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My husband and I have 2 joint bank accounts, a few joint bills, and some joint purchases with department cards, but he is not on my mortgage nor did I add his name to the ownership of the house.

Here is my dilema:

I was divorced in 2002, but did not refinance my house to remove my now ex-husband from the loan. I did remove him from the ownership of the house. In 2003 I filed for bankruptcy. (I was left with a house payment, car payment, all the bills, both kids, and ####### for child support). This has pretty much screwed my credit and with 6.25% interest on the mortgage, I would be nuts to mess with the loan. Shaun and I were married in March 2006. Even though we could probably refinance now, I doubt we would get 6.25% and I only have 4 years left on the loan. As for not adding him to the ownership of the house, I was protecting myself and my kids. If it did not work out, I could loose my house and I can't do that to my kids. Even though I love Shaun completely and I know this is going to work, I have not changed it.

So here is my question:

Do I write a statement explaining all this and include it in the evidence or do I just not say anything about it?

I want to send this off tomorrow. Please help.

There are many ways to prove your bonafides, joint home ownership is just one of many. If for you it is not evidence then don't provide it... if you don't provide it then you do not need to explain....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Sounds like you made a good decision. I would not include anything about your mortgage because: (1) a mortgage in both names is not a requirement (many married people rent) and (2) you have other evidence that establishes your relationship & financial ties to each other.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Do you have joint tax returns? Thats important to show you are living together. Make copy of both DL. Request somebody to write a letter about you and your husband and notarize it. Include photos that you are together. Apply for a credit card and add him to the account. If you made any trip together, attach the evidence. That's enough. Good luck.

Hi, I never added my husband to the house either. I just didn't send it in. I sent in other evidence. We're still waiting. We filed May 2. I'll let you know what happens. But it wasn't a problem when we went for AOS.

Edited by Paul and Melanie

AOS

09/04/05- Married

11/01/05- I-130, I-485 and I-765 applications mailed to Chicago lockbox

11/22/05- NOA

12/06/05- RFE on I-864 for medical and petitioners Birth Certificate

02/23/06- Biometrics taken for AOS and EAD

03/17/06- EAD approved

03/20/06- EAD received in mail

03/22/06- Applied for Social Security Number

03/27/06- Received Social Security Card

03/27/06- Received interview date for AOS

04/06/06- Started first job in America

04/29/06- Passed the test at the DMV, now have a state permit to drive

05/03/06- Initial Interview for AOS

05/03/06- AOS approved! I-551 stamped in passport!!

05/12/06- Welcome To America letter

05/15/06- Green Card arrived in mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lifting Conditions I-751

09/04/07 - Married 2 years

04/30/08 - Sent package

05/03/08 - Green Card expired

05/02/08 - USCIS Received package

05/05/08 - Check cashed

05/08/08 - Received Extension letter

05/17/08 - Received Biometrics appointment letter for May 31, 2008

05/24/08 - Received 2nd letter for Biometrics appointment for June 4, 2008

05/31/08 - Went to biometrics appointment on May 31, 2008, said Paul did not have to go on June 4th, computer glitch.

06/04/08 - Case was "touched"

Well I am not sending it in. Here is what I am sending in with notes attached to some sections:

Application

Identification

Permanent Resident Card

Passport

Driver's Licenses – Shaun and Pam

Social Security Card

Marriage Certificate

Affidavits - 5, including 1 from my son

Health, Life Insurance, and Retirement Information

2006 and 2007 Federal and State Tax Returns with Economic Stimulus Letter

Vehicles Titles - 7

Vehicle Insurance - most is in my name, but show him as a driver in the household.

Bank Statements - two joint checking, one joint savings. Joint checking shows deposits from each of our individual accts.

Bills - electric bill, (phone and other utility bills come in my name), joint credit card bills - 4, storage bill.

Miscellaneous

Receipt for Rain Gutters – 06/05/2008

Receipt for Sprinkler System – 07/23/2008

AAA Statement – 07/31/2007 –
on top portion of page

AAA Statement – 07/31/2008 –
on bottom portion of page

Costco Renewal – 12/31/2008

Envelope from City County Sanitation – 07/21/2008

Helena SnowDrifters Newsletter – 12/11/2007

Helena SnowDrifters Newsletter – 07/22/2008

Certificate of Training – Mine Safety and Health Administration

Certificate of Training – Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response

I hope that his is enough. We have taken trips, but we drove. We have pictures of us together, but they do not have dates or locations on them. I am thinking I have enough, but you never know. I used the example letter, which states they are welcome to come over to our house and since we live in the same town as an office, they just might do that. But then they may ask why our tools are not inter-mingled. That seems to be the one place we have trouble coming together. Although I find plenty of my tools in his tool box.

Is there anything I am missing????

It is punched, loaded into a folder, with dividers and tabs at the bottom. Even has a rubber band around it.

Edited by SnowXTC

I-129F Received in Nebraska 8/18/2005

I-129F Approved 10/6/2005 - I really like the USCIS email!!

K-1 Packet Received 11/29/2005

DS-230 sent 11/29/2005

Request for Interview sent 12/19/2005

Interview Notice received 1/3/2006

Interview is scheduled for 3/6/2006

Changed Medical to 3/1/06

Interview went great and easy - Visa received 3/6/06

Customs - 2+ hours - 3/6/06

Applied for SSN - 3/8/06

Received SSN - 3/13/06 - 1.5 days to process and 1 day to mail - INCREDIBLE!!!

Wedding - 3/18/06

AOS, EAD filed 3/25/06

EAD Approved 6/23/06

Interview 9/25/06

Approved 9/28/06 !!!!!!!!

Now it starts again

I-751

I-751 Mailed 8/29/08

I-751 Received 9/2/08

NOA1 Date 9/2/08

Received NOA1 9/9/08

Biometrics taken at InfoPass Appt 10/3/08 - still no ASC Letter

Application has Supervisory Hold, Local Office is investigating why 10/3/08

12/8/08 - still no answer from Local Office and still no biometrics letter

12/16/08 - Card Production Ordered!!!!!

12/20/08 - Card Received !!!!!!

Now we wait until 6/20/2018 to renew the Green Card !!!!!

Waiting is tough, but oh so worth it!!!

I just wrote a short statement on my cover letter stating my husband was not on my mortgage because I had it before we were married and we are planning on building a house soon and his name will be put on that. I also put a copy of the mortgage statement that shows the original loan date ( before our marriage). I also made a short statement as to why the bills are in my name only and he isn't on the car insurance, etc. I think I had plenty of evidence but those are all common things and I thought I would put in a short statement stated why they were not included. I do not think it is necessary but I did it anyways. If you want to mention it I do not think you need a long involved letter. Just a brief statement. Just my opinion. I have just sent my petition in recently and still have time to receive an RFE, but I haven't gotten one yet.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.