lopakalolo

U.S. Embassy Manila NBI Clearance Investigation

45 posts in this topic

NBI Clearance Investigation

My wife and I just completed the interview on 13 August 08. We were in high spirits until we went to the last window to pick up our forms. Hiccup! She was handed a document that listed these categories: "Affidavit of Support", "From Applicant", "Required Clearances", "Information on Petitioner", "Evidence of Claimed Relationship Between You and ____", and "Employment Based Petitions".

Her hiccup "glitch" pertains to only the "Required Clearances" on her part and that was checked.

The other reading of the form that takes the wind out of your sails is:

Dear Immigrant Visa Applicant: We are unable to complete the processing of your immigrant visa application (under section 221 (g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act) until you present the following documents. (You don’t get to present them)

&

Required Clearances - NBI written explanation of "No Criminal Record", or "No Pending Case" for you wife’s name . (We already had that but they want more)

&

What to Do Next: WAIT UNTIL YOU HEAR FROM US: We must review your case before it can be processed further. Please wait for a letter from us telling you when you can return to the Embassy with the documents marked above for another (here we go again) appointment. (Oh goody - Another %$#*&**&% wait)

My wife had her NBI clearance with her at her interview and its notation is "No Criminal Record". To most intelligent people that would be a good thing - but you have to realize that 1.) You’re in the Philippines & 2.) You’re dealing with the U. S. Embassy.

After doing some checking, I discovered that "No Criminal Record" is not a good thing in the eyes of the U.S. Embassy and I was told by an embassy employee that they look at the NBI as being corrupt agency (can you imagine that) and that they would have to do a further investigation before going forward. I asked them how long this would take and got the usual shoulder shrug. Can you imagine not trusting the NBI? LOL.

They also won’t let you go down to the NBI and get the letter of explanation - the embassy would be suspicious that you had paid someone at the NBI to get the letter, so they will not accept it if you do.

This makes me wonder - when you are preparing your documents for your interview; they gave you a list of what they want. I don’t recall seeing anything on that list saying NBI Clearance (and Letter of Explanation) or ( Don’t bother getting the clearance- we don’t trust the NBI and we will have to investigate it ourselves anyway). No, it just says NBI Clearance. In our case it was notated “No Criminal Record” Duh! Maybe it’s supposed to say “Squeaky Clean”.

We had just overcome another boondoggle with the Medical Exam when they chose her to do the T.B. culture that extended our interview date by another six weeks. The culture came back negative -squeaky clean (we knew that when she took it) and now we have “hiccup number 2” - another delay and then probably some more stupidity. My wife has a squeaky clean record, never had anything to do with the law and we already know there is nothing that will pop out of the woodwork "Except” and I don't use that word lightly! She has a common Asian name equal to "Jane Smith" in the states. We are already anticipating a nightmare of these and wading through all these similar names and she will have to prove that she is not any of them except one.

I tried to find the NBI subject on this site but had no luck. I wanted to hear from others that got this little goody and how they got through it and how long that took.

I don't know what it is about us, we are both retired, clean living family types and I'm getting to feel like we will both be in the grave when the Visa comes through or maybe just using walkers through American customs with her Immigrant Visa in hand. LOL. Of course the other thought is that when the packet arrives we might not be able to handle the shock and we will have a double heart attack. I was reading some of the comments rating the U.S. Embassy - Manila and they were mostly rated with 4 to 5 stars. We must have come in through another door because my rating would be generous with half a star.

Last but not least, I went with her granddaughter and the boyfriend to get a Tourist Visas (Non-Immigrant). They were both refused, with the interviewer (as usual) not looking at all the back up documents or letting them explain. Her granddaughter just had a ten year visa expire and was looking for a renewal. This was with 4 trips to the states and never once over staying or breaking any of the rules - go figure. Now it takes over $500 American dollars to request a re-evaluation. This embassy reminds me of the state troopers where I come from and their quotas for handing out speeding tickets. All this money just because of a wimp with a “I’m in Power” ego that can simply put a check mark (for refused) with the swipe of pen and not even looking at the supporting documents that would prove him or her wrong.

Talk about a glutton for punishment - and to think I used to complain about the Department of Motor Vehicles back in the states. That would be a cake walk compared to the U.S. Embassy.

By the way, while I’m still on my band wagon - have you ever looked around when you’re in there and asked yourself “Am I in the U.S. Embassy or the Philippine Embassy”? and “Where the hell are the Americans in this place hiding”? Go to entrance - Philippine guards, go through security - again Philippine Personnel. Go into the Immigrant, Non-Immigrant or Dept. of Homeland Security - ditto. The kicker is the Social Security and Veteran’s Administration areas - look around and see how many Americans are sitting with you. Are you wondering why the Social Security is going broke and where are all my fellow veterans’ ????. Good Morning Viet Nam.

Oh well - back to the drawing board. - I feel better now.

My wife and I just completed the interview on 13 August 08. We were in high spirits until we went to the last window to pick up our forms. Hiccup! She was handed a document that listed these categories: "Affidavit of Support", "From Applicant", "Required Clearances", "Information on Petitioner", "Evidence of Claimed Relationship Between You and ____", and "Employment Based Petitions".

Her hiccup "glitch" pertains to only the "Required Clearances" on her part and that was checked.

Dear Immigrant Visa Applicant: We are unable to complete the processing of your immigrant visa application (under section 221 (g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act) until you present the following documents. (You don’t get to present them)

&

Required Clearances - NBI written explanation of "No Criminal Record", or "No Pending Case" for you wife’s name . (We already had that but they want more)

&

What to Do Next: WAIT UNTIL YOU HEAR FROM US: We must review your case before it can be processed further. Please wait for a letter from us telling you when you can return to the Embassy with the documents marked above for another (here we go again) appointment. (Oh goody - Another %$#*&**&% wait)

My wife had her NBI clearance with her at her interview and its notation is "No Criminal Record". To most intelligent people that would be a good thing - but you have to realize that 1.) You’re in the Philippines & 2.) You’re dealing with the U. S. Embassy.

After doing some checking, I discovered that "No Criminal Record" is not a good thing in the eyes of the U.S. Embassy and I was told by an embassy employee that they look at the NBI as being corrupt agency (can you imagine that) and that they would have to do a further investigation before going forward. I asked them how long this would take and got the usual shoulder shrug. Can you imagine not trusting the NBI? LOL.

They also won’t let you go down to the NBI and get the letter of explanation - the embassy would be suspicious that you had paid someone at the NBI to get the letter, so they will not accept it if you do.

This makes me wonder - when you are preparing your documents for your interview; they gave you a list of what they want. I don’t recall seeing anything on that list saying NBI Clearance (and Letter of Explanation) or ( Don’t bother getting the clearance- we don’t trust the NBI and we will have to investigate it ourselves anyway). No, it just says NBI Clearance. In our case it was notated “No Criminal Record†Duh! Maybe it’s supposed to say “Squeaky Cleanâ€.

We had just overcome another boondoggle with the Medical Exam when they chose her to do the T.B. culture that extended our interview date by another six weeks. The culture came back negative -squeaky clean (we knew that when she took it) and now we have “hiccup number 2†- another delay and then probably some more stupidity. My wife has a squeaky clean record, never had anything to do with the law and we already know there is nothing that will pop out of the woodwork "Except†and I don't use that word lightly! She has a common Asian name equal to "Jane Smith" in the states. We are already anticipating a nightmare of these and wading through all these similar names and she will have to prove that she is not any of them except one.

I tried to find the NBI subject on this site but had no luck. I wanted to hear from others that got this little goody and how they got through it and how long that took.

I don't know what it is about us, we are both retired, clean living family types and I'm getting to feel like we will both be in the grave when the Visa comes through or maybe just using walkers through American customs with her Immigrant Visa in hand. LOL. Of course the other thought is that when the packet arrives we might not be able to handle the shock and we will have a double heart attack. I was reading some of the comments rating the U.S. Embassy - Manila and they were mostly rated with 4 to 5 stars. We must have come in through another door because my rating would be generous with half a star.

Last but not least, I went with her granddaughter and the boyfriend to get a Tourist Visas (Non-Immigrant). They were both refused, with the interviewer (as usual) not looking at all the back up documents or letting them explain. Her granddaughter just had a ten year visa expire and was looking for a renewal. This was with 4 trips to the states and never once over staying or breaking any of the rules - go figure. Now it takes over $500 American dollars to request a re-evaluation. This embassy reminds me of the state troopers where I come from and their quotas for handing out speeding tickets. All this money just because of a wimp with a “I’m in Power†ego that can simply put a check mark (for refused) with the swipe of pen and not even looking at the supporting documents that would prove him or her wrong.

Talk about a glutton for punishment - and to think I used to complain about the Department of Motor Vehicles back in the states. That would be a cake walk compared to the U.S. Embassy.

By the way, while I’m still on my band wagon - have you ever looked around when you’re in there and asked yourself “Am I in the U.S. Embassy or the Philippine Embassyâ€? and “Where the hell are the Americans in this place hidingâ€? Go to entrance - Philippine guards, go through security - again Philippine Personnel. Go into the Immigrant, Non-Immigrant or Dept. of Homeland Security - ditto. The kicker is the Social Security and Veteran’s Administration areas - look around and see how many Americans are sitting with you. Are you wondering why the Social Security is going broke and where are all my fellow veterans’ ????. Good Morning Viet Nam.

NBI CLEARANCE: Applicants aged 16 years and older must have a valid Record Clearance for Travel Abroad Purposes from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). Clearances should be in the applicant’s current name, birth certificate name, maiden name, married name, and any aliases or nicknames ever used, including different spellings of all names ever used. An official letter of explanation from the NBI is required for any notation of “No criminal recordâ€, "No pending criminal case†or “With derogatory record.†NBI is located along Taft Avenue in Manila. You may contact NBI at (632) 523-82-31 to 38. For immigration purposes, an NBI clearance is considered valid only for one year from the date it is issued

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html

Good luck.

PS I have seen where some NBI personal have been corrupt.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

u need to submit - ASAP what they ask or else the visa will be delayed for a couple of weeks ;)

Naturalization

01-04-2012 --- N400 sent

01-11-2012 --- Check Cashed

01-10-2012 --- NOA1

02-07-2012 --- Biometrics

02-14-2012 --- Yellow Letter (it says "bring any state issued ID" for interview)

02-24-2012 --- Placed in line for Interview Scheduling

02-27-2012 --- Interview Letter sent out

03-02-2012 --- Interview Letter received

04-02-2012 --- INTERVIEW- passed!

05-01-2012 --- Oath scheduled/ Oath Letter Sent

05-16-2012 --- Oath Taking! I am now a USC!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-5

05-17-2012 --- I-130 Sent

05-29-2012 --- NOA1

09-24-2012 --- NOA2

10-11-2012 --- Received Case Number via email

10-12-2012 --- Mailed AOS

10-24-2012 --- Mailed DS-230

11-16-2012 --- Case Complete

11-27-2012 --- Received interview schedule via email

11-05-2012 --- Early Medical day 1

11-06-2012 --- Medical Day 2 -PASSED!

01-03-2013 --- Interview- APRROVED!

01-10-2013 --- VISA Received

01-14-2013 --- POE LAX

dnt worry ive seen a thread abt like that before..

i think you'll just need to submit a letter from NBI..

some NBI clearance says NO DEROGATORY RECORD.. (like mine)

so like they get confused with different remarks.. IMO!

your wife's gonna be fine.. :yes:

goodluck and godbless..

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

here's the thread that ive read before..

i think your case abt the remarks is almost the same..

i hope this helps somehow..

"NO CRIMINAL RECORD" issue

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

&

&

This makes me wonder - when you are preparing your documents for your interview; they gave you a list of what they want. I don’t recall seeing anything on that list saying NBI Clearance (and Letter of Explanation) or ( Don’t bother getting the clearance- we don’t trust the NBI and we will have to investigate it ourselves anyway). No, it just says NBI Clearance. In our case it was notated “No Criminal Record” Duh! Maybe it’s supposed to say “Squeaky Clean”.

We had just overcome another boondoggle with the Medical Exam when they chose her to do the T.B. culture that extended our interview date by another six weeks. The culture came back negative -squeaky clean (we knew that when she took it) and now we have “hiccup number 2” - another delay and then probably some more stupidity. My wife has a squeaky clean record, never had anything to do with the law and we already know there is nothing that will pop out of the woodwork "Except” and I don't use that word lightly! She has a common Asian name equal to "Jane Smith" in the states. We are already anticipating a nightmare of these and wading through all these similar names and she will have to prove that she is not any of them except one.

Last but not least, I went with her granddaughter and the boyfriend to get a Tourist Visas (Non-Immigrant). They were both refused, with the interviewer (as usual) not looking at all the back up documents or letting them explain. Her granddaughter just had a ten year visa expire and was looking for a renewal. This was with 4 trips to the states and never once over staying or breaking any of the rules - go figure. Now it takes over $500 American dollars to request a re-evaluation. This embassy reminds me of the state troopers where I come from and their quotas for handing out speeding tickets. All this money just because of a wimp with a “I’m in Power” ego that can simply put a check mark (for refused) with the swipe of pen and not even looking at the supporting documents that would prove him or her wrong.

By the way, while I’m still on my band wagon - have you ever looked around when you’re in there and asked yourself “Am I in the U.S. Embassy or the Philippine Embassy”? and “Where the hell are the Americans in this place hiding”? Go to entrance - Philippine guards, go through security - again Philippine Personnel. Go into the Immigrant, Non-Immigrant or Dept. of Homeland Security - ditto. The kicker is the Social Security and Veteran’s Administration areas - look around and see how many Americans are sitting with you. Are you wondering why the Social Security is going broke and where are all my fellow veterans’ ????. Good Morning Viet Nam.

Hi there~ I am so glad you posted your experience with this NBI thingy. You and my Mom is actually on the same boat and she was interviewed yesterday, she was advised to pay her visa but the Consul said they just have to do a review about her NBI case... i have no idea how long it will take, the lady who helped her said, it could take another 3-4 weeks??? that long??? really? I don't mind waiting that long as long as they deliver her passport with a visa, you know what I mean? but if they responded and wanting more docs from NBI, that's going to delay more, don't you think?

So, I am not sure where you stand tight now, have you heard from Embassy or Delbros yet?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i guess there's nothing u can do but submit whatever they need to make ur papers move..goodluck and God bless!

Love is an unexpected thing...and when it arrives grab it with all ur heart....it may pass u jsut once.......

1_217966694l.jpg

11.20.07 : mailed I130

01.23.08 : NOA1

04.21.08 : mailed I129F

04.22.08 : NOA1

05.14.08 : NOA2 both for I 130 and I 129F

06.26.08 : medical exam 2nd day PASSED!!

07.09.08 : interview day! PASSED! PINK SLIP!

07.15.08 : visa on hand!!!

08.01.08 : POE SFO (home with my papi!)

• 7 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance and I have just gone thru the same process and still no Visa. Long story but will tyr to make shorter. Her middle name on her birth certificate was spelled wrong It should have been spelled ROGERO but instead a bright Filpina spelled it ROHERO so the attorney her told me that all had to macth so we hired an attorney there that said he could have it corrected in 3 weeks great news......that was in Jan 2008. It took 4 months becos the Judge decided to take a leave. So after all the investigation we found out her middle name was neither Rohero or Rogero becos her mothers father and mother were never married so she couldnt use her fathers last name of Rogero. So the attorney said we had to change her name to her mother maiden name of Lumbab ok we thought all was well at this point so we sent the I129f in July of 2008 we finally got a NOA2 the last of Feb. She went for the interview and all was well except the consulate want another NBI clearnace of the name Rohero and a New cenomar with that name. This was on March 17th her interview. She took the papers back to Manila on the 30th of March and dropped them off. They did keep her passport but it is now the 17th of April and we have not heard anything. So do you have any idea what the heck they are looking for.

We tryed so hard to do all legal by the laws of the United Staes of America.

I have emailed to the consulate in Manila and no response. I dont want to piss them off becos they hold the key to the lock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did call and the lady at the embassy told me it is still under review, have u ever in ur life heard of anything like this. I know if you make a mistake on ur income tax in their favor they are Johnny on the spot to want it.

I t has now been 16 months since we originally started this process.

&

&

• 2 years later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I need to bump this posting, my wife's father had the same issue, come to find out he has a case back in 1980 that was dropped somebody hit the taxi he is driving and the person put a case against him then dropped it. this still shoed up in the NBI they need to go to the fiscal office and get a letter stating this was dropped and bring it to NBI to get cleared. NBI said the embassy sends them list of people that needed further investigation so they need this fiscal paperwork asap so when the list comes from embassy they can reply that the case has been cleared. hopefully this is a short process

I got the same case. Speaking on my own experience. My NBI annotation is also "NO CRIMINAL RECORD" and I was given a 221(g) to acquire the Letter of Explanation from the NBI. NO CRIMINAL RECORD status means that you may have a pending case from the court that was filed and not dismissed, you the same name with criminal case. Anyway, I was interviewed August 5 and got my visa approved September 9. This schedule i got is based on my own experienced:

Interview - August 5

August 8 - I went to NBI and showed them my 221g and they told me that I should bring the letter of request from USEM for them to process the document I need. FYI, the people from NBI are very accomodating and it is not true that they are asking money to fix your documents. Always bear in mind that just always be honest and dont bribe.

August 9 - I called USEM and ask the status of the letter, they told me to wait for two weeks and I will receive a letter (snail mail) from them.

From August 9 upto August 22 - every other day I kept on calling the NBI - I AM THE VERY PINAKAMAKULIT

August 22 - I called USEM and they told me that they are ready to send the snail mail and they told me that I can also pick it up and go directly to the NBI to have my interview (yes, the NBI will interview you because of you NBI annotation. The same day I went to the NBI, handed them my letter from USEM and they advice me to go to the Quality Control for the interview). Aske them when they will send the Letter of Explanation and the interviewee told me the same week, Friday, August 26

To be honest, I had a dismissed case from Manila Trial Court and prior to my interview and during application I already gather all the pertinent document needed (since I have a "NO CRIMINAL RECORD" annotation and during the time I got my NBI I ask them the information - take note I AM REALLY PINAKAMAKULIT)> I did not hire a lawyer because it will cause me a lot, so i do it on my own. When I got all the documents, I also sent them to my husband to include it to my CR1 Application form.

August 30 - called USEM and inquire if the letter of explanation has already been sent to them, OLA! its with them already. The lasdy i talked to told me to wait again for about 2-3 weeks to get the status of my visa.

August 30 - September 6 (exclude Sat/Sun) - I called USEM and to my dismayed the status of my VISA was stil on process.

September 8 - Called USEM again for the status - stil in final process. So I freak out and vented out to the lady. I told her the journey i went just to complete and comply for the requirements. Yes the CO did not told me if I am approved or Not. He just told me "All my documents are ok, maligayang paglalakbay".I also told her that I just received the letter of explanation just last September 6 so if I waited for the snailmail, I've waited for another 4 weeks, 1 month to be exact! (Oh well I freaked out but talking to her nicely anyway).

September 12 - - I called USEM again. GOOD NEWS is our VISA is APPROVED! (me and my daughter).

Anotherr waiting game is the delivery. Since I am the PINAKAMAKULIT, everyday I called USEM and 2Go for the Visa Delivery sad part is mine isn't with 2GO yet but my daughter's visa is already in transit. If I havent received mine this week, then they will receive and everyday call from me, lol.

I suggest that you checked with NBI why she got the annotation of "NO CRIMINAL RECORD" and if there's a need to get the documents, do it asap.

I can help your wife/fiance while I am still here. Just be persistent to call USEM and NBI.

• 10 months later...

Its funny my wife had similar story 3 years later on same day which is today. All was good till she got to last counter. Then she was handed letter stating she needed new NBI with added AKA for her other names. But same it was never mentioned in checklist and was never brought up in interview as well. She is worried now that she has failed interview and wont get visa. is this true can they fail you or if you just send in what they want you will get visa?

• 2 years later...
Filed: Other Timeline

i remember my cousin used to tell me that you have to wait long hours for your certificate and there was long lines and people at the windows are grumpy at NBI satellite offices. i go to DMV and SS office here and i never encountered grumpy people even the room was packed.

Edited by minions2

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, Glocil said:

Is this no criminal record on file is still a Big issue at the USEm? 

You know you responded to a thread that is over 9 years old right? No, it is not a big deal at all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.