*JG*

Angel Food Ministries

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

More info directly from their web site:

There are no qualifications, minimums, income restrictions, or applications.

Everyone is encouraged to participate. Some churches even encourage participants to apply the money they saved to help someone else in need.

PURCHASING ANGEL FOOD

There are no restrictions, conditions or forms to fill out to purchase Angel Food. The food relief program is open to one and all. Anyone may purchase an unlimited number of boxes of Angel Food by placing an order with a local Angel Food host site. FIND A LOCAL HOST SITE NOW.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food wholesalers work on a different marketing plan that nets them a boatload more cash than a not-for profit food subsidy. Note I did not use the word charitable anywhere there- there are not-for profits where overhead costs can be lowered via tax-deductible donations. Not to knock on you there, but you should know that having an economics background.

Six of one. Half a dozen of another. Not for profit is similar to a charity. If these guys gave the stuff away they would be a charity.

Some act as if this is a special deal from Costco.

Hint: Why do you think they are handed out by churches etc?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

By buying food from first rate suppliers at substantial volume discounts, Angel Food Ministries is able to provide families with approximately $65 worth of quality nutritious food for $30. Angel Food Ministries does not use out-of-date food or inferior products.

ABOUT THE FOOD

Each month's menu is different and consists of fresh, frozen and packaged food. Angel Food is purchased from the nation’s top food suppliers. Providing quality, nutritious food at significant discounts on a regular basis is one practical way to give people a “hand up” during difficult times. The cost for a box of Angel Food is $30. There is no purchase limit for boxes of Angel Food. There are no applications or qualifications necessary to purchase. VIEW OUR MENU

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Angel Food Reaches Hundreds of Soldiers at Barksdale AFB

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/news/article.asp?id=3

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Food wholesalers work on a different marketing plan that nets them a boatload more cash than a not-for profit food subsidy. Note I did not use the word charitable anywhere there- there are not-for profits where overhead costs can be lowered via tax-deductible donations. Not to knock on you there, but you should know that having an economics background.

Six of one. Half a dozen of another. Not for profit is similar to a charity. If these guys gave the stuff away they would be a charity.

Because church's help people with the underlying mission not to discriminate.

What does it cost my church to sign up to become a host site?

There is a one time $50 application fee which covers all of your training materials. If for some reason your church is not approved you will be refunded this fee. Once you become a host site Angel Food Ministries donates $1 per regular unit to the host churches benevolent fund. Since its inception, Angel Food Ministries has contributed over $12 million into host benevolence funds.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Er, the food packages are not handed out, they're purchased.

And there is a distinct difference between a charity and a nonprofit organization--you seem to be confusing/equating the two, and this program with a food bank.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

And there is a distinct difference between a charity and a nonprofit organization--you seem to be confusing/equating the two, and this program with a food bank.

Um actually that was my point. The program is obviously designed for those in need. Not for tight asses who have no shame exploiting a service designed to prevent people from going hungry.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ditto-e

Um actually that was my point. The program is obviously designed for those in need. Not for tight asses who have no shame exploiting a service designed to prevent people from going hungry.

If they designed the program for equal access to all, then that is not designing the program specifically for those in need. Read their website's 'aboout' section.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
How I Think Angel Food Ministries Can Offer Such Great Deals!

But What Do I Know - It's Just My Best Guess

I've often wondered "how do they do it?"

Of course, Angel Food Ministries is a 501c3 non profit that exists to promote a service so that helps a little, but non profits still pay the same overhead everybody else does.

So how do they save you so much money?

Here's what I came up with.

Every major grocery store chain has the same kind of centralized distribution warehouse that Angel Food Ministries essentially functions as.

They have to charge more for the same or similar items because they have brick and mortar real estate to keep up.

Angel Food Ministries works through local churches as host sites. The local church provides the building once per month and supplies the volunteers to pack your order. The volunteers take the orders and handle the local distribution because they care about people and want to help! They donate their time and service. These two things alone account for the bulk of the savings!

Here's what that does:

In a sense, we're getting about the same price as the retail store gets (or something like that).

Angel Food Ministries doesn't have to charge the retail price to us because the host sites offer their services to folks like us for free. Angel Food Ministries compensates them at the rate (last I checked) of $1 per basic box... not much for all the work the folks do.

So it's like being able to operate a major national grocery store operation with

1. No rent

2. No utilities

3. No payroll

4. No advertising expense

5. No insurance (except for their warehouse and administrative staff)

6. No plastic grocery bags or paper bags (you bring the box remember?)

7. No shopping carts

8. No coupons to process

9. No product sitting on "shelves" getting old therefore ...

10. No loss due to spoilage

11. No loss to shoplifting

Wal Mart should be so lucky to eliminate all these costs! But they can't... Angel Food Ministries CAN!

Hey, I'll take those savings any day - or at least monthly thanks to Angel Food Ministries! Won't you?

http://www.squidoo.com/angelfoodministries

mvSuprise-hug.gif

If they designed the program for equal access to all, then that is not designing the program specifically for those in need. Read their website's 'aboout' section.

If you need the money bro, I will buy you a box..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you need the money bro, I will buy you a box..

Homeboy remember those 4K- 2K for me and 2K for some dude in NW DC... :lol:

At least I'll hook you up with a Fosters.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Homeboy remember those 4K- 2K for me and 2K for some dude in NW DC... :lol:

At least I'll hook you up with a Fosters.

I prefer Michelob here in the States. Hard to find Lowenbrau or Carlsburg.

Timeline

That is an awesome link, Marilyn. Thank you.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Obviously they are not going to discriminate but this is clearly subsidized / donated food for those who cannot afford it. I don't believe this is designed for everyone to get a cheap meal. There is nothing worse than people who can afford something abusing something available for those who are struggling.

There is a girl I know who used to regularly go to thrift stores, obviously for the less fortunate, solely so she could get a bargain.

I shop at thrift stores. Does that make me a bad person?

Actually, I run a conference of an international charity organization and our conference is solely responsible for providing food and toy donations to roughly 6 parishes at Christmas time. There is a distinct difference between a charity organization and a not-for-profit organization. The school I work for is designated as a not-for-profit. The charity I run is a designated non-profit CHARITY. The school, not-for-profit, exists due to donations, funding from the archdiocese, tuition, and auction and other fundraising. While the charity does get some (very minor) funding, the majority of what is used to run the organization is donations. Our food and toys boxes are given out to those in need. "Given out" being the key words.

I've heard of Angel Ministries and though there isn't one in our area, it is a wonderful thing they do. The money that people spend to buy the boxes of food from this ministry goes back into what they use to help out others in need. No one is ripping them off. And frankly, I doubt you'd find too many people with large disposable incomes "stooping to this level." Most people I know who have never had any financial need wouldn't bother, as they'd find it too demeaning.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi