emmulator

Any Doctor Will Tell You...

98 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I'll just chip in true Ukrainian's prospective :). Why we do swear on getting colds from "house wind" created by open windows/doors and horrible concequenses of seating on the granit for females, I've never ever heard that it might be unhealthy not to achieve "full release"...

P.S. Iodine and soda do work for sore throats, though. I wish I could get it into my fiance's head :)

My husband has tried more than once to treat me with iodine gargle, mustard plasters and lack of fresh air. We usually play musical windows all winter. I run around opening windows to get some relief from the +25C temperature (because the radiator can't be adjusted or turned off!) and he's right behind me shutting all the windows to save me from the evil draft. :blink:

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

While I was also unfamiliar with the negative consequences of arousal without release for women, I can share some other beliefs commonly held in Romania:

- walking out of the house with your hair slightly damp causes meningitis;

- not just sitting, but also walking barefoot on the floor of your house damages the female reproductive tract (it causes you to "catch a cold in your uterus");

- not wearing a hat or headscarf in windy weather causes ear infections;

- drafts are, as anyone will tell you, the cause of numerous ailments ranging from colds to sore muscles;

- it is unhealthy to shampoo more than once a week;

- birth control pills are not so good because they contain male hormones and cause body hair to grow in abundance (this from my DOCTOR!).

US Citizen since August 09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
My husband has tried more than once to treat me with iodine gargle, mustard plasters and lack of fresh air. We usually play musical windows all winter. I run around opening windows to get some relief from the +25C temperature (because the radiator can't be adjusted or turned off!) and he's right behind me shutting all the windows to save me from the evil draft. :blink:

Oh my, must've been a shocker for you at first :) Did he also try to make you do vodka shots with pepper? The belief that it helps is oh so common in Ukraine too. Another common thing to do is cognac shots for low blood pressure. Hm... are we just looking for reasons to do a shot??? :blink:

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

Timeline

Although this doesn't deal with health... When in Ukraine, my girlfriend will not allow me to whistle. She tells me that I will bring horrible financial hardship to the owner of the home or business. Yikes! Are you kidding me??

And if she blushes, she says it is because someone is thinking about her. At first, I just thought it was a cute saying, but then our Interpreter corrected me, and told me that it is the TRUTH! "Everyone one knows it to be true", I was told...

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The whistling one used to annoy me so much... but now I find myself alone, starting to whistle, then thinking "oops I am losing all my money!!" so I stop... I guess I have been recruited :(

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

My husband has tried more than once to treat me with....... lack of fresh air.

My wife gets mad at me whenever I release some unfresh air.

However, there is a double standard here because when she releases unfresh air, it smells like roses.

The whistling one used to annoy me so much... but now I find myself alone, starting to whistle, then thinking "oops I am losing all my money!!" so I stop... I guess I have been recruited :(

Me too. I still whistle when I'm by myself, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I have to laugh because so much of this sounds familiar. I am beginning to believe that no matter what your ailment is, there is a tea that will cure you. Our home has so many different teas that I was considering buying a cabinet just to keep them in. Although my wife does know a great deal about home remedies including herbs and spices and what cures they provide, at times I am a little surprised by the responses of what one should do to avoid illness.

My wife likes to let her ice cream melt because of course, it is not good for you to ingest such cold food. She refuses to take water at a restaurant that has ice in it and tends to leave the milk out getting warm. So, I'm constantly following behind to put things back into the refrigerator. And this whole thing about drafts is just a little dated to me. Of course, stay out of drafts if you are ill, but then, put on a sweater or jacket and you will be fine.

Oh, and Slim. My mother had a saying, "Where ever you may be, let it be free". So let it rip.

Timeline
Although this doesn't deall with health... When in Ukraine, my girlfriend will not allow me to whistle. She tells me that I will bring horrible financial hardship to the owner of the home or business. Yikes! Are you kidding me??

And if she blushes, she says it is because someone is thinking about her. At first, I just thought it was a cute saying, but then our Interpreter corrected me, and told me that it is the TRUTH! "Everyone one knows it to be true", I was told...

:rofl: Oh, my, feel so weird to be Ukrainian :) We do have a lot of superstitions, that's for sure. And majority of them are believed to be truth set in stone :blink:

As to the blushing thing, :blush: they say you can check if you are hot/shy or someone is trash talking you by taking a golden ring, pressing it to the cheek and "drawing" a line. If nothing appears, u are fine. But if there is a black line left by the ring someone is at it about you :) I know, sounds silly to most of people, but I still remember middle school and pressure to find a golden ring ASAP to know "the truth" LOL

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

The last time I was in Ukraine, I watched a doctor add a number of herb compounds to his prescription list for my Viktoria. One of the compounds came in what looked like a toothpaste tube, smelled absolutely vile, and was to be taken with tea and honey (what a surprise). She said the stuff immediately made her feel better, but actually getting it down was a challenge. It looked like faith healing to me, but whatever makes her feel better.... :)

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

The last time I was in Ukraine, I watched a doctor add a number of herb compounds to his prescription list for my Viktoria. One of the compounds came in what looked like a toothpaste tube, smelled absolutely vile, and was to be taken with tea and honey (what a surprise). She said the stuff immediately made her feel better, but actually getting it down was a challenge. It looked like faith healing to me, but whatever makes her feel better.... :)

And herein lies the problem.

When she comes here the dr. isn't going to give her a tube of goo to mix with tea. In the two minutes that he sees her he'll conclude she has the common cold and then she's going to get a piece of paper for some amoxicilin and it's "not going to work" because the dr. missed the most important part of that rx the Ukrainian dr. gave her..... "Awwwww. It's too bad you don't feel well. I'll make something special just for you. Enjoy it with some warm tea and honey and pamper yourself and rest all day."

Dr. here says, "you're not really that sick, take this, get some rest, and I'll see you for $120 more dollars in a week."

That's the part I don't like and that's why I don't go to the dr. when I have the sniffles. My wife expects us to get the VIP treatment in the ER because her nose is running. There is a HUGE difference in expectations and treatments but it doesn't change the actual ailments.

I have no problem using "home remedies" when something doesn't feel right but I have big problems with paying large amounts of money to treat symptoms of common problems. I refuse to pay several hundred dollars to get treatment for a common cold. I also refuse to "pamper" anyone because their nose is running. Whether it's part of a cultural difference matters not. When we go back to the FSU, she can get all the treatments she wants from whatever doctors she wants. But, since we're here, she's going to get treated by the dr. here and do what he tells her to do. And that is only if we go.

I have very strict triage rules.

You don't feel good? Put some tussin on it, wait a few days, you'll feel better.

You're "sick"? Take some tussin, wait a few days, you'll feel better.

You hurt yourself? RICE it for a few days, you'll feel better.

Unless I see bodily fluid loss or difficulty breathing, we're not going to the hospital in anything under a week. Injuries that could result in loss of life, limb or sight equals an instant trip to the ER, but anything else equals some OTC meds and a week of sleeping more than normal. If that doesn't whack it, maybe we can go to the doctor.

Cruel, unusual, mean?

NO! Just common sense. 90% of "sickness" goes away after a week if you let it take it's course. Why should I pay hundreds of dollars for "treatment" that I could do myself?

But, you're going to be hard pressed to find an S/O from the FSU that agrees with me because she's still going to want someone to pamper her into feeling better.

I simply will not do that.

I also will not "medicate" a common cold. Too many people (westerners) have weak immune systems because every time their throat tickles they go straight to the dr. and get an rx for something. Every time they get a fever they're there. Every time they cough it's more medicine.

I equate someone (easterners) who needs a glass of hot tea and a massage whenver they don't feel good to the person above. Both need a "treatment" for something that will naturally disappear on it's own if allowed to do so. Either way, their self-reliance is downgraded a bit each time they get "treated." I won't have those around me downgrading their self-reliance and insisting I "take care of them" when they're perfectly capable of doing so themselves.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline
All these "pains" are very much a part of Slavic culture. In America we look at physical problems as something that should be attended to swiftly and efficiently with little or no whining involved. Take a pill, get an operation, get it fixed. But Slavic culture views ailments or physical complaints as something to be tended to by loving, caring family and friends. A quick fix with a pill is NOT accepted as a correct treatment. Family members are expected to offer love and comfort with hot teas, massage with medicinal creams, hot compresses and special foods. Even a trip to the doctor results in comforting advice and concern along with an RX.

The best way to treat your wife's pains is to be sympathetic, make hot compresses and cups of tea with lemon and honey. Massage her back and get a warm scarf for her neck. You are not dealing with mysterious illnesses, you are dealing with cultural differences that all those $$$ won't cure.

In other words your wife is seeking demonstrations of love from you. The more logic you give her the more "pains" she will develope.

I usually make her a warm glass of "shut the hell up." Probably not as effective as your method described above but I'm not a medical expert, especially not an Eastern medical expert. Munchausen syndrome gets no play in this house.

When she was working overtime at a the mom and pop restaurant and complained about her feet hurting, back hurting, wrists, etc., I had sympathy and suggested a workout regimen to combat the fatigue her body was starting to feel. If she would've listened to me and built up the muscles and flexibility required to sustain long work days she wouldn't have had so much pain. Instead, she suggested creams, oils, hot baths, warm tea and plenty of massaging and pampering by me. I'm happy to comply while she's working 40+ hours a week and has cause for aches and pains. However, it's an entirely different story when she works part time logging less than 20 hours a week.

I would love to be able to kill the aches and pains she feels. But, after visiting several doctors and noting how the aches and pains correspond with other emotional lows in her life, I'm more inclined to believe this is a mild form of malingering moreso than actual physical pain. Regardless of what it is or where it comes from it's not going to be dealt with by hugs and kisses, tender massages with warm oil, a warm scarf lovingly draped around her neck... it will be dealt with by overcoming a physical problem. If there is no physical problem then there is no problem, period.

One of these days folks on this forum are going to realize their S/O is here in the U.S. now and all the "#######" they brought with them needs to disappear in short order. I'm not saying they should lose their cultural identity but I am saying while they're in America they need to be doing American stuff. At minimum, they shouldn't be limited to not doing American stuff because of cultural issues. "I can't work over 40 hours a week because my feet hurt and you not make for me foot massage" is complete ####### and it needs to end.

There comes a time when the cultural crutch needs to break and folks start walking unaided.

(Good luck getting it to work in your house. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong about this. Maybe if I would pamper my wife a little more she would be able to work like a normal person. To me though, I don't see pampering after an 18 hour work-week helping her transition into a 46 hour work-week. But, once again, like most other things in my marriage, I'm probably wrong.)

Slim,

I hate to argue with you but I think I have to. I think what your wife is expecting out of you is something to blame you for. Russian men are not that "gentle" or "spoiling" so don't think that because she's asking you for massages and etc and the other ####### that it means she brought it with your from Russia. I am more than 99% sure that she didn't get that back home from her EX's. Perhaps you spoiled her with your tenderness and caring and she's expecting it. By no means I am saying that Russian/Ukrainian guys are bad or a$$holes( i am from ukraine and dated only russian/ukrainian guys and married a ukrainian guy)I am just saying that i've seen it many times, ladies with american men are MUCH MORE spoiled than those girls with russian/ukrainina men. Sure, russian/ukrainian men do care about their ladies but I just think that american men spoil russian/ukrainian women much more than russian/ukrainian men.

Edited by NYGirl

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

When she comes here the dr. isn't going to give her a tube of goo to mix with tea. In the two minutes that he sees her he'll conclude she has the common cold and then she's going to get a piece of paper for some amoxicilin and it's "not going to work" because the dr. missed the most important part of that rx the Ukrainian dr. gave her..... "Awwwww. It's too bad you don't feel well. I'll make something special just for you. Enjoy it with some warm tea and honey and pamper yourself and rest all day."

Dr. here says, "you're not really that sick, take this, get some rest, and I'll see you for $120 more dollars in a week."

That's the part I don't like and that's why I don't go to the dr. when I have the sniffles. My wife expects us to get the VIP treatment in the ER because her nose is running. There is a HUGE difference in expectations and treatments but it doesn't change the actual ailments.

I have no problem using "home remedies" when something doesn't feel right but I have big problems with paying large amounts of money to treat symptoms of common problems. I refuse to pay several hundred dollars to get treatment for a common cold. I also refuse to "pamper" anyone because their nose is running. Whether it's part of a cultural difference matters not. When we go back to the FSU, she can get all the treatments she wants from whatever doctors she wants. But, since we're here, she's going to get treated by the dr. here and do what he tells her to do. And that is only if we go.

You don't feel good? Put some tussin on it, wait a few days, you'll feel better.

Unless I see bodily fluid loss or difficulty breathing, we're not going to the hospital in anything under a week. Injuries that could result in loss of life, limb or sight equals an instant trip to the ER, but anything else equals some OTC meds and a week of sleeping more than normal. If that doesn't whack it, maybe we can go to the doctor.

Cruel, unusual, mean?

NO! Just common sense. 90% of "sickness" goes away after a week if you let it take it's course. Why should I pay hundreds of dollars for "treatment" that I could do myself?

But, you're going to be hard pressed to find an S/O from the FSU that agrees with me because she's still going to want someone to pamper her into feeling better.

I also will not "medicate" a common cold. Too many people (westerners) have weak immune systems because every time their throat tickles they go straight to the dr. and get an rx for something. Every time they get a fever they're there. Every time they cough it's more medicine.

I equate someone (easterners) who needs a glass of hot tea and a massage whenver they don't feel good to the person above. Both need a "treatment" for something that will naturally disappear on it's own if allowed to do so. Either way, their self-reliance is downgraded a bit each time they get "treated." I won't have those around me downgrading their self-reliance and insisting I "take care of them" when they're perfectly capable of doing so themselves.

I left Ukraine when I was 11 and don't remember how doctgro treated you but I know doctor here treat you better than back home. Back there no one cares and gives you the sh*ttiest treatments while here it's different.

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

90% of "sickness" goes away after a week if you let it take it's course. Why should I pay hundreds of dollars for "treatment" that I could do myself?

I generally agree and was raised in the same principle by my very Spartan, no-nonsense father. However, with all our self-sufficiency and tough upbringing, the trick is not to overlook those 10% of "sicknesses" that are non-conspicuous but still dangerous and could cause serious consequences. I did overlook one, when I was 23 and started getting very slight symptoms, but kept thinking sports and fresh air can cure everything and there's no reason to run to doctors. The cost of my arrogance: a year spent in hospitals and a huge ugly scar across my neck.

Now I listen to myself and pamper whenever possible, for fear of overlooking important things.

P.S. Herbal teas are awesome!

P.P.S. Google Rules!!!

Edited by Blues Fairy

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Cruel, unusual, mean?

Like I said before, every one is entitled to run their house the way they see fit. Personally, I don't mind making tea occasionally. If Vika thinks herbs help her feel better - also fine. I suspect that either way, in about seven days, she will be much better. With or without tea, herbs, tylenol, antibiotcs, or a massage. In other words, hot tea probably works just about as well as a trip to the GP, but costs less. Also, if you administer the cure, guess who gets credit for it (in seven days). Just a thought....

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.