emmulator

Any Doctor Will Tell You...

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Although this doesn't deall with health... When in Ukraine, my girlfriend will not allow me to whistle. She tells me that I will bring horrible financial hardship to the owner of the home or business. Yikes! Are you kidding me??

And if she blushes, she says it is because someone is thinking about her. At first, I just thought it was a cute saying, but then our Interpreter corrected me, and told me that it is the TRUTH! "Everyone one knows it to be true", I was told...

:rofl: Oh, my, feel so weird to be Ukrainian :) We do have a lot of superstitions, that's for sure. And majority of them are believed to be truth set in stone :blink:

As to the blushing thing, :blush: they say you can check if you are hot/shy or someone is trash talking you by taking a golden ring, pressing it to the cheek and "drawing" a line. If nothing appears, u are fine. But if there is a black line left by the ring someone is at it about you :) I know, sounds silly to most of people, but I still remember middle school and pressure to find a golden ring ASAP to know "the truth" LOL

The golden ring thing actually will leave a mark (often looks just like writing on paper with a pencil) if you are iron deficient. It only works with real gold though.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you spoiled her with your tenderness and caring and she's expecting it.

:lol: Wow! I can only imagine the stream of Russian mat you would hear if she read this! "My husband care too much about me and make for me too much comfort? Shto za h........"

I really doubt this is the case and just for the record, according to her, my wife was treated like a queen by every man she ever met because she deserved it and they were so lucky have been graced with her presence. Now whether that's just BS or not, (and I know even she doesn't believe her own BS) I believe she told it to me in order to set the bar high and the expectation that I would give her tenderness and caring whenever she indicated it was necessary, no matter how trivial.

I'm just not buying it. I will however, go along with your theory above and try to be less pampering next time she gets the sniffles.

I did overlook one, when I was 23 and started getting very slight symptoms, but kept thinking sports and fresh air can cure everything and there's no reason to run to doctors. The cost of my arrogance: a year spent in hospitals and a huge ugly scar across my neck.

There are some things that can't be overlooked and should be checked out by a doctor. If you have a persistent problem for more than a week or two you should get it checked out. But, if you go to the doctor, and then another doctor, and then another doctor and they still don't find anything wrong, it's time to either STFU or find a new method of diagnosis and treatment.

I'm 100% behind getting REAL PROBLEMS fixed. I'm not for pampering a woman for the better part of six months while she skips work and school because she "doesn't feel good" and would rather sit at home and drink hot tea with honey than go to work. If she chooses to do that, OK. But, don't complain to me when we don't have enough money for something else you want to do. If you want to do something and it costs a lot of money, put the hot tea down and go to work.

Pretty simple.

In other words, hot tea probably works just about as well as a trip to the GP, but costs less. Also, if you administer the cure, guess who gets credit for it (in seven days). Just a thought....

You may get credit (or may not) but guess who's then expected to make everything else that's negative go away thorough the same treatment?

"I not feel good because today I so busy in my job. You must make for me hot tea and foot massage. I want soup, you must cook for me. Why we not go on vacation? Why you not work second job so we have money? Why you never make me feel good? Why? Why? Why?"

SHTO ZA H...........!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

You may get credit (or may not) but guess who's then expected to make everything else that's negative go away thorough the same treatment?

"I not feel good because today I so busy in my job. You must make for me hot tea and foot massage. I want soup, you must cook for me. Why we not go on vacation? Why you not work second job so we have money? Why you never make me feel good? Why? Why? Why?"

SHTO ZA H...........!

Point taken :lol:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

SHTO ZA H...........!

:rofl: U crack me up :) I guess I better start listing my "pampering" expectations to my fiance now :)

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

Timeline
The golden ring thing actually will leave a mark (often looks just like writing on paper with a pencil) if you are iron deficient. It only works with real gold though.

:blink: Never knew that... interesting... That means all of blushing kids in my middle school were iron deficient, cause we did see a lot of those dark marks after the "ring" test. And you're right, silver never worked

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline
You are looking in all the wrong places for this topic. Try www.ellegirl.ru and www.cosmo.ru. These and any other female audience magazines give Russian girls and women advice on lots of health topics, especially sex. The articles are always written by Russian doctors who are just as popular and respected in Russia and Ukraine as are the American doctor/authors over here. And the advice is frequently along the lines of your Украинка's theory. So your best bet is not to fight the cultural belief but figure out how to work with it! These magazines will have not only the "problem" but advice on how to solve it (all from a source your honey will believe!)

I would try this advice, except I can't read Russian yet. :) I did go to those sites though, and noticed a link to www.maxim.ru -- I think maybe I'd find the kind of advice I'm looking for there, if only I could read it! :)

Actually, if anyone has seen any article on any site (in any language) that deals with my original topic, I'd be interested. I can always get it translated.

I'll just chip in true Ukrainian's prospective. :) Why we do swear on getting colds from "house wind" created by open windows/doors and horrible concequenses of seating on the granit for females, I've never ever heard that it might be unhealthy not to achieve "full release"...

Thanks for this -- it's good to hear that this isn't universal knowledge for all Ukrainians -- that gives me hope. :) I'm wondering if maybe even she just misunderstood something that someone said to her at some point, and since these topics don't come up very often, she's never actually been corrected. For example, maybe she misunderstood the bit about celibacy or abstinence being unhealthy.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

On cosmo.ru they say not to pierce your nipples because the purpose of boobs is to nurse children and that STAYING OUT IN THE SUN TOO LONG WILL AGGRAVATE GYNECOLOGICAL DISEASES and mess with your period. ahahahahahahahha hahahhjashadshjkdshjkhkadsklsd. That is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

http://www.cosmo.ru/mirror/your_health/355604/

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

:rofl: U crack me up :) I guess I better start listing my "pampering" expectations to my fiance now :)

Start early, remind often. Don't just spring it on him all at once or it's likely he won't buy it. "You were fine for like six months.... what happened?"

and noticed a link to www.maxim.ru -- I think maybe I'd find the kind of advice I'm looking for there, if only I could read it! :)

You don't actually need to be able to read maxim.ru..... there are some very nice pictures. Plus, the articles are the same as what we see here in the U.S. version but they may not be from the same issue. They move them around a month or two. There are actually maxim mags all around the world and they're all pretty similar... some have "local" celebs and "local" women in them but they all feature pretty much the same stories, ####### and fart jokes, and pictures of semi-clad hoochie mamas. You will find a little less semi in the European versions than in, say, the Asian or U.S. versions, and that's why a trip over to maxim.ru is never a bad idea.

Using the "advice" found in maxim, whether here or there, is never a good idea when dealing with your S/O. For some reason, the advice in maxim makes sense to us, but they just don't get it. Stick to the Cosmo and Elle and you'll be the "best husband ever in 60 days!" (Good pics over there too, by the way.)

On cosmo.ru they say not to pierce your nipples because the purpose of boobs is to nurse children and that STAYING OUT IN THE SUN TOO LONG WILL AGGRAVATE GYNECOLOGICAL DISEASES and mess with your period. ahahahahahahahha hahahhjashadshjkdshjkhkadsklsd. That is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

http://www.cosmo.ru/mirror/your_health/355604/

There is some truth to all of that.

Sun is necessary to "synthesize" vitamin D which is necessary for calcium absorbtion and overall health throgh maintaining healthy levels of other minerals (iron comes to mind... especially when dealing with periods) and phosphates thus keeping a woman "balanced." We all know that a woman who is not "balanced" will have a messed up period (well, more messed up than average) and it's possible that keeping an uneven balance for too long would complicate gynecological diseases.

Nipples are for nursing children and even though a piercing isn't necessarily going to mess that up, it could. In a place like Russia, family is still in high regard and for a woman to do anything that could possibly jeopardize her abilitly to nurse children it is common practice to advise avoiding this.

In a place like Russia it's not hard for a woman to avoid sunlight for long periods of time. If she does this, it could throw off her "balance" and if she does this with pierced nipples she's not only going to be "unbalanced" but she's never going to be able to nurse children. An unbalanced woman that can't nurse children? Who's going to marry her? And isn't that what cosmo is all about? Finding the best husband? (Or at least, making yourself the best woman so you can then find the best husband?)

Personally, I believe the advice given above is spot-on! Way to go cosmo.ru!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
There is some truth to all of that.

Sun is necessary to "synthesize" vitamin D which is necessary for calcium absorbtion and overall health throgh maintaining healthy levels of other minerals (iron comes to mind... especially when dealing with periods) and phosphates thus keeping a woman "balanced." We all know that a woman who is not "balanced" will have a messed up period (well, more messed up than average) and it's possible that keeping an uneven balance for too long would complicate gynecological diseases.

Nipples are for nursing children and even though a piercing isn't necessarily going to mess that up, it could. In a place like Russia, family is still in high regard and for a woman to do anything that could possibly jeopardize her abilitly to nurse children it is common practice to advise avoiding this.

In a place like Russia it's not hard for a woman to avoid sunlight for long periods of time. If she does this, it could throw off her "balance" and if she does this with pierced nipples she's not only going to be "unbalanced" but she's never going to be able to nurse children. An unbalanced woman that can't nurse children? Who's going to marry her? And isn't that what cosmo is all about? Finding the best husband? (Or at least, making yourself the best woman so you can then find the best husband?)

Personally, I believe the advice given above is spot-on! Way to go cosmo.ru!

All of the above could be solved by hormonal birth control, which Russians also are scared of.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline
Perhaps you spoiled her with your tenderness and caring and she's expecting it.

:lol: Wow! I can only imagine the stream of Russian mat you would hear if she read this! "My husband care too much about me and make for me too much comfort? Shto za h........"

I really doubt this is the case and just for the record, according to her, my wife was treated like a queen by every man she ever met because she deserved it and they were so lucky have been graced with her presence. Now whether that's just BS or not, (and I know even she doesn't believe her own BS) I believe she told it to me in order to set the bar high and the expectation that I would give her tenderness and caring whenever she indicated it was necessary, no matter how trivial.

I'm just not buying it. I will however, go along with your theory above and try to be less pampering next time she gets the sniffles.

I did overlook one, when I was 23 and started getting very slight symptoms, but kept thinking sports and fresh air can cure everything and there's no reason to run to doctors. The cost of my arrogance: a year spent in hospitals and a huge ugly scar across my neck.

There are some things that can't be overlooked and should be checked out by a doctor. If you have a persistent problem for more than a week or two you should get it checked out. But, if you go to the doctor, and then another doctor, and then another doctor and they still don't find anything wrong, it's time to either STFU or find a new method of diagnosis and treatment.

I'm 100% behind getting REAL PROBLEMS fixed. I'm not for pampering a woman for the better part of six months while she skips work and school because she "doesn't feel good" and would rather sit at home and drink hot tea with honey than go to work. If she chooses to do that, OK. But, don't complain to me when we don't have enough money for something else you want to do. If you want to do something and it costs a lot of money, put the hot tea down and go to work.

Pretty simple.

In other words, hot tea probably works just about as well as a trip to the GP, but costs less. Also, if you administer the cure, guess who gets credit for it (in seven days). Just a thought....

SHTO ZA H...........!

That was hillarious :)

But..... i am not saying like "caring too much" i mean more in a sense "spoiling"

And perhaps you are right, she probably tells you all that BS about her exes just so that you would do the same.

Who knows, maybe she says it on purpose and thinks if she will tell you this and you "won't" do it then you might get scared that she'll leave you for another man who will give her all the pampering she deserves. Just a thought :)

Edited by NYGirl

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

Timeline
All of the above could be solved by hormonal birth control, which Russians also are scared of.

Don't even get me started about the the whole "pill" thing... It baffled me, the stringent resistance to taking the pill.

The pill remains unpopular in Russia and Ukraine. Abortion is free and readily available. Researching the topic, I read that the "average" 40 year-old Russian / Ukrainian woman has had at least 2 abortions. I started asking around... "what do you or your family use for birth control?" Some replied "condoms", but most replied "luck and a prayer"... Yet none admitted to ever having an abortion. When I asked why there was so much resistance to the pill, to my surprise the most common response was "because it causes weight gain!" :blink:

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline
and noticed a link to www.maxim.ru -- I think maybe I'd find the kind of advice I'm looking for there, if only I could read it! :)

Using the "advice" found in maxim, whether here or there, is never a good idea when dealing with your S/O. For some reason, the advice in maxim makes sense to us, but they just don't get it. Stick to the Cosmo and Elle and you'll be the "best husband ever in 60 days!" (Good pics over there too, by the way.)

Yes, well, I wasn't actually serious about using advice from maxim. I was just having a laugh with the idea of responding to her concerns with advice from a men's magazine. "Yes dear, I understand your concerns about arousal, that's why I've been studying this article on 'Do It Like A Porn Star'." :)

Don't even get me started about the the whole "pill" thing... It baffled me, the stringent resistance to taking the pill. ...

When I asked why there was so much resistance to the pill, to my surprise the most common response was "because it causes weight gain!" :blink:

There's definitely a different attitude towards medication. Here in America, we take pills for just about everything, and most people think nothing of taking medication over long periods of time, even for their whole lives. Many adults have a daily regimen. But my fiancée finds this notion very strange. I guess the idea is you should only take remedies for immediate issues, and then stop. Frankly, I have a lot of sympathy for this attitude. We'd probably be better off adjusting our diets and exercising more etc. I honestly couldn't tell you whether the medicine I take for blood pressure does anything or not. At least with The Pill, you can tell a difference. But I imagine much of the resistance has to do with this not being "natural" and a concern for unknown side-effects. At least that's the kind of thing my fiancée often brings up in this context; "How do you know what it's doing to you?" And once again, years of medical research and actual experience don't count for much. You can always find that one article on the Internet that says it makes you fat! :)

Birth control isn't "natural."

and thinks if she will tell you this and you "won't" do it then you might get scared that she'll leave you for another man who will give her all the pampering she deserves. Just a thought :)

We've had that talk several times here and each time it ends the same way. "Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you." And then I remind her that she'll be responsible for paying her own rent, car payment, insurance, gas, electric, water, cable, phone, internet, cell phone, groceries, and whatever else. She replies that her new man will pay for it. I counter with, "Sure, maybe he will..... once. And then after that, he'll get tired of dealing with all of your complaints and high-maintenance requests and he'll move on. There are too many fat girls here that take extra special care of their guy and cost a lot less. Hell, they'll even pay him to stick around."

I don't want to push her away, but if she thinks the grass is greener, we have an open door policy here in this house. It's not a revolving door though, so once she goes, she's gone.

Don't even get me started about the the whole "pill" thing... It baffled me, the stringent resistance to taking the pill.

The pill remains unpopular in Russia and Ukraine. Abortion is free and readily available. Researching the topic, I read that the "average" 40 year-old Russian / Ukrainian woman has had at least 2 abortions. I started asking around... "what do you or your family use for birth control?" Some replied "condoms", but most replied "luck and a prayer"... Yet none admitted to ever having an abortion. When I asked why there was so much resistance to the pill, to my surprise the most common response was "because it causes weight gain!" :blink:

We had an awesome b/c regimen going here (Nuvaring, $28/month, super easy) that lasted all of one treatment because it "made her not natural" and allegedly caused viloent moodswings and made her tired.

"So what the hell is the excuse now that you're not taking anything?????" All of those symptoms are still present! I could put up with all that stuff knowing there wasn't going to be a case of the K.I.D.s in the near future. Now, I have to use the "pull and pray" as the b/c method and I don't think that's as effective. Plus, at least if she was on b/c she'd have a legitimate excuse to exhibit those symptoms. It would almost be justified. Now, I have to believe the violent moodswings and fatigue come from... from.... ah..... well, it doesn't come from working too hard, I'll tell you that much.

But you're right, there's definitely a distaste for b/c among the Eastern European girls and it probably has a lot to do with weight/image-consciousness. I doubt it has so much to do with the availability of abortions because they're so bad for a woman's "woman parts" that they also have a "foo" attached to them. Of all the FSU girls I ever met, I've yet to meet a single one that was on b/c. I knew more than a few that had abortions, but I'm thinking they would argue smoking and b/c don't go together before they'd cite a trip to the free clinic as incentive to not pop the pills.

Let me just take this opportunity to thank God for giving me a #######.

Yes, well, I wasn't actually serious about using advice from maxim. I was just having a laugh with the idea of responding to her concerns with advice from a men's magazine. "Yes dear, I understand your concerns about arousal, that's why I've been studying this article on 'Do It Like A Porn Star'." :)

Hey, works for me! Foreplay, shmoreplay, get ready! (To be quite honest, I think you do get away with a little more "manly" behavior with an FSU S/O than what you would get away with here. Sure, you're still expected to be romantic and do nice things, etc., but you're also expected to be a man, and that necesssitates a whole different animal than what we get from the girls here at home.... "this is called the donkey punch.")

I honestly couldn't tell you whether the medicine I take for blood pressure does anything or not.

Stop taking it. You'll know. Seriously, why do people think it's necessary to take something their whole lives just because their doctor tells them to? Have you been to several doctors to explore other options? Diet? Exercise? Stopped taking so much Viagra?

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.