Lyuba

How do you prepare for the test?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just want to know how people prepare for the test.

Are those sample questions in the Naturalization guide enough? Or is there some book I need to study?

Drew (St. Louis, MO) + Lyuba (Moscow, Russia)

December 1, 2003 - met and fell in love in Moscow, Russia

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

September 14, 2004 - NOA2

December 2, 2004 - Interview

December 24, 2004 - Arrival to the USA

January 14, 2005 - Wedding

AOS

January 25, 2005 - applied for AOS, EAD and AP in person

June 29, 2005 - AOS interview

August 8, 2005 - Green card arrived

Lifting of conditions

April 17, 2007 - NOA1 (extension letter)

April 2, 2008 - case transferred to CSC

May 8, 2008 - 10 year Green card arrived

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

November 19, 2008 - Interview

January 9, 2009 - Oath

January 17, 2009 - applied for US passport

January 26, 2009 - US passport arrived

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

There are flash cards on the USCIS site. THey've been a great study aid. And those sample questions in the naturalization guide are the questions the adjudicators take their questions from.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Are those sample questions in the Naturalization guide enough? Or is there some book I need to study?

Yup, if you memorize that entire list of questions with the correct answers you're golden because every question they ask if from that list.

Pretty easy huh? :innocent:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Yup, if you memorize that entire list of questions with the correct answers you're golden because every question they ask if from that list.

Pretty easy huh? :innocent:

Diana

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-638.pdf

Is the same booklet we requested in our biometrics appointment, but you have to ask for it, came with a CD that I converted to MP3 for my wife's player that she could listen to in her spare time. But that file is too large to post here. As you learn more by teaching, had my wife read the 96 questions to me while driving to the interview and I gave the answers so she could correct me, we did that twice. The trend seems that the IO will only ask six questions if you get them all right, then the test stops as you need to get 6 out of ten correct. Same with my wife, six questions asked, six answers given correctly, the test was over.

They pretty much can tell your English skills during the interview, but she was asked to write, I am a very good cook. Her IO was very critical on the originality of our evidence that took the most time. But you never know what to expect.

If you typed this:

"Just want to know how people prepare for the test.

Are those sample questions in the Naturalization guide enough? Or is there some book I need to study?"

Your English skills are very good, you won't have problems.

check this out, naturalization self test then click the "generate questions"

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

When you visit USCIS DO for fingerprint, they will hand out booklet for Civic test.

It includes audio CD.

For some reason, it doesn't work with my car audio, so I converted it to MP3 files, and use my MP3 player for study when I'm sitting in rest room or somewhere with nothing. ^^

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you so much, guys!!!!

Drew (St. Louis, MO) + Lyuba (Moscow, Russia)

December 1, 2003 - met and fell in love in Moscow, Russia

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

September 14, 2004 - NOA2

December 2, 2004 - Interview

December 24, 2004 - Arrival to the USA

January 14, 2005 - Wedding

AOS

January 25, 2005 - applied for AOS, EAD and AP in person

June 29, 2005 - AOS interview

August 8, 2005 - Green card arrived

Lifting of conditions

April 17, 2007 - NOA1 (extension letter)

April 2, 2008 - case transferred to CSC

May 8, 2008 - 10 year Green card arrived

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

November 19, 2008 - Interview

January 9, 2009 - Oath

January 17, 2009 - applied for US passport

January 26, 2009 - US passport arrived

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Timeline

When you visit USCIS DO for fingerprint, they will hand out booklet for Civic test.

It includes audio CD.

For some reason, it doesn't work with my car audio, so I converted it to MP3 files, and use my MP3 player for study when I'm sitting in rest room or somewhere with nothing. ^^

It's not exactly like, Who Wants to be a Millionaire where you can ask the audience, take the 50-50 or call a friend. And if asked what are the colors of the flag, just snap back red, white, and blue. All the answers are very short and brief, they don't want to know that real long story that somebody dreamed up why the red, white, and blue colors were selected. First track of the CD goes into all that stuff, just listen to the 2nd track.

Ha, more like Family Feud where you have to answer five questions in twenty seconds, but you can do six in twenty-four seconds.

Timeline

The whole test is a complete joke, they need to make it tougher in my opinion. By the way, I never got that book and CD you guys are talking about. In fact, neither member of my family got one.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
The whole test is a complete joke, they need to make it tougher in my opinion. By the way, I never got that book and CD you guys are talking about. In fact, neither member of my family got one.

Diana

You have to ask for it.

Diana

In Milwaukee DO, they hand out to everybody, who comes for N400 fingerprint. ^^

Timeline

Diana

In Milwaukee DO, they hand out to everybody, who comes for N400 fingerprint. ^^

Not for us, believe at the bottom of the biometrics appointment it says you can get this book, I pointed that out to the fingerprint guy, and he said sure. Found one and dug it out, but said this was an old version, would have to go on the net and download another 42 questions that I could never find. Same test is in the M-476 and can be found on the net in about a zillion places. The new test is effective October 1, 2008, we also downloaded that and looked it over.

I also asked for a copy of the M-476, was told such a copy doesn't exist, have to download that as well and print it out. I like to highlight the important parts and can't really do that on a computer screen. Can usually print out an entire manual and walk away from the computer, not with the M-476, was all out of sync, had to do ten pages at a time and really watch it. Wife read the English and glossary sections for more background, but it was just snapping back with short answers that makes them happy for her.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Just use the flashcard in the immigration site.. Goodluck.. dont worry is not that hard.. Just read the common question that they might possible asjk you, like 1st president, what is constitution, flags

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I printed out the flashcards, cut them out and used some glue to stick them on flashcards. That way they are a little thicker. You can also order the flashcards but I think they cost.

I also used the book that you get when you go for your fingerprinting.. but I personally used the flashcards more then the book.. stuck them in my purse and read them whenever I had a chance.

Good Luck

Anja

Greencard Holder since 1991

August 2006: Approved for Dual Citizenship from the German Consulate

I am officially now a Dual Citizen :)))

07.06.09 sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center for Mr Brazil

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

02.23.10 Visa Interview - Rio de Janeiro-Visa denied

03.11.10 case cent back to VSC

Second Round:

04.19.10 Sent new petition to Vermont Service Center

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

10.XX.10: Decide to split with my fiance and set in a withdraw letter to VSC

10.25.10: NOA2 - to my surprise but it does not matter anymore

11.18.10: Withdraw of my petition is final - The End of my Immigration Journey :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Privert Lyuba! My wife is Russian studied the night before and missed one question, the easiest! Asked to read a simple question and write a simple sentence. With your baby and good test results you should pass with flying colors. My wife only used the material provided her by USCIS and some VJ items I downoladed, i.e. the 20 hardest questions possible on the exam. Best of luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.