Amby

teen who eats 13,000 calories a day!

125 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes, but why? However, sure, throw the book at them, that'll help everyone.

We take away children from other types of abusive parents. Child neglect is the most prevalent form of abuse. Taking her away from her mother until her mother can actually take of the child is putting the child's best interest first, IMO.

Don't turn into yet another one of the 'judge people without knowing all the facts' posters. There area already enough of those. :bonk:

My bet is that this family are finacially insecure, that the mother probably has psychological issues as well as the daughter and that they can't afford to go and get treated. We accept alcoholics, bulimics, drug adicts and the like as ill, while the morbidly obese are simply labelled as weak willed or lazy.

The family needs to be treated as a unit in my opinion, but money and programs to treat families together doesn't appear to be forthcoming so some members of society are left to suck it up and bear the brunt of the ugly side of people's intollerance.

this is soo true... :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

We take away children from other types of abusive parents. Child neglect is the most prevalent form of abuse. Taking her away from her mother until her mother can actually take of the child is putting the child's best interest first, IMO.

Don't turn into yet another one of the 'judge people without knowing all the facts' posters. There area already enough of those. :bonk:

My bet is that this family are finacially insecure, that the mother probably has psychological issues as well as the daughter and that they can't afford to go and get treated. We accept alcoholics, bulimics, drug adicts and the like as ill, while the morbidly obese are simply labelled as weak willed or lazy.

The family needs to be treated as a unit in my opinion, but money and programs to treat families together doesn't appear to be forthcoming so some members of society are left to suck it up and bear the brunt of the ugly side of people's intollerance.

If a mother was buying her kid heroin or alcohol, it would certainly be considered abuse....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

on the other hand, odds are she'll never be an unwed teen mother.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I know it's partly my fault. But it's so hard to stop eating.

'partly' gimme a fcukin break!

oh, and her dad died when she was 5....hardly yesterday...

and her mom is fat too *big shock*

tell it sister

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

If a mother was buying her kid heroin or alcohol, it would certainly be considered abuse....

or starving the child to the point of death :whistle:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I know it's partly my fault. But it's so hard to stop eating.

'partly' gimme a fcukin break!

oh, and her dad died when she was 5....hardly yesterday...

and her mom is fat too *big shock*

Traumas can last years though - especially if a$$hole school bullies rub it in any chance they get.

I would imagine this is a compulsive eating disorder along the lines of anorexia or bulimia. People like that need psychiatric help - not "personal responsibility" condemnation,

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Igpay.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

this is soo true... :thumbs:

Agreed. Society has unfortunately labeled EVERY overweight individual as weak willed and lazy, not able to "push away from the table".

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

My bet is that this family are finacially insecure, that the mother probably has psychological issues as well as the daughter and that they can't afford to go and get treated.

Hmmm...they live in the UK, ...I don't think they have lacked at all in "help"....wonder who is paying for this last ditch attempt to Wellspring Academy USA? :whistle:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
There has to be some thing people can do for people like this. The psyche is messed up completely if food is the only pleasure, to the point of slow suicide. Messed up and terrible.

The father died, clearly there is a need for some kind of interention. Yes, the mother needs to play a part in the rehab and it shouldn't have got to this stage, but who knows what the psyche of the mother is like too?

I disagree that there has to be something that people can do for people morbidly obese. At the end of the day, regardless of cause, this girl has eaten herself to the point of death. We are struggling to treat a myriad of illness and disease that is not self inflicted, and these should take priority. This girl has simply to eat less to reduce her weight and reduce all the symptoms associated with it. Instead of doing this, she chooses to continue to eat 13000 calories per day.

It's not that simple. If it were, we'd see far fewer overweight and obese individuals.

There can be underlying factors contributing to massive weight gain. Putting on 10 or even 20 pounds isn't the same as accumulating 100 pounds or more. There can be physical and/or psychological issues which cause much of this to occur.

One of the most common situations is when people are bored or depressed. What do they do? They eat! It's a terrible habit, but it's extremely common. This is usually found more often in women than men, which has led to the stereotype of the woman eating ice cream directly from the container after breaking up with her significant other. Ever hear the phrase "comfort food?" That's not just a marketing gimmick. Many people do find psychological comfort when eating.

As for physical issues, something as relatively simple as having an under-working thyroid gland (which is called "hypothyroidism") can dramatically reduce the body's ability to produce and sustain energy, as well as burn calories, fat and carbohydrates. While the fix isn't difficult (you'd need to see a physician who specializes in endocrinology, do some tests and probably take medication), but unless someone realizes there's an issue and has the medical insurance to pay for it all, they're in a bind.

I'm not going to say that all overweight and obese people are within this category. Many are, but far more could lose weight with a strict diet and exercise regimen. Even if there is a psychological and/or physical problem, diet and exercise will still be necessary. There is no "magic pill" that'll make us shed the pounds, unfortunately.