David97230

Sending Money to your Wife / husband.

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I'm just curious..

How many people send money to there spouse and if you do why? What do they use it for?

The reason I ask is I offered to send my wife some money, she told me not to; and said "I have a job I don't need anything now."

Your marriage is not a statistic. Sounds like you and your wife need to make joint financial plans. If she doesn't need any of your earnings or assets at this time, that's simply a factor you deal with in your planning for the future. There's no one answer to how a couple manages finances. Some are totally comingled and others remain totally separate and everything in between, including how and by whom decisions about money are made.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

been sending my husband, my boyfriend at that time, money for years. not to support him but to make sure that he has enough money to pay for a calling card or use the internet cafe to chat with me! :lol: :lol: that was in the early stages.. then as the years went by, sent him money here and there to buy this and that. no biggie. i love my husband and i see nothing wrong with me sending him money. When i am there, he pays for everything anyway. i know all too well about men's "ego's" :wacko:

oh yeah.. i guess i could print out those receipts, eh? hmm.. another evidence..

I-130 Timeline:

5/13 : NOA1

7/21 : NOA2 - APPROVED!!!

NVC Timeline:

7/25 : Case # assigned

9/30 : Case completed!!!! (THANK YOU, LORD!!!)

10/03: Interview date assigned

US Embassy in Manila:

10/30 : Paid Document Verification (just to be on the safe side)

11/12 - 11/13 : Medical at SLEC

11/18: INTERVIEW DATE/MANILA EMBASSY/0630AM - VISA APPROVED!

11/20 : Visa in hand! (that was fast!)

11/30 : Flight to USA!

Life in America:

11/30 : POE:LAX

12/04 : SSN issued - 12/13: card received in the mail

12/04 : "Green Card" issued - 12/13: card received in the mail

NOVEMBER 30, 2010 : CR1 expires

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
been sending my husband, my boyfriend at that time, money for years. not to support him but to make sure that he has enough money to pay for a calling card or use the internet cafe to chat with me! :lol: :lol: that was in the early stages.. then as the years went by, sent him money here and there to buy this and that. no biggie. i love my husband and i see nothing wrong with me sending him money. When i am there, he pays for everything anyway. i know all too well about men's "ego's" :wacko:

oh yeah.. i guess i could print out those receipts, eh? hmm.. another evidence..

yes jen good idea!! :thumbs:

Timeline

Other evidence, yes, but evidence that CAN work against you. I'd print them and keep them in the back pocket until asked for specifically. Sending money to a foreign fiance or spouse in a poor country can come back and bite you if taken as part of a scam. Giving money is a one-sided bona fide, so it's better to focus on visits and regular communication than one-way evidence.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
Nita how did you manage that??? I asked my bank and they said they couldn't do it?

Also, I worry about him sending money cause apparently there have been cases of men in Morocco who have paid women in the U.S. to marry them. I don't want that to seem like it so he does not and will not send me money based on my thoughts.. besides I don't need it. I have a good job and I told him we need to save for our future.

Rajaa

Mine told me that as well but now all of my accounts are joint and we even opened another one together. The reason they gave me was that she didn't have a SSN and that meant she couldn't have an account according to law (not sure which, but something having to do with the IRS). But they did investigate further and found that if she had an ITIN (Independant Taxpayer Identification Number) that we could have joint accounts. To get an ITIN you need to do a "Married Filing Jointly" tax return and complete an IRS form requesting the ITIN, then send both to an IRS office in Texas (Austin if I remember correctly). It takes a bit to get processed but then they will send an ITIN number to her and you can use that in place of the SSN when applying for joint accounts or opening a new account. Here is the IRS page on the ITIN: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

Hope this helps you out! :)

WARNING: This process makes you in-eligible for the Economic Stimulus Package!!!

Edited by Justin and Masako

- Justin and Masako

"The World is Open. Are You?"

Timeline
Nita how did you manage that??? I asked my bank and they said they couldn't do it?

Also, I worry about him sending money cause apparently there have been cases of men in Morocco who have paid women in the U.S. to marry them. I don't want that to seem like it so he does not and will not send me money based on my thoughts.. besides I don't need it. I have a good job and I told him we need to save for our future.

Rajaa

Mine told me that as well but now all of my accounts are joint and we even opened another one together. The reason they gave me was that she didn't have a SSN and that meant she couldn't have an account according to law (not sure which, but something having to do with the IRS). But they did investigate further and found that if she had an ITIN (Independant Taxpayer Identification Number) that we could have joint accounts. To get an ITIN you need to do a "Married Filing Jointly" tax return and complete an IRS form requesting the ITIN, then send both to an IRS office in Texas (Austin if I remember correctly). It takes a bit to get processed but then they will send an ITIN number to her and you can use that in place of the SSN when applying for joint accounts or opening a new account. Here is the IRS page on the ITIN: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

Hope this helps you out! :)

WARNING: This process makes you in-eligible for the Economic Stimulus Package!!!

The USC with an SSN is eligible but not the ITIN spouse.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Other evidence, yes, but evidence that CAN work against you. I'd print them and keep them in the back pocket until asked for specifically. Sending money to a foreign fiance or spouse in a poor country can come back and bite you if taken as part of a scam. Giving money is a one-sided bona fide, so it's better to focus on visits and regular communication than one-way evidence.

oohh... he's been scamming me for 6 years???!!!! hahaha! just a funny thought.. but i'll sure take your advice, pushbrk. Thanks!

I-130 Timeline:

NVC Timeline:

US Embassy in Manila:

Life in America:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
The USC with an SSN is eligible but not the ITIN spouse.

Correct but, to file for the ITIN you have to file your tax return jointly which makes the USC ineligible as well. I know as this happened to me and many others. There was at least one big thread on it here around tax time. Thats why I warned about this "process" making ineligible. There MAY be a way to amend your tax return once your spouse has a SSN and then be able to retroactively qualify for the Economic Stimulus Package (as hinted to on the IRS website) but I am not in a position to test that theory as of yet.

- Justin and Masako

"The World is Open. Are You?"

Timeline

oohh... he's been scamming me for 6 years???!!!! hahaha! just a funny thought.. but i'll sure take your advice, pushbrk. Thanks!

A six year marriage is likely to have far more compelling evidence of bona fides than exchanges of money. Note I said "CAN" not "WILL".

Google Who is Pushbrk?

it's only been a 7 month marriage and a 6 year courtship, pushbrk.. i've decided not to even bother with the money receipts.. who cares? :lol:

I-130 Timeline:

NVC Timeline:

US Embassy in Manila:

Life in America:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Rajaa...We have a joint bank account because they accepted my hubby's ITIN number and we have filed joint taxes for 2 years... We also have a credit card together... GoodLuck try to see if you can file for your hubby to get an ITIN number

Nita

I see nothing wrong with "co-mingling", We have a joint bank account just like we would if we were living together here.

Nita

Rajaa

596696z2ypf41694.gif

I - 130

3.26.08 - NOA2 - APPROVAL IN 493 DAYS!!

NVC

7.22.08 - CASE COMPLETED IN 90 DAYS - THANK GOD!!

Embassy

9.29.08-Interview - AP (2 weeks)

10.15.08 - AP over :) Embassy called hubby to go get his Visa - HAPPIEST DAY!!!

10.20.08 - Visa Issued

11.25.08 - POE (JFK then SFO)

11.26.08 - Visa Journey is Over!! TOOK 737 DAYS....Habibi is Home!! :) :)

USA

11.25.08 - POE

12.10.08 - Applied for SS Card

12.15.08 - Welcome Letter Received

12.17.08 - SS Card Received

12.26.08 - Green Card Received :)

Begin Naturalization process 2011 ~ Inshallah

mybanner493ead35e2041shfr8.th.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband uses intertransfer to send us ( Me and our son) money in a monthly basis, since their fee is always 3 dollars up to 2000 dollars being sent at a time... Do you know what it is so funny, that they currently processing my I-130 at VSC and last friday we received an RFE (request for further evidence) requesting receipts of money, gifts or anything else that he had send us while we are in Brazil... Thanks God we had that...

Timeline
My husband uses intertransfer to send us ( Me and our son) money in a monthly basis, since their fee is always 3 dollars up to 2000 dollars being sent at a time... Do you know what it is so funny, that they currently processing my I-130 at VSC and last friday we received an RFE (request for further evidence) requesting receipts of money, gifts or anything else that he had send us while we are in Brazil... Thanks God we had that...

That's a strange RFE indeed, since no such thing is required. Is that all they requested or just on the list of possible things to send?

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.