charlie & yeng

living abroad while on 10yr GC

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

There's a possibility that we may go back to Singapore for a few months to a year soon. Has anyone done that while in posession of their 10-yr GC? If anyone has any experience in this, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

K1 Visa : Singapore (yeng) /Oregon (charlie)

Nov 12, '03: NOA 1 online

Mar 29, '04: RFE mailed out (139 days)

Apr 01, '04: RFE received in the mail (sent in wrong birth cert!)

Apr 09, '04: Mailed back RFE (Go USPS!!!)

Apr 15, '04: RFE received by USCIS (online)

Apr 28, '04: NOA2!!!! (Charlie received hard copy, online status still not changed) (168 days)

May 10, '04: Letter received from NVC

May 21, '04: Packet received in Singapore from SG Embassy. (191 from NOA1. online status still at reciept of RFE!)

Jun 18, '04: mailed off DS-230 (singapore procedure)

Jun 23, '04: received interview date letter from embassy

Jul 09, '04: Interview - SUCCESS!!

Jul 14, '04: Pick up passport with K1 Visa

Aug 12, '04: Arrive at LAX and clear immigration with ease.

Sep 04, '04: WEDDING!!!!

AOS (Portland, OR)

Oct 28, '04: mailed off AOS, EAD & AP to Portland by Priority Mail

Nov 20, '04: received AP and EAD appt letter for Dec 9.

Dec 09, '04: received EAD at appt (but the fingerprinting done was NOT the biometrics!)

Jan 11, '05: initial AOS interview date but we need to reschedule.

Dec 20, '04: (circa) received letter requesting the $70 for fingerprinting to be done)

Jan 6. '05: received appointment date for fingerprinting on Jan 25. (found out only on the 25th that they WERE going to interview us on the 26th but they didn't send letter out because the officer was going to be away)

Mar 16, '05: AOS interview - FINALLY!

Apr 27, '05: Received temp card (I-551)

May still receiving welcome NOAs (5 so far)

"...testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing" ... the Apostle, James

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

As an LPR you should not stay outside of the US for more than 6 months, after that the Immigration officer at POE may give you a hard time of why you stayed away for so long but will let you go through. At 12 months you will definitely have a very good reason to explain your absence and hope that they let you through.

The best thing would be to file for Advance Parole before you leave the US just in case your trip takes closer or longer than a year. This AP will allow you to stay outside of the country for up to two years, but it has to be filed before you leave.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
There's a possibility that we may go back to Singapore for a few months to a year soon. Has anyone done that while in posession of their 10-yr GC? If anyone has any experience in this, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

Hi Charlie, & Yen.. You may want to apply for a travel document, I just forget the form for this but research this online.. This form will allow you to be outside in the US even 2 years .. They will issue your wife a card that looks like a passport..

My supervisor's wife is from Bosnia, and he went to Middle East to work.. They said it takes a lot of money to go back and forth to the US so they applied for this Travel Document Request. I emailed my friend to ask for the exact form.. Email me sometime and maybe I have the answer for the form.

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

She'll actually need a re-entry permit, not AP.

Of course while she is living outside the country she is not accruing time toward her eligibilitly to apply for citizenship.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

sorry for triple post, connection is messed up these days,

Edited by Reba

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

She'll actually need a re-entry permit, not AP.

Of course while she is living outside the country she is not accruing time toward her eligibilitly to apply for citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You're correct, I meant to say that form I-131 needs to be filed before leaving the country which is the same form used for AP. ;)

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also, maintain a US address for mail or some such that you can list as your US residence. Giving up US residence to live abroad is considered a reason to cancel permanent residence status. Make sure they know it is only temporary and that you plan on returning and maintain some sort of identity in the US while out of the US (ie address, bank accounts, etc.).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.