Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

How to travel after getting the GC

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


My wife is a Brazilian citizen and she has her Brazilian passport under her single name. She just receives her GC and GC's name is under her married name.

She is going back to Brazil in two weeks and we are looking for an airline ticket. To purchase the ticket, should we purchase under her single name (passport) or under her married name (GC)?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of tricky. I would think that using the passport is the way to go, because the passport is a Travel document. Your green card can't really be used for identification outside the USA.

However your problem might be when you return to the USA and they note your passport and green card are different! For this I would definitely bring extensive documentation about your marriage, as well as the name change. This way they have all the documentation they need to reconcile the difference. You might not need it to be honest, but having it is much safer than not.

For future travel, you may want to get her passport in sync with her current married name, just to make things easier.

09/03/08 - Sent I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 to Chicago Lockbox

09/11/08 - Checks cashed

09/15/08 - NOA received

09/16/08 - Biometrics appointment for 09/30/08

09/30/08 - Biometrics completed - cases available online

11/20/08 - EAD and AP approved

11/25/08 - AP received

12/01/08 - EAD received

02/10/09 - AOS Interview - Green card approved :D

02/20/09 - Green Card received

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ticket should use name on passport.

GC is only for US immigration purposes while passport is for international travel.

Bring copy of marriage cert to explain diff name in GC.


Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

My friends always buy their tickets under their married name and show a copy of their marriage certificate to show why their passports are under their maiden names. They've never had any problems while travelling.



02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other way to go to avoid the hassle: go down to the Brazilian consulate in your town, taking the marriage certificate (plus other papers like, her brazilian birth certificate - you can check that the list of docs required in any brazilian consulate website from your area) and they will stamp her valid passport with the new married name. It will be something like " due to marriage, the bearer's name was changed to .........". You'll pay a U$ 20 fee and it is done on the spot. That's what I did anyway, and it worked fine.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...