Marlita

Black in America

93 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You know, since I started working with mostly non-white people in an environment where race/ethnicity comes up a lot, I stopped using the term African American. Of course, I'd take my cues from those I'm talking to, and if they were to say African-American, then I would too.

I almost died laughing when I was asked to take a picture of a group of people I work with and they insisted on lining up by relative lightness/darkness of skin color (a black man born in the US, a black female born in the US, a black woman whose parents are West African, a Cape Verdean kid, and a young woman of Dominican/Peruvian parentage).

Round these parts, people always use the term "Spanish" to describe those of Latin American descent...it drives me insane!

And I always find it interesting how Cape Verdeans don't consider themselves Africans! Many identify as black, even though their roots are all over the place based on which island they're from.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me these just seems to be a re-hash of the same format done in South Africa earlier this year.

Having said that, it was amazing and eye-opening for me.

Oh good Lord!! You have to know that Blacks in America are not like South Africans!! Thats like calling Spainards, Mexicans. :wacko: It will definitely NOT be a rehash. I can guarantee South African is not my culture or history of anyone I know in like 6 generations of my family.

I meant a US show taking a format done by another country and re-doing it, like 'The Office'.

And as for differences you may be surprised at the similarities on both sides of the ocean, having lived both in the US and South Africa. Not culture specific but attitudes ie unreallistic expectations, stereotypes and bigotry on both sides of the black white divide.

Edited by DairyFarmer

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
(PS Charles and Bren, I didn't get a new dress...)

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!