13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone. It's been a while since we had anything to do with USCIS or Visajourney. Sasha and I were married in May and we've been busy working and planning the arrival of our first child. The time has finally come for us to adjust status. The guides here are very helpful, as well as the forums, but we still have many questions. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. Thank you for any information you can provide.

1) I understand we do not need to provide an I-693 Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status, since she came here with a K-1 visa and had a medical exam within the last year. However, USCIS requires a vaccination supplement (I-693A). We cannot locate this form anywhere on the USCIS website. Only the full medical form. What to do?? **UPDATE** I've located the supplemental part "A" for the I-693. Can I print this out and take to the civil surgeon?

2) All civil surgeons that we've contacted say they will only do the vaccinations with a full medical exam and 200 bucks. Despite what we've read here on VJ from members who insist this is not neccesary :wacko: . What to do??

3) Sasha is pregnant. And she should not receive some of these vaccinations while in such condition. Can this be waivered? What should we do? We can't wait until after the delivery to file this adjustment. It needs to be done now. Both USCIS officers we spoke with over the phone seemed pretty clueless to this question. Should we simply submit a doctor's letter stating she is pregnant and cannot receive the vaccinations? My gut tells me this will just trigger an RFE. What to do?

4) It seems some members have sent the work and travel authorization documents to different offices than their actual I-485. Are we supposed to send everything in one package to Chicago?

5) Part of the checklist for AOS states that the I-94 needs to be valid. However these expire after 90 days of arrival. We opted to wait for filing since it was not required to file for AOS within the first 90 days. Only marriage was required in that 90 day period. Sasha's expired 2 weeks ago. We have seen many couples who chose to wait long periods of time between marrying and filing. Will this cause a problem? she is here legally because we are married and she is allowed to be here through the process. And, of course, she did enter legally through JFK.

Well, that's all I have for now. But we want to thank everyone for their help. Its so damn confusing and the cavemen that work at USCIS are quite robotic in nature, not to mention VAGUE. :P

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

I Beleive things have changed recently regarding the medical aspect of AOS so I cannot help with that as my AOS was submitted Oct last year. Others may be able to chip in who have done that more recently.

I think the AOS can be submitted without any problems if the I-94 has expired.

The whole package is sent to Chicago ( if that is the correct office ) - and then it seems to be split up and sent off wherever it needs to be .....

Good Luck....

Timeline
I Beleive things have changed recently regarding the medical aspect of AOS so I cannot help with that as my AOS was submitted Oct last year. Others may be able to chip in who have done that more recently.

I think the AOS can be submitted without any problems if the I-94 has expired.

The whole package is sent to Chicago ( if that is the correct office ) - and then it seems to be split up and sent off wherever it needs to be .....

Good Luck....

Thank you for replying. helpful info. :)

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline

....Another question. Sasha's last name is now different since we are married and her new SS card has been changed. When filling out all of these forms for AOS, should we use her new name? Even though her passport is in her maiden name? Thanks.

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
....Another question. Sasha's last name is now different since we are married and her new SS card has been changed. When filling out all of these forms for AOS, should we use her new name? Even though her passport is in her maiden name? Thanks.

Yes, fill out the forms using her married name (new legal name) even if the passport still shows her maiden name. Somewherre on the I-485 for it asks for "other names used", that's where you will have to show her maiden name. :)

05/12/04 => Arrived in the US under L1 status / work visa

03/05/05 => Met the love of my life

07/02/07 => Married my wonderful USC husband

______AOS JOURNEY________________________________

10/03/08 => Package sent to USCIS

03/03/09 => Interview in Chicago, IL =>> APPROVED!

______REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY______________

12/03/10 => Package sent to California service center

03/02/11 => 10 YR GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!

______CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY_________________________

01/20/12 => Filed N-400 for Citizenship

06/21/12 => Citizenship interview: Approved!

07/25/12 => Oath Ceremony.. DONE WITH USCIS!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Unfortunately, I just started my Adjustment of Status process myself, so I can't give any concrete answers. However, I can offer a few statements from what I've learned by researching the AoS process:

1) I understand we do not need to provide an I-693 Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status, since she came here with a K-1 visa and had a medical exam within the last year. However, USCIS requires a vaccination supplement (I-693A). We cannot locate this form anywhere on the USCIS website. Only the full medical form. What to do?? **UPDATE** I've located the supplemental part "A" for the I-693. Can I print this out and take to the civil surgeon?

My fiancee received her vaccinations as part of her K-1 visa process, so she received a DS-3025 Form, which is a Vaccination Documentation Worksheet. I've read (online-only, not in any USCIS instructions) that this can be submitted in lieu of the I-693a, so we

sent that with our I-485. If you have that form, I'd send that in. Though others on here might know more about this.

4) It seems some members have sent the work and travel authorization documents to different offices than their actual I-485. Are we supposed to send everything in one package to Chicago?

In the I-485 instruction packet, you send the I-485 to Chicago for a AoS based on an approved I-129F. I read somewhere (online) that there are a few exceptions if you happen to live in a particular area, but I couldn't find it in the instructions.

I believe if you are submitting the work and travel authorization documents at the same time as the I-485, they all go to the same place.

In the instruction packet, you can send the work and travel authorization applications after sending the I-485. You will need to send a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt along with it. However, it doesn't really explicitly say where you send this, so I can only assume it's the same lockbox (Chicago).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello everyone. It's been a while since we had anything to do with USCIS or Visajourney. Sasha and I were married in May and we've been busy working and planning the arrival of our first child. The time has finally come for us to adjust status. The guides here are very helpful, as well as the forums, but we still have many questions. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. Thank you for any information you can provide.

2) All civil surgeons that we've contacted say they will only do the vaccinations with a full medical exam and 200 bucks. Despite what we've read here on VJ from members who insist this is not neccesary :wacko: . What to do??

3) Sasha is pregnant. And she should not receive some of these vaccinations while in such condition. Can this be waivered? What should we do? We can't wait until after the delivery to file this adjustment. It needs to be done now. Both USCIS officers we spoke with over the phone seemed pretty clueless to this question. Should we simply submit a doctor's letter stating she is pregnant and cannot receive the vaccinations? My gut tells me this will just trigger an RFE. What to do?

5) Part of the checklist for AOS states that the I-94 needs to be valid. However these expire after 90 days of arrival. We opted to wait for filing since it was not required to file for AOS within the first 90 days. Only marriage was required in that 90 day period. Sasha's expired 2 weeks ago. We have seen many couples who chose to wait long periods of time between marrying and filing. Will this cause a problem? she is here legally because we are married and she is allowed to be here through the process. And, of course, she did enter legally through JFK.

Well, that's all I have for now. But we want to thank everyone for their help. Its so damn confusing and the cavemen that work at USCIS are quite robotic in nature, not to mention VAGUE. :P

Jason-Sasha,

We are ready to apply for AOS as well. The information that I have gathered regarding the vaccination supplement has been vauge. From what I have gathered, the form I 693A is no longer being used. The appropriate document is the I693. You can print this document off on the US Immigration website. We contacted Dr. LE Arnold in Texas who is a civil surgeon to complete my husbands vaccination supplement. The cost is $20.00 and the process is pain less. You do not have to deal with civil surgeons who are going to charge you for the full cost of another medical. And yes, you are correct. Sasha does not need a full medical as she came in on a K1 and has not been over a year yet. I would suggest contacting Dr. Arnolds office to transcribe her vaccinations. Soooo easy, as it should be. On a side note; I have also read that the cdc is now requireing tb test etc. for adjusting status. When we contacted Dr. Arnolds office, we inquired about this. We were told that they have not heard anything about this new requirement. So wether or not the tb test is actually required remains a mystery. If I am understanding correctly, the tb test is not required if a full medical was performed after May 1st of this year? I could be wrong about this.

As far as Sasha being pregnant, if you choose to use Dr. Arnold I would get something from her OBGYN stating that she is pregnant, and send this proof to the doc in texas. This info could possibly be put on the vaccination supplement to support the fact that she can not have certain vaccinations.

Just an idea...

:)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Jason-Sasha,

Congratulations on your baby! I just went through all this with Sarah, so hopefully I can help:

(1) If you didn't get a copy of that form, I-693A (actually, it's two pages within the form I-693, not a particular form marked "A"), or didn't get her vaccinations during her medical before she came, you will have to go see a Civil Surgeon. In your case, I don't think Dr. Arnold in Austin can help you if you don't have any vaccination record for him to transcribe. You can search the list of civil surgeons in your area...there's a link from the USCIS website. I finally found one close to us that could get us in within a few days. We took two pages in - the Vaccination page, and the page the Dr. has to fill out and sign. We told him that we just needed the vaccinations and that we had already done the exam in London before Sarah came over here. So they WILL just do the vaccination supplement. Secondly, Sarah had to take a pregnancy test to verify that she was not pregnant before they gave her the shots. So I believe is Sasha is pregnant, they can give you a waiver. Sarah was not pregnant, but she had not had any of the necessary shots. So unfortunatly, she had two shots with a few vaccines in them.

Now, the Dr. shoudl fill out the chart, then fill out the second page with their info/address/sig. Make sure on the Vacc. page, that you print her name (married) and her A# on it before you take it in. The Dr. will photocopy it and give you a copy. He will take the original and seal it in an envelope. We sent in the original with our AOS packet and kept the copy.

The whole thing cost us around $150 (depending on what shots she needed).

(2) Not necessary as said above. Ask to talk to the Dr. directly instead of the receptionist, and explain to him that surely this is normal practice for him. What shots does she need? It might cost you $200 anyway just for certain shots, so it might not be such a bad deal just to pay for the whole thing. A vacc. for chicken pox is aroudn $100 by itself.

(3) Should be able to, ask the Dr. when you get him on the phone. After you tell him she's pregnant, he probably wont' do any of the vaccintations anyway.

(4) Everything goes in one packet to Chicago lock box. 3 separate stacks, and make sure your stacks all have their own required supporting documents - ie, take six passport photos (2 for each stack). Send everything together (AOS, AP, EAD) and it's all one payment - $1010.00. If you send in the AOS sans AP and EAD, and send them in separately, you will incur an additional cost of a few hundred bucks. So send it together. FYI, DORA program is dead, so no "special instructions for living in certain areas" anymore. Send it to Chicago.

(5) I wouldn't worry about that...Sarah's will expire as well before we get the AOS. Technically, she'll just be "out of status" until the conditional permanent residency is approved.

(6) Name - use her married name on the forms, and make sure you put her SS# and A# on everything (the number on the back of her I-94 in her passport). Don't worry about the passport, you can change that name later after she gets her green card. If you travel, just make sure you make her reservation with her name as it appears on her passport until you change it, and if you want to be fully safe, just bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you. For your AOS, you have to send in a copy of your marriage certificate, so don't worry, they know who she is :). So Sasha will have to be "two people" for a little bit until she gets her green card.

We tried to get Sarah a Texas ID card (non-driver's license) and they still wouldn't give it to her because her I-94 would expire too quickly. We wanted this so she had some ID with her married name and address on it so she wouldn't have to carry her passport around for ID. They said "come back when you have a green card."

Hope this helps, we are but one step ahead of you.

Matt

K-1 AOS

02/03/06: Met in Mexico!

04/25/08: Sarah entered US @ Dallas POE - NO PROBLEMS!

05/23/08: Applied for SS#

05/23/08: Marriage License

05/30/08: Received SS card

06/07/08: Wedding

06/20/08: Applied for new SS# with married name

06/27/08: Received new SS card with married name

06/30/08: I-485 AOS packet sent to Chicago

07/01/08: I-485 AOS packet received by CHIBA/RECEPTION (1 day)

07/08/08: I-485 check cashed by USCIS (9 days)

07/11/08: Received NOA's - 4 letters - I-485 NOA, EAD NOA, AP NOA, Biometrics Appt. (12 days)

07/29/08: Biometrics Appt. 11am (30 days)

07/29/08: I-485 Application transferred to CSC (30 days)

08/04/08: Received Transfer Notice in mail from CSC (36 days)

09/03/08: Touched - Email - I-485 AOS Card Production Ordered (66 days)

09/04/08: Touched - Email - Notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident (67 days)

09/04/08: Received AP in the mail (67 days)

09/05/08: Touched - Email - EAD approved (68 days)

09/08/08: Received EAD in the mail (71 days)

09/09/08: Touched - Email - I-485 AOS Approval Notice Sent (72 days)

09/09/08: Received notice in the mail welcoming new permanent resident (72 days)

09/10/08: Received GREEN CARD in th email (73 days)

Timeline

Matt, thank you for info. It's really useful. I just contacted to one more civil surgeon in our area and she was very helpful. She told me what shots i can have and what shots i can't have now. So now thos part of AOS doesn't seem a problem any more. Still this process is very confusing.

By the way I managed to get the state issued id a week before my I-94 expired. Now my id expired as well but i still carry it with me instead of passport.

Thank you everyone for your responses. We are really greatful.

Sasha

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline
If you send in the AOS sans AP and EAD, and send them in separately, you will incur an additional cost of a few hundred bucks. So send it together.

I think it's been changed. The instructions I'm looking at (Form I-485 Instructions Rev. 05/27/08) at the bottom right of Page 7, it says:

Note: Effective July 30, 2007, if you file Form I-485 to adjust your status as a permanent resident, no additional fee is required to also file an application for employment authorization on Form I-765 and/or advanced parole on Form I-131. You may file these forms concurrently. If you choose to file the I-765 and/or I-131 separately after the effective date, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485.

I also (just) looked up the instructions for the I-765 and it says: "If you filed a Form I-485 ... as of July 30, 2007 no fee is required to also file a request for employment authorization on Form I-765. You may file the I-765 concurrently with your I-485, or you may submit the I-765 at a later date." etc.

The instructions for the I-131 also state the same thing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
If you send in the AOS sans AP and EAD, and send them in separately, you will incur an additional cost of a few hundred bucks. So send it together.

I think it's been changed. The instructions I'm looking at (Form I-485 Instructions Rev. 05/27/08) at the bottom right of Page 7, it says:

Note: Effective July 30, 2007, if you file Form I-485 to adjust your status as a permanent resident, no additional fee is required to also file an application for employment authorization on Form I-765 and/or advanced parole on Form I-131. You may file these forms concurrently. If you choose to file the I-765 and/or I-131 separately after the effective date, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485.

I also (just) looked up the instructions for the I-765 and it says: "If you filed a Form I-485 ... as of July 30, 2007 no fee is required to also file a request for employment authorization on Form I-765. You may file the I-765 concurrently with your I-485, or you may submit the I-765 at a later date." etc.

You actually are correct, I was wrong, sorry! Don't want to spread mis-information. You CAN file AP and EAD after you have filed for AOs with I-485, and it will not cost you anything. You would send it to the same Chicago address. The only difference is that you will also have to send in your NOA proving that you did in fact file the I-485. Good catch.

K-1 AOS

02/03/06: Met in Mexico!

04/25/08: Sarah entered US @ Dallas POE - NO PROBLEMS!

05/23/08: Applied for SS#

05/23/08: Marriage License

05/30/08: Received SS card

06/07/08: Wedding

06/20/08: Applied for new SS# with married name

06/27/08: Received new SS card with married name

06/30/08: I-485 AOS packet sent to Chicago

07/01/08: I-485 AOS packet received by CHIBA/RECEPTION (1 day)

07/08/08: I-485 check cashed by USCIS (9 days)

07/11/08: Received NOA's - 4 letters - I-485 NOA, EAD NOA, AP NOA, Biometrics Appt. (12 days)

07/29/08: Biometrics Appt. 11am (30 days)

07/29/08: I-485 Application transferred to CSC (30 days)

08/04/08: Received Transfer Notice in mail from CSC (36 days)

09/03/08: Touched - Email - I-485 AOS Card Production Ordered (66 days)

09/04/08: Touched - Email - Notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident (67 days)

09/04/08: Received AP in the mail (67 days)

09/05/08: Touched - Email - EAD approved (68 days)

09/08/08: Received EAD in the mail (71 days)

09/09/08: Touched - Email - I-485 AOS Approval Notice Sent (72 days)

09/09/08: Received notice in the mail welcoming new permanent resident (72 days)

09/10/08: Received GREEN CARD in th email (73 days)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi, it looks like this was already listed in here somewhere, but use the I-693 (NOT the I-693A) and follow the directions. Here's a link to the new links...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1992809

Matt, thank you for info. It's really useful. I just contacted to one more civil surgeon in our area and she was very helpful. She told me what shots i can have and what shots i can't have now. So now thos part of AOS doesn't seem a problem any more. Still this process is very confusing.

Glad to hear you contacted a Civil Surgeon in your area. I only am going to pay $25 to a local one to transcribe the info for me onto the I-693, part 2, #5. Yay!

Saludos, Shannon

AOS & getting the SSN & the I-693

6/13/08 Applied for SSN for David ----- TRIP 1; 6/23/08 Went back to SSA 'cuz the person didn't pc all documents (rec'd letter from them) ----- TRIP 2

7/2/08 Received David's health insurance cards! Yay!

7/3/08 Went back to SSA; they said come back 7/9 if he still hasn't received it ----- TRIP 3

7/8/08 Got list of vaccines he still needed from CS by fax/phone; tested for immunity to MMR (only vaccine still needed) at our family dr

7/9 & 7/10/08 Went back to SSA, card still not received - Denied opportunity to apply for replacement ----- TRIP 4; Went back to SSA again to apply for a replacement card - Talked to a supervisor this time, POE people entered his last name incorrectly ----- TRIP 5; went to get David's ID thru the State, denied - instructions wrong on website; measles test inconclusive, another test needed; requested new lease

7/14/08 SSA called me in regards to problems at local SSA office

7/15/08 INFOPASS appt to fix POE name input error and then went to airport to fix POE name error

7/17/08 Received SSN card in mail and went to get state ID

7/21/08 State ID received in the mail and tested again for measles immunity

7/29/08 MMR shot #2 given and dropped off papers at Civil Surgeon (CS)

7/31/08 Picked up I-693, completed by local CS, (I paid $25, don't be fooled)

8/3 - 8/6/08 Worked on forms I-485, G-325A, I-864, I-765 and I-131; sent to Chicago - YESSS!

8/11/08 NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP; 9/2/08 Transfered to CSC; 9/4/08 Biometrics

10/24/08 Rec'd AP; 10/27/08 Rec'd EAD; 11/24/08 Rec'd GC

Timeline

You actually are correct, I was wrong, sorry! Don't want to spread mis-information. You CAN file AP and EAD after you have filed for AOs with I-485, and it will not cost you anything. You would send it to the same Chicago address. The only difference is that you will also have to send in your NOA proving that you did in fact file the I-485. Good catch.

It seems forms / instructions change yearly just so someone can keep their job! :) It's tough keeping up with it all. I only remember because I read the instructions last week and filed yesterday. It'll probably change again next month. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.