Kathryn41

"How Canada Stole the American Dream"

175 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Interesting article for sure :)

I have often thought that those people who are going for visas and that plan to file for citizenship should be placed in front of those who aren't. That's a very debatablepoint point and I'm not trying to stir up more drama, but I think that moving for love is a great thing, as that's what my wife did for me. I think that being given the chance to move to a countryand live there should also carry with it a responsibility to commit to it and make it better.

With so many people trying to get into the US for a better life, I don't really agree that someone who is moving to the US for a few years to be with their significant other before moving back after retirement or when it's a better idea is a good thing. There should be an expedited list, in my opinion, for those who plan on living the rest of their days in the USA, and then another for those who are kind of "renting" time over here.

Please don't take offense, I've just been thinking about this a lot after reading countless posts about folks who are already planning on moving back after they arrived :)

Why is it NOT a good thing? Really, I'm curious and certainly not trying to be antagonistic.

What would you suggest to those of us who wanted to emigrate to Canada, but because of legalities surrounding custody of a child? I personally have NO family at all here...zip! When my beloved parents died, that was it...it's just me. There is nothing holding me here except this joint custody thing with my daughter's biological father. My husband will tell you very quick...the ONLY reason he is here is for me and my daughter. We are here for at least another 10 years so our up and moving out of the US is quite a ways off. I don't see it as "renting time" for my husband to be here. He plans to obtain citizenship. He is productive in society. For all intents and purposes, he is settling here. What is wrong with wanting to eventually move back home? I just don't understand the mindset of those who resent this. :huh:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I like this one better Kathryn ;)

The other day at work I wore my Canada Flag stovepipe hat for Canada Day. Everyone walked in (I'm the receptionist, they see me first) and gave me weird looks and said "what, is it some kind of Canada day or something?" And I said "Yes, its Canada Day!"

A few asked me what its about, if its "like July 4th?" I said yeah, its the day we gained our independence from the UK. Only we didn't start a war about it, we just invited the Governer General over for a few beers and a party and said Hey, we're goin' solo, that ok with you?. ;)

The US was founded by people who were fleeing religious persecution. Canada was founded by adventurers, fur traders and beer brewers. The US gained her independence by starting a war with the King. Canada gained her independence by having a party. The US enfor...encourages immigrants to "assimilate" into the melting pot and Be American. Canada encourages immigrants to keep their own culture, but at least learn one of our official languages please. In the US it is considered un-patriotic and bad form to criticize the President and government. In Canada, its a national sport. The US has never declared a national language. Canada has 2 official languages.

These are just a few of the fundamental differences between the countries. We're different. Vive la difference! Its fairly obvious WHY we're different. We've been different from the start. Our countries were founded upon different principles. They've each flourished on those principles in different ways. If you're raised one way, it may be difficult to do a 180 and think the other way. For some it is, for others not so much.

Me, I'm Canadian. Will be til the day I die. Its in my blood, and in my bones. That ain't gonna change.

Yikes. Reba, I expect more from you. The US was not "founded by people fleeing religious persecution." They may have been the first people to land in what would eventually become the East Coast of the United States, but I believe that people like John Hancock, Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson were more to credit (or blame, depending on your views) for the actual creation of the United States. Chief among them, Taxation Without Representation."

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/United_State...of_Independence

Unfortunately, there are people who think that you are un-patriotic if you criticize the government. To borrow a quote from Barrack Obama, who borrowed it from Mark Twain "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it." I believe that if he were still alive, Thomas Jefferson would be amongst those calling for a change in the direction our country is going. Remaining silent when you disagree with the direction your country is heading is the highest form of treason. Without dissent, you have a dictatorship that is allowed to do whatever they want (Bush/Cheney). Only 199 days, 14 hours, and 43 minutes more of that nonsense, by the way...

The reason we haven't chosen an official language is the same reason we don't have an official religion. Speak whichever language or pray to whatever Diety you choose.

I find myself thinking of the hundreds of things I want to write here, but it just makes me sad that I feel like I have to educate, debate, and defend here in this Forum. I'm sure that was not your intent, nor the intent of others here. Maybe I have a different view of the US than you find in the Lower 48. But I should really thank you for making me do a little history lesson this morning before going out to enjoy the 4th. Reading the Declaration of Independence always gives me tingles when I think about what those guys put on the line. Not just a signature, but their lives. Maybe more people who are happy to be Americans should think about that.

Have a safe weekend everybody :thumbs:

Edited by Eric_and_Corinna

Timeline

7/11/2007 - I-130 NO1A Hard Copy

8/13/2007 - Son Drayson born in Sudbury, Ontario.

9/6/2007 - I-129F NO1

10/15/2007 - Trip to Toronto for Dray's Consular Birth Abroad, SS application, and US passport

3/18/2008 - NOA2 for both I-129 and I-130!! No touches or email notifications at all!

4/2/2008 - estimated that NVC received

4/9/2008 - estimated that K-3 was sent from NVC to USEMontreal

4/16/2008 - Received hardcopy from NVC

4/16/2008 - Packet 3 Received

4/24/2008 - Packet 3 Sent to USEMontreal

7/14/2008 Interview in Montreal!!!!

7/17/2008 Visa received

7/18/2008 POE Sault Ste Marie Michigan

8/21/2008 moving day...back to Anchorage, Alaska!

4/20/2009 AOS granted, 10 year Green Card arrives, Social Security # given :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I find myself thinking of the hundreds of things I want to write here, but it just makes me sad that I feel like I have to educate, debate, and defend here in this Forum.

I read this thread - I don't mean to be rude, but I don't understand what you are debating or defending - or educating me about, or if in fact you mean the forum as a whole....I dont get this comment at all?

I hope you have a good weekend too :thumbs:

Filed: Other Timeline

He's actually criticizing my simplification of American history.

Sure, Hancock and Franklin et al wrote the declaration of independence after the revolutionary war. But the actual people who came here first to "found a new country" were people fleeing religious persecution in England. No need to educate me Eric really, I went to school. And I have cable with the History Channel. I just consider the "founding" of the country to go back a little further than 1776. "America" was already considered a country before that. It was just not independent from the Commonwealth until then.

The guys who eventually "founded" Canada weren't adventurers, fur traders or beer brewers either, their families had all been in Canada a few generations already. But the guys who got there first were. And I consider the "founding" of Canada to go back way before the Confederation in 1867.

Semantics I suppose.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Yes, I was just trying to determine if he was just insulting you or all of us, but since it's just you that's ok :lol:

And I consider the "founding" of Canada to go back way before the Confederation in 1867.

:thumbs:

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes, I was just trying to determine if he was just insulting you or all of us, but since it's just you that's ok :lol:

And I consider the "founding" of Canada to go back way before the Confederation in 1867.

I love hearing the differences! I have a hard time understanding much of the American psyche and although I am just "renting time" until I can go back "home", I am sure some time in the future I will look back on this journey as one that has influenced and broadened my outlook.

Australia isn't all convicts and kangaroos but we all get generalisations, sometimes its hard not to get defensive when another American suggests it is "third world" but.

Belated Happy Canada Day to all the Canadians and Happy Fourth for the USC and residents,

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Timeline

I wasn't trying to insult anyone. I apologize if I did. Educate yes, but not insult.

Timeline

7/11/2007 - I-130 NO1A Hard Copy

8/13/2007 - Son Drayson born in Sudbury, Ontario.

9/6/2007 - I-129F NO1

10/15/2007 - Trip to Toronto for Dray's Consular Birth Abroad, SS application, and US passport

3/18/2008 - NOA2 for both I-129 and I-130!! No touches or email notifications at all!

4/2/2008 - estimated that NVC received

4/9/2008 - estimated that K-3 was sent from NVC to USEMontreal

4/16/2008 - Received hardcopy from NVC

4/16/2008 - Packet 3 Received

4/24/2008 - Packet 3 Sent to USEMontreal

7/14/2008 Interview in Montreal!!!!

7/17/2008 Visa received

7/18/2008 POE Sault Ste Marie Michigan

8/21/2008 moving day...back to Anchorage, Alaska!

4/20/2009 AOS granted, 10 year Green Card arrives, Social Security # given :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It was founded by this, it was founded by that.

Unfortunately this land was "discovered" by people who killed many of the original inhabitants off. Its nothing to be proud of on either side.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
What is wrong with wanting to eventually move back home? I just don't understand the mindset of those who resent this. :huh:

Neither do I. Neither my husband or I are committed to the complete severing of ties from our respective countries. Quite frankly, why should we be?

Also, how do you know if you will love or hate a place until you actually live there? That is where such a proposed list of immigration preference fails.

Timeline
Personally I think its nice to have the options open.

My sentiment exactly. It's a huge world, and I for one would think it a shame to feel forever anchored to just one place. It is precisely the movement of immigrants and travellers around the globe that creates diversity, opens our eyes to things we never would have known, and helps us grow both individually and as a nation - which I think is pretty cool! But I am not promoting a free-for-all of people living wherever they want, doing what they want, on their own terms. I believe in following the laws set out by whatever country in which you are visiting or living.

Even thought I'll never stop being a Canadian, and *may* oneday live in Canada again, I am now a LEGAL permanent resident of the USA. I emphasize LEGAL on puprose: I am not trying to take advantage of anything..... I am abiding by the law. To stay here with my husband, the law says that I MUST become a permanent resident, but it does NOT say that I MUST become a citizen. Hence, I abide by the laws of this country while I am here; I am thankful that I have the opportunity to live here and contribute to the on-going creation of this nation, and hope that my presence - however long or short - will leave this place just a teensy bit better than when I arrived. And I don't need to get in a preferred "future citizen" line to do that :)

heck, yanno, hubby has already declared that if he doesn't like living in Canada that we'll be moving to the UK after there!

After that, who knows where we'll go?

Point is, we married people, not countries. He may not be able to do the 180 to the Canadian way of life, just as I've not been able to adjust to living in the South. So then we'll be off to the UK where we'll both be fish flopping around on deck with no clue what's going on. I may have one slight advantage that I understand the language a bit better, having a Brit father n' all. ;)

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
It was founded by this, it was founded by that.

Unfortunately this land was "discovered" by people who killed many of the original inhabitants off. Its nothing to be proud of on either side.

I think when we make a broad generalization when referring to Europeans (and others) who moved to Canada, I think we do a lot of people a disservice when we paint them all with the same brush.

I'm sure in a lot of cases they came to Canada and lived peacefully with the native peoples and in many cases married and lived happily together :thumbs:

Edited by trailmix

ha! tell that to the native kids who were taken from their families and put in government schools for several generations.

Timeline
ha! tell that to the native kids who were taken from their families and put in government schools for several generations.

But that is my point - i'm talking about all those settlers who settled on the land peacefully and lived beside and with native people. I am not talking about those that decided native children should be taken from their families.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.