GaryC

Lets collect some information about IMBRA effects

1,434 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Readers of this thread - If you have not contacted your Congressperson or Senator, you must do so today. Tell them this abuse of applicants and lack of accountability by USCIS is not acceptable.

Sheep to the back of the visa line.

With all due respect, zethris: you are now all up in MY Kool-Aid, and you don't even know the flavor.

Your suggestion that those who elect not to pursue your favored course of action on their own cases should have their applications penalized is your own opinion, to which you are entitled. Airing it, however, has earned you 90 Rude Points, out of a possible 100.

Bottom line: you're not the boss of me. Adjust your attitude accordingly.

A ticked-off Tigre

Er, that was me, not zethris, that wrote your quoted statement :whistle:

I apologize for my poor wording, as you would be the last person I would lump in as a watcher and not a do-er :thumbs: You HAVE taken action and are definitely helping the cause!

My intent was that people need to raise awareness of the USCIS processing fiasco in addition to posting on the this forum. Aside from USCIS customer (dis)service, I think making a lot of noise is a good thing. It is probably good too that the ruckus come from all directions (senators, congresspeople, Ombudsfolk, lawyers, and other branches of government).

Did you read about the guy that got ate by the lioness? LINK Hehe, looks you are mauling us... :P Tigre on the loose!

Hey- Happy Monday and cheers to all who are fighting the good fight regardless of their chosen avenue :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zethris,

People have a right to be 'grandfathered' when something has been done contrary to the applicable law? Agreed that USCIS erred in approving some petitions improperly, but the appropriate remedy for that is to correct the error that was made. And that is what USCIS is doing. Doesn't ease the pain, but it does right the wrong.

Here, our rights, in my opinion, are being violated by the fact that we are not being grandfathered in for those of us who have already applied and been approved. ....

According to the information you present in your timeline, your fiancee never had an approved visa application to revoke.

Well now that the USCIS "officialy" knows, they can act upon it, and i am sure they want to immediatly train all staff on the changes and what this law means immediatly. Especially how the troublesooters plan to attack the flood of us coming in from both newly filed applications, and those of us who have had our already approved visa's revoked because of this. ...

Yodrak

I am speaking in terms of the people, not my current personal experience which hadn't gotten that far quite yet, but could very well have.

Readers of this thread - If you have not contacted your Congressperson or Senator, you must do so today. Tell them this abuse of applicants and lack of accountability by USCIS is not acceptable.

Sheep to the back of the visa line.

With all due respect, zethris: you are now all up in MY Kool-Aid, and you don't even know the flavor.

We are all trying to handle our immigration cases as best we can. It is ultimately our prerogative to decide which actions to take on our OWN cases. We do not work for you, we do not owe you or your agenda anything. I have already written to the CIS Ombudsman; the fact that I have chosen not to contact Rep. Kuhl or Senators Schumer and Clinton at this time is tactical--I may require their assistance on another, unrelated issue. I am simply picking my battles.

Your suggestion that those who elect not to pursue your favored course of action on their own cases should have their applications penalized is your own opinion, to which you are entitled. Airing it, however, has earned you 90 Rude Points, out of a possible 100.

Bottom line: you're not the boss of me. Adjust your attitude accordingly.

As for your secret civil liberties lawsuit, I share Pax's skepticism. I realize I'm not one of "the professionals," nor am I privy to the secret strategy conferences of your legal team, but from my view you might have a procedural due process claim, at most (FYI, I communicated the due process issue to the Ombudsman when I contacted him). Usually when there is some kind of procedural due process SNAFU, the remedy is at equity and not at law. That means that the erring party needs to FIX IT, which is what the relevant agencies are in the process of doing right now. As for a standard negligence claim, I admit that my plebian ignorance makes it too difficult for me to process that one, or to envision how such a claim might possibly be structured.

Which is just as well, since it's a secret.

Shhhh.

A ticked-off Tigre

To brass tacks, you ARE doing something. You are doing something MUCH more than just posting on a message board. THAT was the point I was making about those that just want to be a devils advocate to make miserable an already miserable situation by being lucid, and complacent in something that many consider a cause for alarm and a cause for action. There are many faces of a troll, even one that is purposefully rude and condesending in a place that has a lot of people that need support, not more questions. You do not fall into this category. you misunderstood what I was saying. But you are not one of those who just sit idly by and do drive by commentary on a message board which goes no where.

You have contacted, and offered much valuable information and support to us.

Edited by zethris

Meh, nothing to see here.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Bottom line: USCIS is charged with processing petitions in a timely manner. 90-120- who knows how many days is not a timely manner. This is a government agency, and as such is paid for by my tax dollars (and my application fees!).

Anybody remember "No taxation without representation"?? If memory serves, that particular issue led to some minor changes here in the USA :-)

There sure as hell is no applicant representation as far as USCIS goes. All there is, is stonewalling, obfuscation and hours hold time on the telephone for contract call center employees that know nothing.

They go home at night, every night, to their loved ones. I don't. And I have no idea when I will because of their lack of transparancy and inability to CARRY OUT THIER DUTY TO PROCESS APPLICATIONS.

Yes, I am not happy, yes I am willing to try to change the system for the better.

USCIS is, I believe, completely application fee funded. Your tax dollars are not at work here.

Why *should* there be "applicant representation"? You are requesting a *benefit* from the gov't. You aren't entitiled to it, it's something you can ask for.

If you KNOW that the operators, staff etc know nothing, why do you keep asking? Surely you can have some appreciation of the scope of the issue? Last I looked, US Consulates worldwide accept over 10 million visa applications per year---how many of them have petitions attached to them? The US has no vested interest in letting more people 'in' sooner---their feeling is 'here is the line, get in it', not 'here's your visa, thank you sir!'. They are doing their duty.

Becasue there is an error with 1100 petitions, you expect a mack truck to stop on a dime and turn? It just doesn't happen. It sucks to be one of the 1100, but it's foolishness to expect instant results. You know they are aware of the problem, you know they are working on it, and you know they can not produce instant (in our langugage) results (I'm sure it *does* seem instant to them).

You're on a path to madness if you expect a different result just for being temporarily unhappy. Really unhappy is your petition taking 3 years to process, which was not all that uncommon even a few years ago.

Imagine you live in the preInternet world when you sent your petition in, and went and applied for a visa when you heard back. No micromanaging an (insane) process with touches and transfers etc. And actually, that system didn't work *so* badly. Fewer people went nutso.

I wish you peace. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Bottom line: USCIS is charged with processing petitions in a timely manner. 90-120- who knows how many days is not a timely manner. This is a government agency, and as such is paid for by my tax dollars (and my application fees!).

Anybody remember "No taxation without representation"?? If memory serves, that particular issue led to some minor changes here in the USA :-)

There sure as hell is no applicant representation as far as USCIS goes. All there is, is stonewalling, obfuscation and hours hold time on the telephone for contract call center employees that know nothing.

They go home at night, every night, to their loved ones. I don't. And I have no idea when I will because of their lack of transparancy and inability to CARRY OUT THIER DUTY TO PROCESS APPLICATIONS.

Yes, I am not happy, yes I am willing to try to change the system for the better.

USCIS is, I believe, completely application fee funded. Your tax dollars are not at work here.

Why *should* there be "applicant representation"? You are requesting a *benefit* from the gov't. You aren't entitiled to it, it's something you can ask for.

If you KNOW that the operators, staff etc know nothing, why do you keep asking? Surely you can have some appreciation of the scope of the issue? Last I looked, US Consulates worldwide accept over 10 million visa applications per year---how many of them have petitions attached to them? The US has no vested interest in letting more people 'in' sooner---their feeling is 'here is the line, get in it', not 'here's your visa, thank you sir!'. They are doing their duty.

Becasue there is an error with 1100 petitions, you expect a mack truck to stop on a dime and turn? It just doesn't happen. It sucks to be one of the 1100, but it's foolishness to expect instant results. You know they are aware of the problem, you know they are working on it, and you know they can not produce instant (in our langugage) results (I'm sure it *does* seem instant to them).

You're on a path to madness if you expect a different result just for being temporarily unhappy. Really unhappy is your petition taking 3 years to process, which was not all that uncommon even a few years ago.

Imagine you live in the preInternet world when you sent your petition in, and went and applied for a visa when you heard back. No micromanaging an (insane) process with touches and transfers etc. And actually, that system didn't work *so* badly. Fewer people went nutso.

I wish you peace. :)

Are we back to the time where we should be thankful for anything that happen to us only because it could be worse?

Really?

I don´t know how it is for ou, but it kills me to have packet 4 in my hands, to feel so close to my fiancée and not knowing what is gonna happen.

Does it change how USCIS work? No, of course not. But the way they work won´t change how I am as a person.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Americanwoman, I think your congressman is as lost as we are. :o

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don´t know how it is for ou, but it kills me to have packet 4 in my hands, to feel so close to my fiancée and not knowing what is gonna happen.

Absolutely, and I in no way mean to diminish how devastatingly disappointing this must be. And most of us know that the not knowing can drive you crazy.

My point is that you and your fiance will do better, at least in your mental health, if you give this a bit of time to sort itself out, and not expect something that can't be delivered.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Thus why the USCIS hasn't had even a draft of the new I-129F form until very recently.

That is the current findings from what they could gather while I was there.

Because the front line people at USCIS didn't know about it, you project that "no one" at USCIS or even DHS knew about it?

Obviously a lack of understanding on zenriths part in understanding how things work....in particular DHS. To say or even think that DHS and the top level of USCIS had no knowledge of this law and didnt start until just recently in meeting the requirements of this law, is laughable. Yes a law was passed, but then its up to DHS/USCIS to interpret that law. This is not something that happens over night. Another post by another member is correct, in as the law had too short a time from the date of signing to the day of enactment, for it to of ever been concievable to be able to meet the requirements of the IMBRA by 6 March.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am glad you butted in, Aussie, ´cus I was getting tired of the pointless arguement that will lead nowhere. :o

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Zethris, Pete...sorry for the mix-up

I should at least check and see just who is in my Kool-Aid before I unleash the Kool-Aid man.

Everyone say it with me...

OH YEAH!

I am not a practicing attorney. I have a law degree and I passed the bar exam, but am not admitted to practice because I got a job in legal publishing and haven't gotten around to applying for my license yet. Publishing is great, but it does not make you qualified to give legal advice. So I don't. I just want to get married to my fella, which is why I'm here! If you need legal help, seek the advice of a licensed attorney.

Timeline of the Tigre

September 2004 - Tigre meets Dan while prowling about aimlessly

December 2004 - Dan visits Tigreland, USA

May 2005 - Tigre goes to England, Dan pops the question!

December 2005 - Christmas in England with Tigre and Dan

May 19th 2006 - Dan and Tigre's K1 petition received by VSC

May 25th 2006 - NOA1 issued...we're on our way!

June 20 2006 - RFE sent by VSC

June 26 2006 - RFE returned Express to VSC

July 10 2006 - NOA2...let's go check out the NVC!

July 17 2006 - email from NVC--case was sent to London!

July 21 2006 - Dan, meet Packet 3!

August 4, 2006 - Packet 3 returned

August 16, 2006 - sassy Tigre emails the embassy "just making sure the packet got there"

August 17, 2006 - Embassy e-mails back: Packet 4 is on its way!

Medical: August 24

Interview: September 15

Timeline

Thus why the USCIS hasn't had even a draft of the new I-129F form until very recently.

That is the current findings from what they could gather while I was there.

Because the front line people at USCIS didn't know about it, you project that "no one" at USCIS or even DHS knew about it?

Obviously a lack of understanding on zenriths part in understanding how things work....in particular DHS. To say or even think that DHS and the top level of USCIS had no knowledge of this law and didnt start until just recently in meeting the requirements of this law, is laughable. Yes a law was passed, but then its up to DHS/USCIS to interpret that law. This is not something that happens over night. Another post by another member is correct, in as the law had too short a time from the date of signing to the day of enactment, for it to of ever been concievable to be able to meet the requirements of the IMBRA by 6 March.

Agree.

And that´s why it´s taking them a long time to deal with this.

But let´s not forget the law was signed in early January, and this is June.

As we have a draft of the new form, shouldn´t we be optimistic and believe they are getting there?

:)

Timeline

---

From the website http://usaimmigrationattorney.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=2

posted by Gary Bala, immigration attorney:

"The article states:

"Meanwhile, USCIS is apparantly taking the position that standard administrative protocol allows a six (6) month grace period after passage of a new law such as IMBRA to issue the implementing regulations and release any new required immigration forms."

http://fianceevisalawyer.com/

Administrative protocols are usually viewed more flexibly than other deadlines such as statutes of limitations with a "drop dead" date.

Nevertheless, the Federal Register announcement cited above is an emergency approval request of OMB. This means that, if approved as an emergency request, USCIS will begin using the form immeduately (and for up to 180 days), while the 60 day comment period runs.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.ne...

We know that people affected by the I-129F "recall" are extremely and understandably anxious and are looking for any information at all, and are trying to remain patient.

Our information is that USCIS and State Dept. are well-aware of the "recall" issue, and as soon something definitive is known, we will post it here.

We cannot answer more questions at time. Again, information will be posted as soon as it is available and confirmed.

Thank you. "

05/06 17:21:08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I should at least check and see just who is in my Kool-Aid before I unleash the Kool-Aid man

OH YEAH!

Hehe... :P No worries, I was chuckling at your post as I was responding back. I love your passion, your future spouse is lucky and in for a challenge :devil: OH YEAH!

Back on the IMBRA topic...

Just think, tens of millions of illegals in this country never had to go through what we all are being forced to, simply because we chose to play by the rules. And we are the ones suffering. Tens of millions more in the future too friends, because the flow won't be stopped. How does IMBRA affect them? It doesn't. It just hurts the people that try to do right.

Thanks to the monsters that created the cruel, poorly written law that is IMBRA combined with USCIS having no accountability to anyone, and seemingly no ability to serve the public... well it sucks to be in love with a person not from the USA. Family values my azz.

Hm

I wouldnt say it sucks to be in love with an USC :o. It is just.....quite a bit of a challenge to come together again :).

Keep your head up, everything will be ok eventually....

Lg Isabel

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

02/28/06...NOA1....I-130 VSC

May 2006..Medical in Frankfurt

06/14/06...I-130 approved via email [day 111]

06/19/06...NOA2....I-130 received via mail

07/10/06...talked to embassy to expedite the process

07/12/06...NVC stated case completed and sent to FRANKFURT[day 147]

07/17/06...received packet 3 from embassy

07/29/06...received packet 4

08/15/06...INTERVIEW at 7:30am- APPROVED

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

08/23/06...I am back home

09/20/06...received greencard in mail

09/27/06...received SSC in Mail

09/23/07...our daughter was born :)

30/05/07...filed for Removal of Conditions

07/05/08...received NOA for I-751

01/07/08...college here I come :)

waiting for biometrics and Approval.....

usa1.gifKeith & IsabelgermanyWHT_rd30.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Isabel, those are encouraging words, and even though I am grinning my teeth right now because of the delays, I have to agree.

In the end it is simply a test of our patience..and thats all....tough luck for me that I barely have any patience :lol:

Edited by Aquelunya

The journey begins...got the package together sent FedEx OV 2/22/06

Packet received in VT Center 10:53 AM Signed by G.Merrihew 2/23/06

Packet returned, check made out for the wrong amount, I feel stupid :( 3/4/06

New check made out, given to Fedex today but will go out Monday morning 3/6/06

Packet received SECOND time signed by same person at 11:00 am, please God let this be it! 3/7/06

NOA 1-------------------------3/8/06

Check cashed----------------3/9/06

Touched----------------------3/21/06

NO2 approved electronically!!!!!!!!!------3/22/06

Touched, I guess they mailed the petition out today-------3/23/06

NVC sent out approved petition!!! YAYYYYYYYY-------------3/27/06

Packet 3 received by my fiance----------------------------4/9/06

Medical appnt.------------------------------------------4/10/06

Packet 3 sent back-----------4/14/06

Interview Date Given for MAY 15------------------4/24/06 Interview cancelled 5/11/06

Case reopened by VSC---7/13/06

Touched-------------------7/14/06

Touched------------------7/15/06

RFE Update!!!!----------7/17/06

RFE Sent back---------7/22/06

RFE Update Online----7/26/06

Touched---------------7/27/06

Touched--------------7/28/06

Touched-------------7/29/06

Touched------------8/09/06

Re-APPROVED-----8/09/06

NVC sent out to the embassy---8/14/06

Interview re-scheduled for----- 9/26/06!!!!!!!

APPROVED_RECEIVED VISA IN HAND 10/03/06!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I should at least check and see just who is in my Kool-Aid before I unleash the Kool-Aid man

OH YEAH!

Hehe... :P No worries, I was chuckling at your post as I was responding back. I love your passion, your future spouse is lucky and in for a challenge :devil: OH YEAH!

Back on the IMBRA topic...

Just think, tens of millions of illegals in this country never had to go through what we all are being forced to, simply because we chose to play by the rules. And we are the ones suffering. Tens of millions more in the future too friends, because the flow won't be stopped. How does IMBRA affect them? It doesn't. It just hurts the people that try to do right.

Thanks to the monsters that created the cruel, poorly written law that is IMBRA combined with USCIS having no accountability to anyone, and seemingly no ability to serve the public... well it sucks to be in love with a person not from the USA. Family values my azz.

Is there any way for a law like this to go into affect without any disruption or slowing of the process? This law is totally necessary and I don't see it as being punished for doing this the "right way" I see it as something positive and that it will start moving faster after the initial shock that the system is currenty going through. Even though illegals don't have to go through this, they also don't have the opportunity to have many of the same privelages as our future spouses who will become legal citizens, legally.

Also, pretty much when anything new goes into effect in any situation, it slows things down for a while until everyone gets situated so I guess we just have to wait until things get settled.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.