symbiosis

Arranging flight after visa

13 posts in this topic

Is it safe to book a flight to the U.S. once the embassy schedules the final interview? I just don't want to wait until the last minute, when fares (and fuel surcharges!) will be much higher.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Is it safe to book a flight to the U.S. once the embassy schedules the final interview? I just don't want to wait until the last minute, when fares (and fuel surcharges!) will be much higher.

I wouldnt advise it, no one can be that sure that they will pass the interview. But, if you want to risk it you can book it.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

well you know everyone thinks the same as you do, and we all want to do that, but i won;t advise it. no one is sure when the visa is going to be delievered to her address due to the difference of the speed of the service of NSO branches. good luck on the interview! ;)

K-1 VISA TIMELINE

Sent I-129F Petition..................................10/03/07

Petition Received......................................10/04/07

Check cashed..........................................10/05/07

NOA 1 Received.......................................10/12/07

NOA 2 Received.......................................01/30/08

Packet 3 Received....................................04/04/08

Interview Date.........................................06/10/08 APPROVED! THANK YOU LORD!

Visa Received.........................................06/16/08 THANK YOU LORD!

Attended CFO -Seminar...........................10/17/08 ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL!

Left for USA/US Entry..............................07/25/08

GOT MARRIED ('',) .................................10/15/08

AOS TIMELINE

Sent I-485 Petition..................................10/18/08

I-485 Arrived Chicago Lockbox................10/23/08

NOA Received .......................................11/01/08

EAD TIMELINE

Sent I-765 Petition..................................10/18/08

I-765 Arrived Chicago Lockbox................10/23/08

NOA Received .......................................11/01/08

AP TIMELINE

Sent I-131 Petition.................................10/18/08

I-131 Arrived Chicago Lockbox...............10/23/08

NOA Received ......................................11/01/08

well you know everyone thinks the same as you do, and we all want to do that, but i won;t advise it. no one is sure when the visa is going to be delievered to her address due to the difference of the speed of the service of NSO branches. good luck on the interview! ;)

Still, if I wait until after the interview, the flight will likely cost twice as much. Or else, I could split the difference by buying a refundable/changeable ticket now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Still, if I wait until after the interview, the flight will likely cost twice as much. Or else, I could split the difference by buying a refundable/changeable ticket now.

Check with the airline on their change policy. I bought Rin's ticket before the interview from Thai Airlines. They confirmed at the time I bought it that the departure date could be changed without penalty (the one-way ticket was around $800 in April 2007).

John

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

DO what rin did - most airlines will let you reschedule for a fee (usually $100 to 200 but sometimes even less - if you can talk to their representative and tell them why you are changing it, they may give you a break (especially if you know the local agent)). Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

my fiancees ticket was one way from Vn to the US, it was 950. i bought it about 2 weeks in advance, it was right after she got the pink slip. i did risk it by not waiting untill after we had the visa in hand. but i was willing to risk that much. i wouldnt recommend buying it before the interview though. paying more for the ticket to get her here sooner if something you might have to do, ask your self: is it worth spending alot now to see her sooner? it was worth it to me, i would have paid alot more that 950 to get her here with me!

N400 sent : 2011-11-18

N400 received & check cashed : 2011-11-28

N400 interview letter revcd: 2012-01-23

N400 interview: 2012-02-29

N400 oath: 2012-03-21

my fiancees ticket was one way from Vn to the US, it was 950. i bought it about 2 weeks in advance, it was right after she got the pink slip. i did risk it by not waiting untill after we had the visa in hand. but i was willing to risk that much. i wouldnt recommend buying it before the interview though. paying more for the ticket to get her here sooner if something you might have to do, ask your self: is it worth spending alot now to see her sooner? it was worth it to me, i would have paid alot more that 950 to get her here with me!

apologies, but I'm new to this: "pink slip"? what's that? I thought the interview led directly to the visa, usually within a few days. In any case, I'd probably wait until she got an interview date from the embassy.

i also did mine in advance and figured i would just eat the cost of a change fee if things didn't work out at our interview.

"the pink slip" is the approval. and in bkk the turnaround time was 2 business days for my husband to pick up his visa.

(some countries you do not have the option to pick up, it is delivered to you)

GOOD LUCK!

Please fill in your timeline

Edited by Kang Lang

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

i also did mine in advance and figured i would just eat the cost of a change fee if things didn't work out at our interview.

"the pink slip" is the approval. and in bkk the turnaround time was 2 business days for my husband to pick up his visa.

GOOD LUCK!

ugh! in the few days since I posted this question, the fares between Bangkok and U.S. have gone up an average of $1,000! I shoulda just pulled the trigger.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

GOOD LUCK!

ugh! in the few days since I posted this question, the fares between Bangkok and U.S. have gone up an average of $1,000! I shoulda just pulled the trigger.

I'm getting hit with the high summer time rates for flights where I live also. I want to get my fiance here from Thailand the end of July when I am there, so she can fly with me. If I were to wait until September, it would be a lot less for a flight! Also, it seems when you purchase a ticket from Thailand, the additional charges they add to an airline ticket a quite hefty compared to what they charge in the US.

Something I wasn't sure of. It sounds like for an immigrant K-1 fiance visa, it is fine to only purchase a one way ticket. It doesn't have to be a round trip ticket. Didn't realize that until I read this thread.

I was one click of the mouse away from buying tickets when my wife got her interview date. Thank God I did not! She had medical exam delay (we will know the results July 2). I will wait until she has her visa issued.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.